PDA

View Full Version : Gate check for Bugaboo Cam?

aloopylife
07-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I've looked through the forum and have found lots of useful information re: gate checking, but needed something more specific, and you ladies were so helpful the last time when I needed advice choosing between the Cam and Vista!

DS will be 3.5 mos when we fly to Chicago next weekend. It's a short flight with no layovers (whew!) and my main concern now is how to gate check the Bugaboo Cam which is still configured with the bassinet as DS still needs to lie flat. DS can hold his head up for about a minute or so at a time so I'm not sure if we should be switching him to the Cam seat option before we leave. In any case, if we stick with the bassinet, is it too bulky to gate check? We don't have any other strollers right now although we do plan to buy a travel one soon for a longer trip in September (at which time, I shall probably ask for advice here again as to which one to buy, lol!).

We'll be flying with United and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the stroller makes it through safe and sound. I do have a baby carrier so it's also an option to check-in the Cam, but from what I've read, it might be safer to gate check it so it doesn't have to go through the conveyor belt and potential rough handling.

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

Trigglet
07-02-2011, 01:37 AM
One thing to note: they now seem to ask you at check-in whether your stroller is in one piece, and if not (i.e. if there's a bassinet, or the seat has to come off in order to fold it) then I think they sometimes can count it as two items, which might cause you a problem/cost you some extra money.

Very often it depends not just on the particular airline (though I know that AA has started restricting the weight of gate-checked strollers in general) but also on the specific check-in/gate agent at the time.

Perhaps someone who's flown with a bassinet can give you more detailed info (I usually fly with my fully-reclining umbrella stroller, which we did for the first time when my DS was 3.5 months old, so I appreciate your concerns!).

kaharris83
07-02-2011, 08:34 AM
We gate checked our Frog in November. We have the Transport bag so I just used the Frog to haul that and some bags through the airport and wore DS in the Ergo. When we got to the gate I broke the Frog down and put it in the Transport bag. We weren't using the bassinet, but I think it folds up similarly to the seat. The only problem we had was on the return flight they sent the stroller to baggage claim instead of bringing it to us at the gate. I was a little worried it would get damaged but that bag protected it well and there was no damage.

poohbear
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I would DEFINITELY get the transport bag - you may be able to pick one up for $50 on CL. Then just break down the stroller and put it in the bag before you get your gate check tag.

MamaBear
07-02-2011, 02:06 PM
We've only ever gate checked our Cam, and have never used the transport bag (or any other bag for the Cam, for that matter). I haven't tried it on any US airlines (Canadian and European only), but have not had any trouble with it. I just have to remember to ask for two tags.

aloopylife
07-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I've actually purchased a couple of stroller bags off Amazon to be delivered next week to see which will fit the Cam. The actual Bugaboo transport bag looks so bulky! I tried looking on CL, but our CL here is pretty lame in terms of selection.

kaharris83 - I wouldn't mind picking up the stroller from luggage claim on the way back as long as the stroller stayed safe. :)

MamaBear - Did you ever travel with the bassinet? I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the Cam makes it through okay. We'll be going to Europe in September when DS will be 6 mos, and I'm wondering what stroller you used in Europe? Thinking of buying a Bee+ for that trip, but am open to other suggestions.

MamaBear
07-03-2011, 12:24 AM
The actual Bugaboo transport bag looks so bulky! I tried looking on CL, but our CL here is pretty lame in terms of selection.

That's exactly why I've never used my transport bag! It would be fine for actually checking the stroller, but just too much bother in the few seconds available at the gate.

MamaBear - Did you ever travel with the bassinet? I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the Cam makes it through okay. We'll be going to Europe in September when DS will be 6 mos, and I'm wondering what stroller you used in Europe? Thinking of buying a Bee+ for that trip, but am open to other suggestions.

I haven't travelled with the bassinet. I think if you removed the fillets so it could compress flat, and maybe bag the bassinet so the mattress, etc., stays in, it would be ok. Then it would be no bulkier than the seat - and maybe even more compact!

When we lived in Europe, we had the Cam with us. I LOVED having it in Europe! It has a small footprint, could be used as a highchair in cafes (although, granted, most places have Stokke chairs, which aren't exactly a hardship to use :bouncy:), especially since the handlebar can flip out of the way, and is fabulous on cobblestones. Plus the giant basket/bag is a bonus. I used to walk into the pedestrian zone of our town to go shopping and I'd load up the basket with our groceries and still be able to push with one hand. In Geneva, our hotel had the smallest-ever elevator, and the only way I could get myself and the stroller in was to move the handlebar; it was tight, but it worked. Seriously love my Cam!

We got the Bee+ for our last trip to Europe. It was a great stroller for about 97% of the trip. It is ok on cobblestones (certainly did a better job than my SIL's P3), but some times I just missed having air tires. There's a reason prams are so popular in Europe! The one-piece fold is easier in the scramble at the gate, but if I could have only one stroller, it would still be the Cam. #2 is a tiny guy, and although he's happy in any of the strollers, he *seems* most comfy in the Cam, and I think the Cam's seat is more supportive for little babies.

That said, I used the excuse of the two-part fold to justify a Bee+ :innocent: I pointed out to my husband that it was either a Bee+ or we'd have to rent a minivan, and that got to his German driver's heart - the humiliation of driving a minivan on the Autobahn :ROTFLMAO:

ahrimie
07-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I've used the transport bag and HATE it. You can't do it alone. You have to be traveling with someone or give a stranger your baby while you assemble and disassemble.

I traveled right around three months and because I thought the bassinet was a bear to travel with, I switched DD to the regular seat. I think it's MUCH easier to travel with. Plus, you can recline it flat anyway.