PDA

View Full Version : Stain for Rainbow playset/swingset?

corrie23
07-02-2011, 09:01 AM
We were lucky enough to recently inherit a Rainbow Sunray play system from our friends. It could use a fresh coat of stain and I'm not sure if there's something special from Rainbow that I should use or if there's something comparable (and less expensive) that I should just pick up from the hardware store or somewhere. I'd appreciate some quick guidance because I'd like to get a coat of stain on the wood roof before we attach it back on the system (from having just moved it) but until then the roof pieces are just sitting on my lawn and I'd like to keep that situation pretty temporary. Thanks!

carolinamama
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I *think* you can order some through Rainbow. Certainly call their customer service if you want to ask what they recommend. We have stained our Rainbow set and just used whatever DH picked up at the hardware store. It looks fine.

inmypjs
07-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Our local Rainbow sells their brand of stain for $30/gallon last I checked. It is the opaque reddish brown that all the Rainbow sets are stained. Kind of goes on like paint. Our Rainbow was pretty stripped when we got it, and we opted to by some different stain at Menards. It was less expensive and it is a more translucent stain that gets absorbed into the wood a bit more - less like paint. Just depends on your preference and how much you want to pay.

bubbaray
07-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I am just re-staining mine RIGHT NOW! :)

I am using Behr opague stain in California Rustic. It goes on VERY orange, but when it dries it looks pretty close to the original color.

ETA I chose opague stain so I wouldn't have to strip and sand or in any way prep the wood. I just painted over the old stuff.

corrie23
07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks. I got the Behr California Rustic (even had a rebate for $5 off per gallon through today). I was able to get it on the roof and my dad and DH got the roof up today when my folks were over for the 4th. I'll get to the rest of the set over the next week or so (fingers crossed). Whew, I can check one more thing off the summer "to do" list. Thanks again!

NYmommy2
08-26-2012, 10:04 PM
I know that the original posts were last summer but I was wondering how the behr stain held up?

corrie23
08-26-2012, 10:53 PM
The stain held up well. the high traffic areas (e.g., stairs) show more wear and tear as would be expected, but the rest looks really good. I'll probably stain it again next year (could maybe push it out another year, but I'll see how it's looking next summer).

NYmommy2
08-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Thank you for responding so quickly! What steps did you use (i.e. power wash then base then stain) or did you just stain it?

NYmommy2
08-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks,
Angela

For some reason my signature didn't work

corrie23
08-27-2012, 10:06 PM
The Behr stain is really just like paint. Our set was inherited from friends of ours and was in good condition. It had been stained probably 2-3 years earlier so I just painted it. No real prep other than brushing sand/dirt off of really soiled areas (near the ground).

I went out this evening to look at it again. There is clear flaking of the stain on the stairs and milk flaking on the "landing" of the play area. The low traffic areas (walls, roof, uprights, etc.) look good as new. It seems that the stain holds up to weather well and to traffic less well, (but still well).