PDA

View Full Version : Wish I had bought these sunglasses...

kaitlyns.mom
07-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I am in the market for a new pair of sunglasses. I tried on a pair today at Buffalo Exchange - Dior, $65. They were beautiful. :loveeyes: But my birthday isn't for another month. I am just sitting here feeling sad and wishing I had gotten them. :shake:

So what about your sunglasses? Is it one of those purchases you tend to spend more on and take good care of them, or do you buy inexpensive ones knowing they will get ruined? Have any recommendations for ones you love?

LMPC
07-02-2011, 08:03 PM
My last 3 pair of sunglasses have been Prada (on deep sale, of course). They have been stylish but very comfy. I used to buy cheaper sunglasses before I was in the habit of carrying a purse, because I was forever sticking them in my pocket and sitting on them. But now that I typically carry a bag, I just have the case to put them in. No more squished glasses.

TwinFoxes
07-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I splurge on designer sunglasses. I don't know why I love them. I'm not into bags, and have never had Dior shoes, but I've had Dior glasses! My current pair are prescription Coach. I take much better care of my expensive sunglasses than I did my cheap ones.

AnnieW625
07-03-2011, 12:41 AM
I have a pair of Gucci glasses (http://www.sunglassesavenue.com/product/gucci-2592) and I have had them for four years now, and these from Kate Spade (http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Kate_Spade-tekcnh/lb.html), which I have had for three. I got the Gucci's at a discount from a coworker whose SIL was an optometrist, and the Kate Spades for $50 from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale.

I really really want to get these Raybans (http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/rb4101/861-n1) though as I have been looking for cat eye glasses for the last 10 yrs.

smiles33
07-03-2011, 01:32 AM
I just replaced my 9 year old Giorgio Armani sunglasses with some Cole Haan aviator style glasses I picked up at the CH outlet for $60. I, too, carry a purse and like nicer sunglasses. The cheap ones are too flimsy and the arms would get loose quickly.

Can you go back tomorrow to pick them up?

kaitlyns.mom
07-03-2011, 02:33 AM
My last 3 pair of sunglasses have been Prada (on deep sale, of course). They have been stylish but very comfy. I used to buy cheaper sunglasses before I was in the habit of carrying a purse, because I was forever sticking them in my pocket and sitting on them. But now that I typically carry a bag, I just have the case to put them in. No more squished glasses.
I bought a pair of cheapies from Target last week and they were SO uncomfortable! Hurt behind my ears after five minutes. So more expensive ones are generally more comfy, right?

I splurge on designer sunglasses. I don't know why I love them. I'm not into bags, and have never had Dior shoes, but I've had Dior glasses! My current pair are prescription Coach. I take much better care of my expensive sunglasses than I did my cheap ones.
I am finding that as I get older I want nicer things that will last longer. Maybe it makes me feel like a grown-up. ;)

I have a pair of Gucci glasses (http://www.sunglassesavenue.com/product/gucci-2592) and I have had them for four years now, and these from Kate Spade (http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Kate_Spade-tekcnh/lb.html), which I have had for three. I got the Gucci's at a discount from a coworker whose SIL was an optometrist, and the Kate Spades for $50 from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale.

I really really want to get these Raybans (http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/rb4101/861-n1) though as I have been looking for cat eye glasses for the last 10 yrs.

LOVE those Raybans!!! Oh my. I am going to lust after those all night long.
:wavey: fellow Southern Californian. I live in OC.

I just replaced my 9 year old Giorgio Armani sunglasses with some Cole Haan aviator style glasses I picked up at the CH outlet for $60. I, too, carry a purse and like nicer sunglasses. The cheap ones are too flimsy and the arms would get loose quickly.

Can you go back tomorrow to pick them up?
I can check if they're open and call ahead to see if they're still there. I may have to. But now I am thinking of what outlets are nearby that might carry other options! I know we have a Coach outlet somewhere around here...

AnnieW625
07-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I bought a pair of cheapies from Target last week and they were SO uncomfortable! Hurt behind my ears after five minutes. So more expensive ones are generally more comfy, right?

I did get these (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/crosssells/handbags/sunglassshop/ovalface/PRD~571222/Apt+9+Kyla+Square+Sunglasses.jsp) at Kohls recently, and while you can definitely tell they aren't a $100+ pair of sunglasses I find them pretty comfortable and I am really liking them. Not saying I'll keep them for a long time, but for $13 they do work.

LOVE those Raybans!!! Oh my. I am going to lust after those all night long. :wavey: fellow Southern Californian. I live in OC.

I can check if they're open and call ahead to see if they're still there. I may have to. But now I am thinking of what outlets are nearby that might carry other options! I know we have a Coach outlet somewhere around here...

:wavey: back, and welcome to the BB boards. There is a Coach Outlet at Lake Arrowhead, as well as Camarillo, Carlsbad, and Cabazon. I also think there is one at Ontario Mills. I have found that often Nordstrom Rack has a nice selection of designer sunglasses too. I also sort of regret not picking up a pair of these Burberry ones (http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Burberry-tdqbqg/lb.html) there a few months ago for under $100.

mimosa
07-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I admit, I do splurge on nice, designer sunglasses (Gucci, Fendi, Marc Jacobs). :innocent:

But...I almost always find good deals either at Nordstrom Rack or at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale, which is coming up in a couple weeks. If you go on the first day of the sale there is always a big table with lots of really nice sunglasses (including Dior), and they are always much, much cheaper than retail.

blondflava
07-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I wish I splurged on sunglasses but I'm not gentle with them at all and it would be a waste (tossing them around in the car/bag/glove compartment, letting my toddler play with them, sitting on them occasionally, what glasses case?? - you get the picture...) LOL.
So cheapies from Target or (gulp) CVS, do. I do need to get into the habit of wearing them more often, I just realized how much I squint while out in the sun EEEK!

artvandalay
07-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I never spend much money on sunglasses. I am notorious for sitting on them, losing them, breaking them, my last pair the baby got ahold of them and broke them.

I just bought two pair of really cute Daisy Fuentes ones from Kohls this morning... $14.99 each.. they are super cute.

lcarlson90
07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
In the past I never splurged on sunglasses because I didn't like wearing them. I always felt like they obstructed my peripheral vision or something. A few months ago I bought a pair of Rayban Aviators and I absolutely love them. I wear them all the time. I think because the metal is so thin they don't bug me.

jvs195
07-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I have a pair of Oliver Peoples from 1991 that I bought when I had lots of disposable cash. I lost them once (left in a restaurant) but miraculously got them back because the person who "found" them took them to the shop where I purchased them and tried to get the lenses changed. The owner of the shop recognized they were mine so I called the restaurant and got them back. I took very good care of them from then on. They are a little wobbly now, but I wear them once in awhile. My regular pair are Landsend that I got on sale last year and they are holding up well although I hate the enormous case they came in (it does keep them safe when I use it).

DietCokeLover
07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I never spend more than $10 for a pair. Between me and the DC sunglasses are doomed for a short life in our world.

amldaley
07-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I have 5-10 pairs of $10 sunglasses I have assembled over the last 20 years that I keep stashed all over, but the pair I wear every day are prescription lenses Raybans. I have had them since 2006, one lenses is scratched and the arms are loose now from constantly wearing them on my head, but I love them. I love them so deeply and truely. We have a serious connection. They aren't super trendy, but all the better as they never go out of style.

pastrygirl
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I had Lasik done a few years ago, so I always splurge on good sunglasses. I take very good care of them, except for one pair that I left behind at a park (still heartbroken over those!). I also only buy polarized lenses. I usually get them on sale or at Nordstrom Rack for around 100 or less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ellies mom
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Mine are not what you would call trendy (http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Ban-RB-4076-Sunglasses-All-Colors/dp/B000MSGS0Q) but I definitely splurge on my sunglasses. But I also wear them for years. My "new" pair is three years old and they replaced a pair that were 8 years old.

I really liked those Ray Bans posted earlier in the thread though. I may need to check them out. My birthday is coming up.

g-mama
07-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I have those Ray Ban Jackie Ohh sunglasses! I love them! I have them in a blonde tortoiseshell and I feel very chic when I wear them! My only complaint is that they sort of rest heavily on my cheekbones at the bottom which only annoys me when I'm really hot and sweating, like at the pool on a blazing hot day. Then I'm a bit "aware" of them and wish for something a bit smaller. So, I just don't wear them to the pool. But I love them all other times!

DrSally
07-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I typically spend btwn $10-$20 on a pair at TJMax/Marshalls. I got a pair of Cole Hann avaitors there for $20 and love them (they got a really bad scratch on them somehow, eventhough I was really careful w/them). Does anyone know if the UV coating eventually wears off. I've had some for a really long time and my eyelids got burned this weekend.

kaitlyns.mom
07-05-2011, 01:50 AM
I ended up buying a pair of Michael Kors sunglasses at TJMaxx for $20. I love them! But I am still putting those Ray Bans on my wish list now.

MamaSnoo
07-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Lost, broken, left on top of car, etc.....I never buy spendy glasses.

Melaine
07-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Funny, I was with friends yesterday and one of them was wearing a pair of borrowed sunglasses. She said, "these are really nice, check them out". Wow! I have really been missing out. Looking through them, everything was really pretty and sharp. It was like the world was technicolor or something. Does anyone know what made them so much prettier to look through? I'm also a cheapo with sunglasses.

amldaley
07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Funny, I was with friends yesterday and one of them was wearing a pair of borrowed sunglasses. She said, "these are really nice, check them out". Wow! I have really been missing out. Looking through them, everything was really pretty and sharp. It was like the world was technicolor or something. Does anyone know what made them so much prettier to look through? I'm also a cheapo with sunglasses.

Quality lenses that had a significant polarization? Polarized lenses enhance color. Super cheapo sunglasses often are not polarized or are barely.