PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Naartjie

NCGrandma
07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
For my DGD, I've mostly shopped Hanna and LE (depending on the type of item). Thanks to the good tips I've gotten here, I also got a few things from Mini Boden at particularly good prices. As you can guess, we like all-cotton, and styles WITHOUT licensed characters, etc. (No thanks, Macy's, all-cotton does NOT make a Justin Bieber design OK...)

Today I stumbled on a new store nearby -- Naartjie -- whose '30% off sale prices' sign lured me in. I found some cute all-cotton short johns for under $10, so we'll give them a try.

Before I go crazy with yet another new brand, tell me how you think they compare to Hanna, MB, LE, etc. in terms of quality, wear, etc. Looks like now-7-year-old DGD is almost out of their size range, but for the new DGC due in a few weeks ... :)

jvs195
07-02-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm a big fan of their essentials (especially for the boys). I like the unique colors and patterns, but sometimes they are a little too boho for me. I do not care for lace and tulle embellishments (personal style choice) and it can be hard to match them if you don't purchase the entire outfit together (not my style normally). The quality is pretty good IMO. I've handed down or resold all our items and they retain their softness and colors very well.

daniele_ut
07-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I love their Essentials stuff for DD, who is 3. She has a ton of it for summer this year. I was tempted by their 30% off sale today too, but she really needs nothing right now! Their sizing in the infant range can be inconsistent, but I've found it to be pretty true to size in the Kid sizes.

I'm not sure I'd put it in the same quality category as LE, but some of the stuff I've gotten from Hanna lately hasn't really impressed me quality wise and I think Naarjtie is decent for the sale prices. I kicked myself that I missed the $5.99 Essentials sale last week!

hillview
07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I would say similar to Old Navy. I have about 5 items and they are all a little thin compared to LE but still in good shape.

WatchingThemGrow
07-02-2011, 09:33 PM
The sizing was wonky for the few items we've had. I passed ours last night but didn't go in. Maybe you were in there! ;)

kissmekate
07-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I think their stuff is adorable, but I would also say the quality is similar to Old Navy. I went in a store for the first time a couple of weeks ago and bought an outfit for my DD. She wore it to an outdoor event and got a dirt stain on the rear of the leggings from sitting on the edge of a sidewalk. It was near impossible to get the stain out and after washing it one time, the entire backside is faded and looks awful. As cute as their stuff is, I'm not sure I will buy it again. Although, who can pass up a good bargain...

KHF
07-03-2011, 07:36 AM
We have a ton of Naartjie for DS and DD. DD loves their dress and leggings and the essentials sets. DS wears a lot of their shorts and t-shirts (and their overalls are cute beyond reason, but they're only in baby sizes, so he'll be outgrowing the 2Ts shortly :( ). The quality can be hit or miss, but it usually resells well. Especially dress sets.

We love Hanna, but can't afford a ton of it...Naartjie goes on deeper sales more often.

chiisai
07-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I love Naartjie, but I also think the quality is not like Hanna or Boden (of years ago, at least; haven't bought any recently).

I also agree that quality varies between pieces; I'm glad to have a store close by so I can feel the fabrics.

Naartjie has fantastic in-store sales and clearance racks, FANTASTIC. I picked up some $3.99 spring clearance capri pants a week or so ago.

That said, I likely will not have anyone in the family, immediate or extended, to hand down to, and I'm really unlikely to re-sell. If I give it away to friends, though, I'm certain that it will be fine for play clothes.

novmber
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
naartjie is my favorite brand - i don't think the quality compares at all to boden and hanna. it very quickly gets quite a worn look - i list all my naartjie for resale as "VGUC with typical Naartjie washwear and fade" and that is a pretty typical way to list it among those who sell it regularly.

i almost never pay full price for naartjie - at full price, dresses are about $25-30 - but i buy them at 25% (if it's a buy one, get one half off dress sale) or 40% if it's a Treasure Tuesday item (every Tuesday they have a few pieces that are 40% off from the current line). they also have great sales.

for washing - you do have to baby it a bit sometimes - certain harsher stain products can remove the color entirely from naartjie.

for resale - since i always buy on sale, i usually do well with resale.

NCGrandma
07-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Oh, no! I didn't know about Tuesdays... This may be dangerous! :wink2: