PDA

View Full Version : "That's an annoying sound."

Schmitty21
07-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm doing a random pumping session at home tonight, which I so rarely do anymore.

DH is lazily snoozing on the couch, and stirs a little bit as I'm getting things set up only to say, "That's an annoying sound."

umm....... Yes I know. I've been pumping 3x a day since DS was 6 weeks old (barely-existant maternity leave). He is now 10.5 months old. That's about 9 months of hard-core pumping. 20 days per month, 3 times a day, 15 min per session, or 8,100 minutes (135 hours). I am well aware that it's an annoying sound. Sorry to bother you with it.

(I should add that DH is wonderful and supportive and washes bottles daily and truly does his part, but sometimes he makes comments like that w/o thinking. silly DH).

elizabethkott
07-03-2011, 09:14 AM
I think that you need to hook him up while he's sleeping, and turn your pump on.
At least he won't be complaining of the sound anymore.
:icon_twisted:

momm
07-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I think that you need to hook him up while he's sleeping, and turn your pump on.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

tmahanes
07-03-2011, 10:11 AM

I :heartbeat::heartbeat: this option!! You should totally do that!!!

jenstring95
07-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I always felt like the pump was "talking". You know, when you hear that sound over and over and you start hearing "Pump me, pump me" or something to that effect. I can't be the only one, right?

FTR, I love the idea of hooking your DH up to it! If he thinks it SOUNDS annoying, he should definitely sample how it feels!

Uno-Mom
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
I got a good one similar to this in my office at work. I have my own office but there's an extra desk in there. Sometimes a female colleague would want to use that extra computer during my pumping time. She was always welcome but I fore-warned her what I was doing (we're pretty comfortable with each other, obviously, and our backs were to each other so it was just the sound she heard).

Anyway, she always said it sounded like robots "doing it." Though she didn't use those terms. :) This would especially crack her up because my Medela had that two-speed dealy so it would start slow and then speed up...

Edit to add: KUDOS for your awesome amazing pumping stats!!!!!

bubbaray
07-04-2011, 12:01 AM

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

BDKmom
07-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I always felt like the pump was "talking". You know, when you hear that sound over and over and you start hearing "Pump me, pump me" or something to that effect. I can't be the only one, right?

I always thought that, too! To me it was saying "Let's go, let's go", as in come on and give me that milk! As if I didn't feel enough pressure to produce! Glad I'm not the only one who was hearing things.

Schmitty21
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the laughs, ladies. I, too, hear words coming from my pump. I guess it comes from spending so much time with one another, you start giving personality to an inanimate object, like Wilson from Castaway!

BabbyO
07-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm doing a random pumping session at home tonight, which I so rarely do anymore.

DH is lazily snoozing on the couch, and stirs a little bit as I'm getting things set up only to say, "That's an annoying sound."

umm....... Yes I know. I've been pumping 3x a day since DS was 6 weeks old (barely-existant maternity leave). He is now 10.5 months old. That's about 9 months of hard-core pumping. 20 days per month, 3 times a day, 15 min per session, or 8,100 minutes (135 hours). I am well aware that it's an annoying sound. Sorry to bother you with it.

(I should add that DH is wonderful and supportive and washes bottles daily and truly does his part, but sometimes he makes comments like that w/o thinking. silly DH).

I've SO BTDT! I had a longer leave (12 weeks) but pumped 3x/day at work until DS was just over 1 yo, and 1x/day at home in the AM. DH would complain that he couldn't sleep while I was pumping in the AM because of "that noise"

:hysterical: Loving this thought!!!!

Yes, Yes...for me it was more like, "Feed Me! Feed Me!" In the voice of Audrey 2 from Little Shop of Horrors when she wants Seymour to feed her more!