PDA

View Full Version : NYT article on stolen strollers

babybell
07-03-2011, 06:49 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/nyregion/the-stolen-stroller-an-urban-bourgeois-problem.html?hpw

Lock up your strollers, people!

scriptkitten
07-03-2011, 08:26 AM
I never leave home without my bike pump and heavy duty bike lock in my stroller basket

babybell
07-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I never leave home without my bike pump and heavy duty bike lock in my stroller basket

It's interesting, actually... I don't have a lock for my stroller. The only places I ever "leave" it is at the playground and we're playing on the structures, etc. I am always looking over my shoulder to make sure it's still there. I guess I just can't imagine anyone at a playground swiping a stroller.

scriptkitten
07-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't lock mine at the playground. For one, I can always see it, and I usually park it in a sea of expensive strollers so it doesn't particularly stand out.

I lock it whenever I need to leave it unattended outside my apartment or a store that does not accommodate strollers.

RunnerDuck
07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
If I am going somewhere I may have to leave my stroller, I take my ancient Graco. Serves my needs and no one will swipe it. :)

There was a news story in Pgh a couple months back where someone stole a kid's wheelchair from their van in front of the house. The wheelchair was made to look like a high end stroller - personally I suspect that was why it was stollen. Everyone was like how could someone be so low as to steal a wheelchair? and while stealing a stroller isn't much nicer I kind of wonder if that's what the theif thought it was.

sweetsue98
07-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Comments on this article are pretty harsh! I get offended when other people think I'm crazy for spending $400 on a stroller. I get the paycheck and I spend how I choose. Just bc I choose a pricey stroller doesn't mean I'm asking for trouble.

Anyway, thanks for posting, guess I should lock my stroller:)

RunnerDuck
07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I used to take my Bob out, and I used to worry it would get stolen. (I'm talking like when you go to the zoo or an amusement park and have to leave it while you ride the train, not casual to the park or mall use) And then I worried maybe I was being paranoid. But then I saw they make locks just for strollers now... and I worry if people DID see me using a lock they would think "Look at the rich white lady with her fancy stroller thinking it's going to get stolen, I'm going to steal it just to be an ass" - so I am actually just as nervous about locking it as not locking it!!! I find using my cheap stroller the best compromise LOL (I can also shove more crap in the basket of my Graco than my Bob...)

scriptkitten
07-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Urban parents and outdoor active parents know why $400 strollers are necessary. It's only the childless and the sedentary suburbians who don't. You can't blame them... They just don't know.

babybell
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Comments on this article are pretty harsh! I get offended when other people think I'm crazy for spending $400 on a stroller. I get the paycheck and I spend how I choose. Just bc I choose a pricey stroller doesn't mean I'm asking for trouble.

Anyway, thanks for posting, guess I should lock my stroller:)

Wow, they are harsh. Having a $400 stroller is indeed much cheaper and eco-friendly than having a car! I should probably stop reading them because they just irk me.

RunnerDuck
07-03-2011, 09:02 PM
It's also about what you'd pay for a good bike and they kind of fill the same niche.

mom3boys
07-03-2011, 10:08 PM
And (like a good bike) you can re-sell a pricier stroller and get some of your money back--would there be so much negativity if you bought what amounted to a $200 stroller? (bought for $400, sold for $200?)

ETA: My DH and I owned a fairly nice car that was stolen. We had parked it on the street (locked). I doubt a bunch of people would have commented that it was ridiculous for us to buy that car (which we got used, anyway!), so shame on us for not owning a cheaper, lower quality car!

MamaBear
07-04-2011, 12:36 AM
If those commenters believe that $400 is too much for a stroller, I can only imagine what they'd say about my collection :innocent: (My Bee+ is my 'cheap' stroller. Although I do want one of those $60 Starcks!)

And Qantas broke my Buggyguard :irked:

arivecchi
07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
:yeahthat:

mackmama
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Yikes! That is just awful to steal a stroller. What bike lock do people like for their strollers, and where do you attach it?

arivecchi
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FL04SC/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

I loop it around a wheel and the frame and whatever I am locking it to.

wencit
07-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I was at the Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose a few weeks ago, and outside their infant/toddler room (you have to leave your stroller outside) was a sign warning parents about strollers being stolen recently. A sign of the times, I guess? I don't know why, but it strikes me as particularly sad and pathetic that someone decides to steal a stroller. I suppose the idealist in me thinks that once you become a parent, you should strive to set a certain example and standard for your children...? I don't know. It's just pathetic.

mackmama
07-04-2011, 10:48 PM
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FL04SC/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

I loop it around a wheel and the frame and whatever I am locking it too.

Awesome thanks! Off to get it now. The twin trend continues... :)

arivecchi
07-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Awesome thanks! Off to get it now. The twin trend continues... :)

I really like this lock. It's substantial but not too long. :)

TwinFoxes
07-05-2011, 04:40 AM
I suppose the idealist in me thinks that once you become a parent, you should strive to set a certain example and standard for your children...? I don't know. It's just pathetic.

I didn't read the link, but I never once thought it was parents stealing the strollers to use. I assumed it was thieves stealing for resale.

My advice: never read the comments section of news articles.

Multimama
07-05-2011, 07:06 AM
I didn't read the link, but I never once thought it was parents stealing the strollers to use. I assumed it was thieves stealing for resale.

Although when things like a stroller get stolen I love to pretend that someone really needy stole it out of necessity. (You know, they needed my stroller to rush their child to the emergency room.) But the reality is I'm sure they are stolen by people to sell for cash not to use for their child or a child they know. I doubt they even use the cash for a child, but for something a lot less wholesome. But perhaps I'm too cynical. :)

RunnerDuck
07-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I was at the Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose a few weeks ago, and outside their infant/toddler room (you have to leave your stroller outside) was a sign warning parents about strollers being stolen recently. A sign of the times, I guess? I don't know why, but it strikes me as particularly sad and pathetic that someone decides to steal a stroller. I suppose the idealist in me thinks that once you become a parent, you should strive to set a certain example and standard for your children...? I don't know. It's just pathetic.

I like to think that, too, but I don't think it's true...

arivecchi
07-05-2011, 10:47 AM
My advice: never read the comments section of news articles. Totally. It's where the idiots come out to play.

TwinFoxes
07-05-2011, 11:26 AM
It's where the idiots come out to play.

:ROTFLMAO: Well said!

BabyBearsMom
07-05-2011, 11:36 AM
One reason it is nice to have my BJCM. There are so many of them, that they probably aren't as appealing for theft, right?

I can't believe the part about the Dad that tracked down his stroller on Craig's List and then met the thief. What do you say "Nice stroller. I used to have one just like it until some a$$hole stole it."?

strollerqueen
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Although when things like a stroller get stolen I love to pretend that someone really needy stole it out of necessity. (You know, they needed my stroller to rush their child to the emergency room.) But the reality is I'm sure they are stolen by people to sell for cash not to use for their child or a child they know. I doubt they even use the cash for a child, but for something a lot less wholesome. But perhaps I'm too cynical. :)
Do you remember how my iCandy Cherry got stolen FROM the hospital emergency room? Here I am in there with the doctors, cutting on my baby, and someone is so low down as to go in my car and steal it out of the back. Grrrr...:angry-smiley-005:

arivecchi
07-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Do you remember how my iCandy Cherry got stolen FROM the hospital emergency room? Here I am in there with the doctors, cutting on my baby, and someone is so low down as to go in my car and steal it out of the back. Grrrr...:angry-smiley-005:That's pathetic.

I even lock up my strollers in my garage. Yup. No one is taking my babies. :D

babybell
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I can't believe the part about the Dad that tracked down his stroller on Craig's List and then met the thief. What do you say "Nice stroller. I used to have one just like it until some a$$hole stole it."?

I thought the same thing! What an embarrassing meeting that must have been.

wellyes
07-05-2011, 03:46 PM
I know a woman who tracked down her stolen laptop on CL. They said - can't prove it's yours no matter what and you'd be REALLY stupid to confront the person.

I wonder if homeowners insurance covers stolen strollers?

I had an uppababy stolen once :(. On the one hand it was my fault.... Left the darned thing in the road for hours. But I left it for a real reason, I was preg and DD twisted her ankle and was screaming to be carried and I just could not carry her and push the stroller and my big belly too. my conclusion: some people just suck and are swoosh and mean.

TwinFoxes
07-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I thought the same thing! What an embarrassing meeting that must have been.

Gosh, I was thinking "dangerous" not "embarrassing"!

I don't get why a laptop couldn't be proven to be yours. You usually register the serial number with the company you buy it from for warranty purposes. Actually, I registered my BJCMD too. I can see why they wouldn't be able to throw the seller in jail, but it seems they could confiscate and return your property to you. If someone tries to sell a stolen car, the cops don't just let them. Hmm.

RunnerDuck
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I love the comment about how double strollers are clogging up the aisles in stores. Much less bothersome IMO than 2 year old twins allowed to wander free...

BabyBearsMom
07-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I love the comment about how double strollers are clogging up the aisles in stores. Much less bothersome IMO than 2 year old twins allowed to wander free...

I have a friend with no kids who frequently complains about double strollers and how parents are ALWAYS blocking the sidewalk/aisles with these "SUV Strollers." I usually just say "It's unfortunate. Most parents are very respectful with their strollers, but some people are jerks. Unfortunately, if you are a jerk before you have kids, you are still a jerk after you have kids. But being a parent and having a stroller doesn't turn you into a jerk"

TwinFoxes
07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Much less bothersome IMO than 2 year old twins allowed to wander free...

:yeahthat: ;)

BabbyO
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Urban parents and outdoor active parents know why $400 strollers are necessary. It's only the childless and the sedentary suburbians who don't. You can't blame them... They just don't know.

Ouch...maybe we just can't afford a $400 stroller says the not entirely sedentary suburbian, so we make due with the $150 babytrend or other "cheap" brand.

smiles33
07-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I get Scriptkitten's original point, but there are suburbanities who are active but don't need a stroller. We may not be jogging 5 miles a day like some do, but walking 1-2 miles is not sedentary in my book. I'm also a resident of the suburbs and we just don't need a stroller. DDs just prefer their tricycles/bikes and have from the moment they could climb on. Otherwise, before they are old enough to ride, I wore them (having DD2 in my Beco Butterfly 2 was awesome and much better than in a stroller, IMHO, because I could interact with DD1 on the playground).

RunnerDuck
07-05-2011, 05:20 PM
No, you really don't NEED a $400 stroller. I like my bike analogy. Unless you are really really hardcore, the Schwinn or Huffy from Target is going to get you from A to B just as well as the Cannondale or whatever from a high end bike store. It's just a cushier flashier ride. Either way, it sucks if it's stolen.

I had a decent bike in college I got for free and some jagoff stole the seat... I don't know why people do what they do. Didn't matter what brand it was, you can't ride a bike with no seat.

strollerqueen
07-06-2011, 03:21 AM
I've noticed that a lot of people griping about 400 dollar strollers carry designer handbags and wear designer shoes. No one needs those, either. At least a stroller is functional ;). Pushing a nice stroller vs. a crummy one is night and day. One is sheer joy, and the other can be sheer misery. :tongue5:

RunnerDuck
07-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah but it still beats pushing NO stroller. :)

BabyBearsMom
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
This article has totally ruined Craig's List for me. I was doing my weekly browse today and all I could think was "Is this a stolen stroller?" This just ruined one of my favorite goofing off activities :tongue5:

vludmilla
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Ouch...maybe we just can't afford a $400 stroller says the not entirely sedentary suburbian, so we make due with the $150 babytrend or other "cheap" brand.

Seriously. I could "afford" to buy an expensive stroller but I chose not to. I had a Peg Perego P3 which wasn't cheap but not a particularly fashionable stroller either. I just never used my it much and (GASP!) I lived in the city. I walked to the post office, deli, restaurants, bakery, grocery store, parks, playgrounds, salon, green grocer, health food store...If you can name it, I probably walked there from my apartment with DD and DH. I used carriers and slings more and she liked to walk on her own at an early age. It is simply nonsense that anyone NEEDS a stroller in the city. It is of couse, nice to have but people would do well to recognize true needs from wants and "nice to haves".
My MIL lived in NYC with three children, all about one year in age apart and she walked every day with them. She didn't have any fancy stroller to use and both she and her children have survived beautfully. Sheesh.

arivecchi
07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Did I miss something? Why the uproar? It's true, people who don't own nice strollers don't understand why they are so great.

Obviously, it's ok not to get one whatever your reasons may be, but a $400 stroller is not a waste of money as the commenters in the article implied. That was the point scriptkitten was getting at.

And IMHO, it is more of a waste to get a cheap stroller that has zero resale value. That is why these thieves steal the nicer ones because they have such great resale value.

smiles33
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Did I miss something? Why the uproar? It's true, people who don't own nice strollers don't understand why they are so great.

I agree the article was unfair and biased, but in defending the viewpoint that $400+ strollers are worth it for some people, scriptkitten insulted a significant number of us. Her statement was condescending, as if she were patting us on the heads, "Poor things, they just don't know." She could have easily said, "Some of us think it is a worthwhile investment. It may not be appreciated by those who don't jog 5 miles a day or walk 2 miles in crappy poorly maintained streets."

Originally Posted by scriptkitten http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/images/buttons2/viewpost.gif (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3187754#post3187754)

RunnerDuck
07-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I can't imagine not having a stroller. Babywearing is good and all but you run out of arms to hold stuff... stollers are great for stuff in addition to kids. Plus they will block the sun, whereas a worn baby can get burned. I just can't imagine not having one. I disagree that cheap won't suffice as I got by with just my Graco when my son was a baby and I am still using that one for certain things... but I don't think someone buying a pricey stroller means they have it coming if it gets stolen. I don't like that mentality at all. But yeah, I do have to wonder why they didn't have more sense to lock things up or bring them inside or SOMETHING. I have seen homeless people pushing evenflo strollers full of stuff, any stroller is fair game IMO. The stoop thefts, I kind of wonder at the victim. I don't blame but I wonder. But thefts from stroller parking areas strike me as worse because there you do have the "parents should respect parents" ideal and ... people just don't.

BabbyO
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM

First I'm going to apologize for my own comment. I was probably being FAR more sensitive than I needed to be. I get why a really nice stroller is more of a necessity in the city, typically. City dwellers tend to do more walking and therefore a nice stroller is perhaps a better investment.

Obviously, it's ok not to get one whatever your reasons may be, but a $400 stroller is not a waste of money as the commenters in the article implied. That was the point scriptkitten was getting at.

And IMHO, it is more of a waste to get a cheap stroller that has zero resale value. That is why these thieves steal the nicer ones because they have such great resale value.

However, I don't think its fair to say that people who don't own nice strollers don't understand why they are so great. I DO understand why they are so great...I just can't afford to get one. And as for resale value...around here, I can't get the $$ on the resale. I've looked for higher end strollers on our local craigslist and rummage sales. It is very rarely that I find anything other than a Graco, babytrend, safety first, or other lower end brand. When I do see them, they don't move as quickly as you'd expect because they are priced higher than the Graco's & BabyTrends.

arivecchi
07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
However, I don't think its fair to say that people who don't own nice strollers don't understand why they are so great. You are right. I think I need to get the image of a certain stroller-hating relative out of my head! ;) Aren't you close to Chicago? Tons of great deals on our CL.

BabbyO
07-06-2011, 03:21 PM
You are right. I think I need to get the image of a certain stroller-hating relative out of my head! ;) Aren't you close to Chicago? Tons of great deals on our CL.

Well, relatively close I guess. Its about a 1.5-2 hr drive (We're west of Milwaukee)...when 94 isn't under construction. Unfortunately this summer...94 in Milwaukee is a total MESS!!

I briefly gave up on our CL...I felt like if I saw one more Graco DuoGlider I'd shoot myself in the head! :)

arivecchi
07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
I go to WI all the time so the 2hr drive does not faze me anymore! I think the Madison CL has nice strollers too. Not as many as Chicago but you could keep an eye on that too. :)

BabbyO
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I go to WI all the time so the 2hr drive does not faze me anymore! I think the Madison CL has nice strollers too. Not as many as Chicago but you could keep an eye on that too. :)

I commute an hour to work...so the drive doesn't really bother me either...finding the time to get to Chicago...that's another story!

I think you recommended Madison CL in one of my previous posts...I checked for a few weeks and it must have been a slow time, because I didn't really find any doubles (which is what we're in the market for now). It was about that time that it seemed like everyone was unloading their DuoGliders and I stopped looking. I pushed a friend's duoglider once...I REALLY don't want one of those!

arivecchi
07-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I commute an hour to work...so the drive doesn't really bother me either...finding the time to get to Chicago...that's another story!

I think you recommended Madison CL in one of my previous posts...I checked for a few weeks and it must have been a slow time, because I didn't really find any doubles (which is what we're in the market for now). It was about that time that it seemed like everyone was unloading their DuoGliders and I stopped looking. I pushed a friend's duoglider once...I REALLY don't want one of those! Wait! You need a double? There is an MBUD in strollerista for sale for $200 and the poster is in Chicago! PM me if interested!

Thatchermom
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
If I am going somewhere I may have to leave my stroller, I take my ancient Graco. Serves my needs and no one will swipe it. :)

There was a news story in Pgh a couple months back where someone stole a kid's wheelchair from their van in front of the house. The wheelchair was made to look like a high end stroller - personally I suspect that was why it was stollen. Everyone was like how could someone be so low as to steal a wheelchair? and while stealing a stroller isn't much nicer I kind of wonder if that's what the theif thought it was.

Nope, that's exactly what they thought it was. At least, they listed as a wheelchair and not a stroller when they posted it on Craigslist - which did lead to it's eventual return to the little boy it belonged to. He's preemie twin with CP, btw, who just this spring took his first steps unaided. His dad was a former student. The thief was just an opportunist jerk. With no heart, apparently.

RunnerDuck
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
It was on CL? I never heard that part. I heard someone bought it in a pawn shop and then heard the story and returned it. You're talking the Pittsburgh theft or did this happen elsewhere, too?

sweetsue98
07-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Well, relatively close I guess. Its about a 1.5-2 hr drive (We're west of Milwaukee)...when 94 isn't under construction. Unfortunately this summer...94 in Milwaukee is a total MESS!!

I briefly gave up on our CL...I felt like if I saw one more Graco DuoGlider I'd shoot myself in the head! :)

I've seen some great deals on the milwaukee CL and madison CL. I was willing to drive 3 hrs to get a BOB but it was sold when I contacted the seller....I know, call me crazy!