PDA

View Full Version : At Wits End

marymoo86
07-04-2011, 01:08 PM
My 8 month old DD is driving me insane with her sleep. It seems to get worse the older she gets. I'm not sure what it is I am doing wrong. We have an early bedtime depending on when her naps are at daycare starting with a windown and bedtime routine. She has started screaming post bath as she gets dried off and before putting on her diaper. It's like she knows bedtime is coming up! I use to be able to nurse her to sleep and put her down in the crib. But now, she will nurse and fall into a light sleep but never fully get to sleep so I can't put her down. To get her to sleep I have to put her in the swing and then put her in the bed with me. I don't think it is teething as she isn't showing any symptoms and I have the same issues at naptime. It is becoming a real problem as I have had both wrists treated with a cortisone shot b/c of how much I have to hold her and the wear on the tendons.

I'm at a complete loss as to what I am doing wrong. I'm worried b/c she's not going to fit in the swing much longer.

Any ideas??

ETA: I've been trying to avoid CIO b/c she is sooo stubborn. She will scream easily for 45 mins in the car on the way back from my mom's and isn't consoled by pats in the crib.

wellyes
07-04-2011, 01:16 PM
That is the point when we Ferberized. I dreaded it, but honestly it was really a positive thing for DD. It taught her the important skill of self-soothing.

kaharris83
07-04-2011, 02:02 PM
That is the point when we Ferberized. I dreaded it, but honestly it was really a positive thing for DD. It taught her the important skill of self-soothing.

:yeahthat: DS was an awesome sleeper until 6 months and then it kept getting worse and worse. Around 8 months we had hit our limit and ended up doing CIO. Luckily little ones are fast learners and although listening to them cry isn't fun I just kept telling myself it was for his own good. He does great now for naps and at night. We're so thankful we did it.

karstmama
07-04-2011, 02:21 PM
go to askmoxie dot org and search 'sleep regression' and see if any of it resonates.

(i have no btdt because mine was tube-fed all night & slept through, but i don't recommend that if you don't have to! :D )

marymoo86
07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
go to askmoxie dot org and search 'sleep regression' and see if any of it resonates.

(i have no btdt because mine was tube-fed all night & slept through, but i don't recommend that if you don't have to! :D )

Will do -

OMG this is ME (except I don't think its gas related, maybe some minor reflux)!!!!!! http://www.askmoxie.org/2005/12/qa_nighttime_sl.html
Great no magic solution - just time.

alirebco
07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
How she is at daycare for naps? Can your husband take over the bedtime routine? Maybe nurse her before bath, then let him put her down after?
Has she always needed motion/movement to fall asleep?

marymoo86
07-04-2011, 08:39 PM
How she is at daycare for naps? Can your husband take over the bedtime routine? Maybe nurse her before bath, then let him put her down after?
Has she always needed motion/movement to fall asleep?

Daycare naps are hit and miss. Some days good (1 hr in the am and 1 in the pm) some days not...

I wish DH could take over but he doesn't get home until after her bedtime normally. She has always needed motion and refers bouncing to rocking but had managed to get to use to rocking until recently. I got her almost asleep by bouncing in the Ergo - should've tried it earlier. Will try it in the ring sling tomorrow night.

BabyBearsMom
07-05-2011, 11:26 AM

:yeahthat: DS was an awesome sleeper until 6 months and then it kept getting worse and worse. Around 8 months we had hit our limit and ended up doing CIO. Luckily little ones are fast learners and although listening to them cry isn't fun I just kept telling myself it was for his own good. He does great now for naps and at night. We're so thankful we did it.

:yeahthat: ITA. We went through this stage with DD around 6/7 months. I was dreading Ferber because DD is really stubborn (also been known to cry for an hour in the car etc.). There were 2 or 3 really tough nights with lots of crying and very little sleep...but then it was over. DD is now 15 months old and a champion sleeper. STTN every night unless she is sick. Bedtime routine involves diaper, tooth brushing, pajamas, book and then bed while she is wide awake. It was totally worth the 3 hard nights.

Katigre
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Do you think it's b/c she's getting more cognitively aware/smart and that separation anxiety has started? That would make sense to me - she now *knows* that you're able to leave the room and are leaving her and freaks out about it and due to that anxiety sleeps lighter than she used to?

That doesn't give a solution, but it might give insight into her little mind ;).