PDA

View Full Version : your fav Khakis?

DrSally
07-05-2011, 01:02 AM
It's been awhile since I've gotten Khakis. I used to get them from the Gap--flat front, med rise, slightly flared leg. I like the casual feel with a fitted T. However, I have not been able to find any that fit the bill. Khaki's these days--either I've changed or they've changed. They all seem too dowdy--high waisted and baggy legs--unflattering! Granted, I'm talking Dockers, haven't seen/tried any at Gap. The other option is really low rise, tapered legs, in the juniors section--um, no.

Anyone have any recommendations for modern looking khaki's? Or is that an oxymoron.

kozachka
07-05-2011, 01:55 AM
I think modern khakis are an oxymorone. I can't remember when was the last time I wore them, it's been years and years. These days I either wear nice-fitted jeans (white or blue), pants or cords (not very often), depends on occasion and weather. At least for me there is no reason to buy khakis.

TwinFoxes
07-05-2011, 04:55 AM
I think modern khakis are an oxymoron
:yeahthat: I know they're considered "classic" by some, but they're not as popular as they were say in the 90s, so I think the variety isn't there. I think your best bet would be some place like Brooks Brothers or maaaaybe JCrew that goes for that faux "old money" look. (When you say khakis you mean chinos, right?)

I'm sure LE sells them, but I think the styling will be anything but modern.

BTW, I'm not saying I think they're a "don't" but there's not going to be as big a selection as you may have been used to.

MamaSnoo
07-05-2011, 06:00 AM
I wear them to work some in the summer. I would not say that they are the height of fashion at all, but I do not think they are a don't either. Dress at my office is business casual, and it is nice to have a pair available for an easy outfit once a week.

The last pair that I got was from Banana Republic. I had to buy them "short," even though I am 5'7" (LOL!) to get them to break right. The "regular" length was crazy long. I like th fabric of them, it is a little smoother and finer feeling than the old chinos that were out in the 90's.

DrSally
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
That makes sense about the more limited selection. I used to wear them a lot in the 90's. Yes, I mean chinos. I saw some on the Gap website that looked like them may be ok, but I'm not going to spend that much for a plain pair of chinos. Maybe it's time to move on....

Trigglet
07-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Land's End Canvas heritage line is your friend!! I got two pairs recently in the sale and they are perfect - low-ish rise, tab fronted, no pleats, just the right leg width - I did have to get them both shortened as they were a good 1.5" too long (I'm 5'6!), but I didn't mind as they were so reasonably priced to start with.

The fabric is very nice quality and in general I am loving the Land's End Canvas line - totally different from original LE - not at all stuffy or frumpy!

Here are the ones I bought:

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/TheHeritageChino~203183_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::FKH&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-HeritageCollection&origin=index

They seem to be a bit low on colour choice at the moment as they've been on sale for a while, but they're a standard item in the collection, so I would expect them to get more colours back in stock. I bought the walnut tan and white, and I am going to order a pair of the Field Khaki - they're that good.

A word of warning - they run large - I am usually a 6 in trousers, and I ordered a 4 in these, and they're very comfortable, even after a large meal ;)

mackmama
07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I am not a huge khakis fan. I just don't really like the look of them and don't find the stiffer fabric to be very flattering. I like AG cords in a khaki color or other types of pants instead.

lowrioh
07-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I wear khakis to work almost everyday. I have a couple of pairs of Lee Reese pants and some from Old Navy that aren't too old lady.
http://www.lee.com/store/LEE_STORE_US/en_US/product/women/pants/natural-fit-reese-straight-leg-pant.html
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=69675&vid=1&pid=595183&scid=595183372

DrSally
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Land's End Canvas heritage line is your friend!! I got two pairs recently in the sale and they are perfect - low-ish rise, tab fronted, no pleats, just the right leg width - I did have to get them both shortened as they were a good 1.5" too long (I'm 5'6!), but I didn't mind as they were so reasonably priced to start with.

The fabric is very nice quality and in general I am loving the Land's End Canvas line - totally different from original LE - not at all stuffy or frumpy!

Here are the ones I bought:

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/TheHeritageChino~203183_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::FKH&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-HeritageCollection&origin=index

They seem to be a bit low on colour choice at the moment as they've been on sale for a while, but they're a standard item in the collection, so I would expect them to get more colours back in stock. I bought the walnut tan and white, and I am going to order a pair of the Field Khaki - they're that good.

A word of warning - they run large - I am usually a 6 in trousers, and I ordered a 4 in these, and they're very comfortable, even after a large meal ;)

I thought about LE Canvas, but they don't have short/petite. I suppose if I get a great price, I can hem. Thanks for the heads up on sizing.

DrSally
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I wear khakis to work almost everyday. I have a couple of pairs of Lee Reese pants and some from Old Navy that aren't too old lady.
http://www.lee.com/store/LEE_STORE_US/en_US/product/women/pants/natural-fit-reese-straight-leg-pant.html
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=69675&vid=1&pid=595183&scid=595183372

Both look like they could be options. The Lee ones look nice and structured, but I like a slimmer leg.

kozachka
07-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Have you checked out Banana Republic? I find their stuff to be more modern. My last pair of khakis was from there, bought on sale in long size and then hemmed.

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2011, 09:51 PM
My new Limited white cropped pants have been great and they make the same thing in khaki in various lengths. The boot cut, traditional length look nice:
http://www.thelimited.com/detail/exact-stretch-bootcut-pant/6432734

Beth

nupe
07-09-2011, 09:55 PM
LOVED the BR ones from last spring! Bought them in 2 khaki colors, one more neutral and one more warm. Interestingly the LONG was a tad more comfortable than the regulars lengths at first (I think i had both of them hemmed since I need a tad longer than petite) but now after washing a gazillion times I don't even notice the difference. They have a slight flare at the bottom and fit my slightly generous hips well. Waist was a tad large but not enough to get altered. I wear with a wide leather belt. They go great with several boden tops. :)

I don't see anything similar on the website today.

DrSally
07-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Ladies!