PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS first game?

KrisM
07-05-2011, 12:20 PM
I think DS1 is getting a DSLite. I want to pick up a game for him, too. What is a good first one, assuming it'll be a bit before we buy a 2nd game. Math would be good. Logic, puzzles, etc would be good as well. I'm finding some of those, but not so much math.

egoldber
07-05-2011, 12:22 PM
If I were you, I would get a used one from GameStop. They take them back for full refund within 7 days. That way if he doesn't like it, he can take it back and get something else. You never what kids will like or not like.

KrisM
07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Does that include EB Games? I did the store locator and the closest Game Stop is about 30 minutes, but EB Games is only 20.

Do you have some ideas we could start with?

thanks.

nfowife
07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Crayola Treasure Adventure is a great first game. Also my DD loves smart girls playhouse- I think there is a boy one too. Both are good intro games for using the stylus and getting used to the ds.

KrisM
07-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Crayola Treasure Adventure is a great first game. Also my DD loves smart girls playhouse- I think there is a boy one too. Both are good intro games for using the stylus and getting used to the ds.

To me, those look too easy. Does your DD still play them a lot? DS1 is 7 years old now. I'm hoping for multiplication and division types of games. He's not so into coloring in general, but I wonder if DD, who is 5, would enjoy this if she ends up with one :).

jamesmom
07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
I think the Lego games are good first DS games, assuming he likes the stories (e.g., Star Wars, Harry Potter).

mom2binsd
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Our library checks out DS games and our Family Video also has DS games to rent..good way to find out what he likes.

My DD loves New Super Mario Bros...she has about 7 games, some educational some just fun.

I got it for 23.99 NEW In BOX on ebay, I don't think Game Stop prices are very good, but I've found much better deals on ebay.

calv
07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
ANY mario game is always fun. we have super mario and mario kart. both a huge hit for the young & old :D

egoldber
07-05-2011, 09:59 PM
ANY mario game is always fun.

And this is why I think being able to return is important. My DD has never liked the Mario style games. I also think the Lego Harry Potter game is hard for a DS novice, but OTOH he is older than the typical novice.

KrisM
07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
We happened to be near one of the Gamestop's so we went in. He looked at a bunch and had zero interest in the packaging of any Lego or Mario games. The titles that caught his eye were Learn Chess, Learn Science, My Chinese Coach, Carnival Games, Cooking Mama, and Puzzler World. I need to look these up and see what I think. I also think he might like Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

We'd be buying from my nephew and I'll ask him to bring his games over too. I do not think he's selling games since his brother will play them still. But, I know he has some of the Lego and Mario games, so we can test those out.

Thanks for the ideas.

hellokitty
07-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Cooking mama is a really fun game. Like the others said, any of the mario or lego games are a sure hit. Professor Layton is kind of difficult, I have trouble playing it, lol. It's for older kids, but if he is really advanced, he might like it.

HIU8
07-05-2011, 11:02 PM
DS (same age as yours) LOVES his LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Batman. He also has Ben 10 Alien Force and speed racer.

egoldber
07-06-2011, 07:04 AM
The titles that caught his eye were Learn Chess, Learn Science, My Chinese Coach, Carnival Games, Cooking Mama, and Puzzler World.

The only one of those we have is Cooking Mama, but the "Mama" series of games are some of older DD's very favorite games. She has all the Cooking Mamas (there are at least 2 or 3), Gardening Mama and Crafting Mama.

I have wanted to get the Layton games for her, but have not yet gotten around to it. But that is her favorite style of game, even on the PC. Finding hidden objects, solving puzzles, etc. There are many in this genre. There is a whole series of Nancy Drew games of this type. Maybe there is a "boy" version too?

KrisM
07-06-2011, 07:25 AM
DS (same age as yours) LOVES his LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Batman. He also has Ben 10 Alien Force and speed racer.

DS does not like Star Wars or Batman in general, so I don't think that would be a hit. I tried one of the Star Wars Leapster games and he plays it, but it is not his favorite. He does it because it's math :).

KrisM
07-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Well, my nephew thinks his DS is up north and we'll find out in a few days. But, he brought the games they are done with and we'll keep them and try them out to see if DS likes them. Very generous return policy :).

We now have:
Brain Age
Learn Math
Sid Meir's Civilization Revolution
Mario Pary
Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Dolphinz
Tony Hawk American sk8land
Diddy Kong Racing
Transformers Animated

I'm sure we'll find something DS likes. I'll probably end up buying a few of those games.

soon2b4
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
DD really likes ScribbleNauts. She also has Garden Mama and Crafting Mama (not as good in her opinion). She likes to play Battleship & Sorry out of a board games collection - I can't remember what else it has on it. Professor Layton is fun for me, but I think she has played with either DH or I helping and that worked out fine - by herself, I don't think she has chosen it for that. She doesn't get to play too much - it is a for the car, airplane, Mom's doctor appointment kind of treat.

KrisM
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
DD really likes ScribbleNauts. She also has Garden Mama and Crafting Mama (not as good in her opinion). She likes to play Battleship & Sorry out of a board games collection - I can't remember what else it has on it. Professor Layton is fun for me, but I think she has played with either DH or I helping and that worked out fine - by herself, I don't think she has chosen it for that. She doesn't get to play too much - it is a for the car, airplane, Mom's doctor appointment kind of treat.

I've been looking around more and I think I'll put away most of what was given to us and pick up Brain Quest grades 3-4. I think it seems like the right type of game for him.

DS is not a big video game player. We do not have a game system in the house (like Wii). He plays his Leapster in the car, at appointments, etc. I expect the DS will be similiar.