PDA

View Full Version : BABYBJORN Travel Crib

AKMom
07-05-2011, 04:58 PM
We're going to the beach next week and I REALLY don't want to lug our co-sleeper. Anyone know of any deals going on for the BABYBJORN travel crib? I looked online, but the cheapest I can find is $200. Wondering about possible coupon codes....?
TIA!!

arivecchi
07-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Albee baby had 20% off this past weekend. Don't know if it still works. Code: july42011

RedSuedeShoes
07-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Where did you find it for $200? I've been looking for one for a couple weeks, and haven't seen anything less than about $230.

AKMom
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
It was at BabyAge.com but on second look, it's out of stock, :( I'm going to check the July 4th code!!

lowrioh
07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Not sure if this will work but it might be worth a try.
Drugstore.com has the blue crib at $219. Evreward lists a 20% off for new customers http://evreward.com/store/go/721
There is also a 5% drugstore.com dollars and 6% from ebates. If EVERYTHING works it would be ~$160.
I can't check it because of our firewall
Let us know if it works :)

zukeypur
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
have you thought about the kidco peapod plus? my cousin has the peapod with the self inflatable mattress and took it to a water park for her baby to nap in. she loved it! we have the one from onestepahead that has an inflatable mattress and we used it last weekend in the hotel while DD1 was in the hospital. It is much easier to carry than a pack and play and it sets up in a split second. blowing up the mattress was no big deal; I just used DH's lungs.

logan's mom
07-06-2011, 01:52 PM
We have a peapod that our 2 year old use. He really likes it. It's his "tent." I think if you start with it at a young age your child will be even more likely to sleep in it. Spend $40 on mine-Craigslist. It's superlight and easy to set-up. We have a handpump that we use to blow up the mattress. I couldn't imagine spending $200 on a travel crib that they would outgrow the same time as a PNP.

RedSuedeShoes
07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I'm having a lot of trouble imagining spending this kind of money on a travel crib he may only use for one trip. I have two older kids and never would have considered this for them. But...this kid is different. Super active and physical. Having a place he cannot get out of is pretty much critical for sleeping (and time-outs) for him at this age. I am hoping if I buy this thing, I'll be able to resell it for not much less in the future.

So...can anyone tell me for sure he will not be able to climb out of it?! He is 2 yrs + 2 months old, very big and very strong and incredibly physically adept. This is the only thing I've found that looks like it could contain him, but if someone has another idea I'd love to hear it!

MSWR0319
07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
A little OT but what is the difference between this travel crib and a PNP? My SIL registered for this, but can it only be used for sleeping?

AKMom
07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The Albeebaby code was expired and I must be totally dense because I can't get the 20% off at Drugstore.com. The Babybjorn is not looking so good for me!! I'm a little nervous about the Peapod because she is rocked to sleep and then laid down and I'm not sure how easily I could get her in there. Someone really needs to make an easy to set up bed that does not cost an arm and a leg!!!!!!!! So frustrating!! There are a couple on e-bay, but I'm afraid I'm pushing my time limit too much. I should have looked earlier!

AKMom
07-06-2011, 06:09 PM
MSWR - it looks like it's mostly that it is SO much easier to set up!! Also, it would not have an upper bassinet portion for an infant like a lot of Pack N Plays do. Also, some have said that there are no bars under the matress like in PNP, so the matress is possibly more comfortable. Really, it's the ease of set-up that's selling me. We have a PNP and a cosleeper and they are both kind of a pain to set up/take down. I just wanted somthing fast and easy!!!!

MSWR0319
07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
MSWR - it looks like it's mostly that it is SO much easier to set up!! Also, it would not have an upper bassinet portion for an infant like a lot of Pack N Plays do. Also, some have said that there are no bars under the matress like in PNP, so the matress is possibly more comfortable. Really, it's the ease of set-up that's selling me. We have a PNP and a cosleeper and they are both kind of a pain to set up/take down. I just wanted somthing fast and easy!!!!

Thanks for the reply! SIL really wasn't sure what to register for so I was just trying to see what it did. She wasn't sure if she need a PNP or not. I don't think a PNP would be good for her. They are a pain to set up and I don't see her handling that well!

AKMom
07-06-2011, 10:50 PM
The real advantages to the PNP, to me, would be the bassinet in the top and the changing table. We used both constantly when my little one was an infant. She pretty much took every nap and had every daytime diaper change in the PNP. I was really sad when she outgrew the bassinet part. :( It was SO convenient!! To me, it's like the PNP and Babybjorn crib are almost 2 totally separate categories for "gear."

Mikey0709
07-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I have had the Bjorn crib since it came out (probably 3 years now) and it has been worth every penny to us. LOVE the light weight (unlike the pack n play)... we have used it to travel especially and my son has slept in it until 3.5 (although a little small - he still wanted to sleep in it!). Now it's the baby's travel bed.

VERY easy setup/takedown. We have used it in a tent, at the pool, hotels, etc. When my baby was little i actually kept it in the car-- - set it up all the time when out at grandma's, etc.

We HAD the peapod - and sold it. We needed something that would keep our boys safe and RESTRAINED (KEY WORD FOR US!) so they couldn't get out and walk around - - which was deciding factor for us... they couldn't climb out of the Bjorn crib. they thought the peapod was just a play tent - - and they needed to be able to SEE us at night.

Also the mattress pad IS a little softer than a pack n play. We use the fleece baby sheets (recommended on these boards) for it - and they work PERFECTLY to make a comfy bed.

Though expensive - worth it for us.... and i'm GUESSING that we can craigslist it for a good amount when we're done with it!

kep
07-07-2011, 10:12 AM
I have had the Bjorn crib since it came out (probably 3 years now) and it has been worth every penny to us. LOVE the light weight (unlike the pack n play)... we have used it to travel especially and my son has slept in it until 3.5 (although a little small - he still wanted to sleep in it!). Now it's the baby's travel bed.

VERY easy setup/takedown. We have used it in a tent, at the pool, hotels, etc. When my baby was little i actually kept it in the car-- - set it up all the time when out at grandma's, etc.

We HAD the peapod - and sold it. We needed something that would keep our boys safe and RESTRAINED (KEY WORD FOR US!) so they couldn't get out and walk around - - which was deciding factor for us... they couldn't climb out of the Bjorn crib. they thought the peapod was just a play tent - - and they needed to be able to SEE us at night.

Also the mattress pad IS a little softer than a pack n play. We use the fleece baby sheets (recommended on these boards) for it - and they work PERFECTLY to make a comfy bed.

Though expensive - worth it for us.... and i'm GUESSING that we can craigslist it for a good amount when we're done with it!

These are all of the reasons we LOVE our Bjorn crib. We flew with it last year when DD was a baby, and it was super easy. I am not a fan of the (heavy) and bulky PNP's, and the great features detailed above really sold me on it. I bought ours new through diapers.com when they price matched, and it was a great investment. They don't come up on CL too often here. Since we are having another baby, it will continue to be used here. And honestly, DD still fits in it great. I don't think we are bringing it with us this summer since she is now 2, but I am definitely holding onto it. :love5:

ashleybama24
07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
What about the Phil and Teds travel crib? How is it different than the Bjorn?

lowrioh
07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
You can use the Bjorn much longer than the PnP. The sleeping surface is significantly larger so a bigger kid can fit in. My extremely tall DD can fit in it no problem. Also, it sits on the floor so there is no weight limit unlike the PnP. It has great resale value. The bassinet feature of a PnP is great but you can pick up them for next to nothing on CL. If you are going to register I'd go for a Bjorn and then borrow a PnP (or get a used one) during the short time you need a bassinet.

Beth24
07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
:yeahthat:

I love our Baby Bjorn crib so much more than the PNP.

BabyBearsMom
07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
The real advantages to the PNP, to me, would be the bassinet in the top and the changing table. We used both constantly when my little one was an infant. She pretty much took every nap and had every daytime diaper change in the PNP. I was really sad when she outgrew the bassinet part. :( It was SO convenient!! To me, it's like the PNP and Babybjorn crib are almost 2 totally separate categories for "gear."

:yeahthat: I think it depends on what you are using it for. I loved the PNP while I was on maternity leave. It gave me a complete set up for DD downstairs, which was key since I couldn't go up and down stairs due to my c-section. We got a lot of use out of the bassinet function and the changing table. I don't mind the PNP now that DD is older, but I wish I had a Peapod for when we travel, so we could have something smaller and easier to pack. But DH would blow a gasket if I bought something else when we have a perfectly good PNP.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-07-2011, 11:19 AM

I love our Baby Bjorn crib so much more than the PNP.

it is so much more comfortable, plus it is a thousand times easier to travel with (its' very light), transport, and assemble/disassemble. for a family who travels at least four times a year, this is a huge plus.

on our recent weekend trip to grandma's DS initially refused the PnP (grandma had one at her house already, we kept our PnP at home). part of it was sleeping in a new unfamiliar place, but i think it was also the pnp itself...the bottom part is really uncomfortable. the next day when he needed to nap (and cosleeping was not really an option) we put a standard size pillow (covered one good portion of PnP). that worked *wonders*, and DS was able to easily fall asleep in it. he slept in that the next 2 nights, no probs. but he is already 1.5, using pillows was never an option before due to SIDS concern. i am so glad i got the bjorn crib right away (thanks to the rec on here). Right now we bring that with us and DD uses that while DS can sleep in grandma's PnP with a pillow.

as for the bjorn crib sheets, we never bought any..$40 seemed way too much. i just used a regular crib sheet and while it was a little too big, it worked out totally fine if you tuck the extra fabric under the mattress.

kaharris83
07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
If you travel by plane often an alternative to the Bjorn Crib or a PNP is the goCrib. We have one and love it!! We had the Phil & Ted's crib, the Bjorn Crib, and a PNP but returned those all when we picked up a Guava Fsmily goCrib. It packs up into a backpack so it can be brought on a plane as a carryon. It's the same size as the Bjorn Crib when set up, but we found the Bjorn Crib needed to be checked when we flew, and that meant it would cost extra to be a checked bag. DS sleeps great in it when we travel and we never have to deal with him feeling like he's in an unfamiliar place when we travel.

RedSuedeShoes
07-07-2011, 01:14 PM
OK, tell me more about the GoCrib. I'm trying to decide between that and the Bjorn Travel Crib for our upcoming cross-country trip (flying) to see family. We'd also like to have something for weekend trips in hotels or possibly camping.

With the GoCrib, can you actually restrain them? That's the deciding factor for us. Also, we figured the Travel Crib would feel more familiar to him since it seems more like a crib/PNP - the only places he's slept so far.

kaharris83
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
OK, tell me more about the GoCrib. I'm trying to decide between that and the Bjorn Travel Crib for our upcoming cross-country trip (flying) to see family. We'd also like to have something for weekend trips in hotels or possibly camping.

With the GoCrib, can you actually restrain them? That's the deciding factor for us. Also, we figured the Travel Crib would feel more familiar to him since it seems more like a crib/PNP - the only places he's slept so far.

DS is as restrained in the GoCrib as he was in the Bjorn crib. It's basically a PNP without the metal part holding it up off the ground. One side of the GoCrib does unzip, but it unzips from the outside. When it's inflated it's very sturdy and DS has never tried, nor do I think he would even be able to climb out. I believe it's the same height as the Bjorn crib. The sleeping part is mesh like a PNP. Not sure if you're near an REI but they sell them in store now and you could check one out there. The Bjorn crib is nice but we were just really disappointed with it's packed size and that it had to be checked when you flew with it. If you travel occasionally, no big deal, but we've been on 12 flights and DS isn't even 12 months old yet, so that would have been another $25 at least each flight to check the crib. The GoCrib packs up into a backpack so it's great for traveling by air.

RedSuedeShoes
07-07-2011, 04:54 PM
OK, good to know. I should be able to get to an REI to check it out with toddler in tow so we can see how it goes with him in there.

Thanks!

kaharris83
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
http://www.rei.com/product/814968/guava-family-gocrib-inflatable-crib

Looks like you can check online if it's in stock at REI before you go too.

Beth24
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
DS is as restrained in the GoCrib as he was in the Bjorn crib. It's basically a PNP without the metal part holding it up off the ground. One side of the GoCrib does unzip, but it unzips from the outside. When it's inflated it's very sturdy and DS has never tried, nor do I think he would even be able to climb out. I believe it's the same height as the Bjorn crib. The sleeping part is mesh like a PNP. Not sure if you're near an REI but they sell them in store now and you could check one out there. The Bjorn crib is nice but we were just really disappointed with it's packed size and that it had to be checked when you flew with it. If you travel occasionally, no big deal, but we've been on 12 flights and DS isn't even 12 months old yet, so that would have been another $25 at least each flight to check the crib. The GoCrib packs up into a backpack so it's great for traveling by air.

We just traveled with the Bjorn crib and packed it in a duffle bag with some clothing and checked it. We used a larger duffle, but we had the same number of checked bags as we would have without it.

kaharris83
07-07-2011, 06:07 PM
We just traveled with the Bjorn crib and packed it in a duffle bag with some clothing and checked it. We used a larger duffle, but we had the same number of checked bags as we would have without it.

We don't check bags when we travel so it would be the only checked bag for us. But if you have room in bags that you check to spare then the Bjorn crib would work as well as the GoCrib I would think. Or if you don't mind paying to check it by itself. I just always like to be sure that people realize it has to be checked because when I read reviews and recommendations for it that wasn't mentioned and when it arrived I was shocked at how big it was and that it wouldn't fit in a carry on.

Beth24
07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
We don't check bags when we travel so it would be the only checked bag for us. But if you have room in bags that you check to spare then the Bjorn crib would work as well as the GoCrib I would think. Or if you don't mind paying to check it by itself. I just always like to be sure that people realize it has to be checked because when I read reviews and recommendations for it that wasn't mentioned and when it arrived I was shocked at how big it was and that it wouldn't fit in a carry on.

I am so impressed that you are able to travel with kids and no checked luggage. :bowdown: My DH hates to check luggage, but gave up years ago once he saw how much stuff we need to bring for the kids!

RedSuedeShoes
07-08-2011, 01:00 AM
I just looked at the GoCrib again through the link you provided, and realized the top is actually open. For some reason, I thought the top was enclosed and I thought that would freak my little guy out. With the info you provided and that realization, we are definitely leaning toward that option. Thank you for your help!

kaharris83
07-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I am so impressed that you are able to travel with kids and no checked luggage. :bowdown: My DH hates to check luggage, but gave up years ago once he saw how much stuff we need to bring for the kids!

I used to be a flight attendant so I have lots of practice packing a crazy amount of stuff into a little bag. DH travels constantly for work so he's gotten pretty good at packing as well. Normally I order ahead diapers to be delivered, or pick them up when we get there so that cuts down on a big item that otherwise needs packed. We always buy DS a seat so technically we can bring 3 carry-ons and 3 personal items, but since DS is too small to roll his own bag and we haven't mastered doing it either, we usually make it with 2 rolling carry-ons, a backpack/diaperbag, my pump bag, and the GoCrib. I think we'll have to wait until DS is old enough to be responsible for his own bag before adding any siblings though, or start checking bags. :ROTFLMAO:

I just looked at the GoCrib again through the link you provided, and realized the top is actually open. For some reason, I thought the top was enclosed and I thought that would freak my little guy out. With the info you provided and that realization, we are definitely leaning toward that option. Thank you for your help!

You're welcome. They did just release a new sunshade accessory that I think covers the top of the GoCrib. It's available separately though. And a mosquito net and some sheets. We use PNP sheets and they fit just fine.

RedSuedeShoes
07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
We have 3 kids (10, 6 and 2) and we don't check bags either. We generally try to get by with just two backpacks to carry on (one for snacks and diapering stuff, one for books/toys/electronics). Then we pack one huge suitcase and ship it to our destination the day before we travel. I think it costs about $100, but it's so worth it to not have to deal with it when we're traveling cross-country with 3 kids. We always have a box or two of stuff we've accumulated along the way to ship back to ourselves by the end of the trip, too.

Of course, we only take one trip a year and usually get at least a few of our tickets using credit card miles. Then we stay with family, so all of that brings the cost of the whole trip down.

We also order things like diapers and some toiletries to be delivered to our destination ahead of time.

BabiMama
07-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I bought the Bjorn crib for a recent trip and was able to carry it on the plane. It is just under the overall size requirement for carry on luggage (At least on AirTran). One flight attendant acted like it should have been gate checked because of size, but we put it in the overhead bins on both flights. Just wanted to clarify that you can likely count it as one of your carry on pieces without paying the extra $25 to check it.
Love the crib so much more than a PNP. Not sure how well it could contain an active 2 year old, it is possible they could use their weight to tip it over if really trying to get out. Set up is SO easy and fast. Literally takes less than 30 seconds to get it out of the case and set up.
For a deal, I got mine at Kohls.com for $185 (was on sale and had 30% off coupon) plus $30 back in Kohl's cash. It doesn't look like they are selling it right now, but check back as I think they take things off the website when out of stock.
Good luck! I was in your shoes trying to make this decision a month ago. GoCrib was my second choice but couldn't justify the price and wasn't sure how easily I could resell.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-09-2011, 10:49 PM
interesting about the checked luggage issue. when we travel with kids we always check suitcases in, so checking the bjorn crib is no biggie. dh travels a ton for work and he has elite status or whatever on American so it's always free for us to check in bags so might as well.

also, with 2 under 2 it's pretty hard to manage not checking any bags in and having to everything thru security and then on the plane....there are already so many things to carry on (diaper bag, snacks, breast pump, dvd player, carseat, etc) i don't really want to deal with carrying yet one another thing.

the only downside to having to check the bjorn crib in is that we don't have it with us for baby to nap or play in, in case of a long delay or whatever. but once ds got older it was a non-issue bc he was too old/active to be in it when he wasn't sleeping.