PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Hackers book shelves idea

Pinky
07-05-2011, 07:45 PM
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/04/books-budgets-and-bekvams.html

I think this is the neatest idea but at what age could you use this without fear of kiddos trying to climb it? My 1.5 yo would be trying to climb right up that thing but once she gets out of this climbing stage I'm definitely going to use this idea.

cntrymoon2
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I did this last month and LOVE the results. My DD is 21 months, and does climb them. DH anchored them to the wall 2 anchors that hold up to 30 lbs, so hopefully that will keep them intact until she outgrows the climbing stage. Fwiw, she only climbs on the bottom step, it's not like she uses them as a ladder (yet.)

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I did this last month and LOVE the results. My DD is 21 months, and does climb them. DH anchored them to the wall 2 anchors that hold up to 30 lbs, so hopefully that will keep them intact until she outgrows the climbing stage. Fwiw, she only climbs on the bottom step, it's not like she uses them as a ladder (yet.)

Good idea on using sturdy wall anchors. I just love the look of this... do you have a picture of yours? And I like the yet at the end of your sentence... you just never know with these kiddos. :)

wellyes
07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
If it were me, I'd hang the racks vertically, not horizontally. From a safety perspective and also because I'd want my LOs to be able to access all the different books!

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
If it were me, I'd hang the racks vertically, not horizontally. From a safety perspective and also because I'd want my LOs to be able to access all the different books!

I'm confused... how would they hold books if they were vertical?

brittone2
07-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I have some of these painted and ready to go in DS1's room. I was waiting until we got his walls painted to put them up. He's old enough that I don't have to worry about him climbing them though ;)

wellyes
07-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm confused... how would they hold books if they were vertical?

Sorry, I got that 100% backwards! I mean I'd install them horizontally instead of vertically... meaning I'd put all the racks at kid eye-level.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Sorry, I got that 100% backwards! I mean I'd install them horizontally instead of vertically... meaning I'd put all the racks at kid eye-level.

Oh, I see what you mean now... good idea!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
this is pretty cool!

i like wellyes' suggestion of putting them horizontally instead. in the picture, it looks like most little ones would only be able to access the bottom 2 rows of shelves. and yeah, there's the climbing issue (that would be a main concern here with DS).

only problem is i imagine it would be harder to find wall space to put many shelves horizontally. i would maybe do 2 rows of 3 across.

Pinky
07-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Bumping this back up... just saw this link in another post:
http://raisingolives.com/2009/07/raingutter-book-shelves-tutorial/

Seems like a neat way to display books horizontally.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Bumping this back up... just saw this link in another post:
http://raisingolives.com/2009/07/raingutter-book-shelves-tutorial/

Seems like a neat way to display books horizontally.

oh i LOVE that!!