PDA

View Full Version : Is it weird to have the nanny bring the kids to a birthday party?

goldenpig
07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
DD was invited to a birthday party of one of her classmates. It looks like her whole class was invited. I am working that weekend so we are going to have the nanny watching the kids. Would it be too weird to have the nanny bring the kids to a birthday party? I don't know what DH's schedule is yet, but I know he would rather have a root canal than attend a birthday party alone with the kids so that's not an option. So it's either the nanny brings the kids (she would have to bring DD and DS, but the invitation did say siblings are welcome) or I decline, or I say maybe, but only if it's not busy at work (sometimes if it's quiet I can get done quickly so I might still be able to bring her). But I won't have any idea how busy I will be until that day, so I might have to not show up at the last minute, which doesn't seem that ideal either.

It's at a community center nearby, there is a pool there with "optional swimming after the party". The pool makes me a little nervous (I wouldn't have DD swim, but worried about DS falling in), although I think the pool is fenced off so I don't think it would be a dealbreaker. But I am leaning towards declining the invitation, especially since I am not that close to the parents, just acquaintances, and as far as I know this isn't one of DD's close friends at school.

We already have a couple more birthday parties lined up (and DD's is coming up too) so it's not like there's any shortage of parties for DD to attend. It's just that I feel bad that this is the second party that DD will miss in the last couple months because I'm working (the other one was also a classmate, and it was at a gymnastics place in the city so I didn't feel comfortable with the nanny driving them that far). I'm just curious what you all think, whether you would feel weird or think it's strange if a child you invited to a birthday party showed up with the nanny instead of a parent. (Dropoffs are not the norm around here/at her age yet). WWYD if you were in my situation? I know if I ask DD if she wants to go, she will say yes, so I have to decide on my own.

ETA: I do have the nanny bring the kids to activities like children's museum, park, library etc. so her driving them around is not a problem for me.

sariana
07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
That wouldn't faze me at all. I've had aunts bring kids when the parents couldn't come (I knew the parents but not the aunt--until that day!). That doesn't seem any different to me.

I don't see why having the nanny take the kids to a party would be a problem.

mikeys_mom
07-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Around here it wouldn't be a big deal at all. I'd let them go with the nanny.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Around here it wouldn't be a big deal at all. I'd let them go with the nanny.

:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Happens all the time here. Only problem is that everyone will assume she is the mom and talk to her as such...which I have done many times. :)

Beth

Beth24
07-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Happens all the time here. Only problem is that everyone will assume she is the mom and talk to her as such...which I have done many times. :)

Beth

That happens to me all the time! Sometimes I have really interesting conversations too.

OP, if my mom or another parent brings one of my kids to a party I let the invitee know, just as a courtesy. I always say how sorry I am that I cannot make it, but that xxxx will be bringing the kids.

AnnieW625
07-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't have an issue with it. My DCP got mistaken for DD1's mom at preschool a lot this year because she did drop off and pick up.