PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have BTDT experience with Bird Mites?

AuGoldie
07-05-2011, 09:43 PM
This spring a bird built a nest in a broken eve in our roof. I didn'tknow this but birds are filled with thousands of tiny parasitic mites. When the birds left the nest the mites migrated into our home looking for a blood meal. We have been getting bit for going on 2months and exterminators are providing very little help. The internet has a whole bunch of scary info about these things and I can't seem to find anyone that has eradicated them successfully. But some of the people on these sites sound like they might be a little delusional. Any info. would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks

alexsmommy
07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I had a client go through this. I know she had to take three days off work to eradicate them, including washing every sheet and towel in hot water several times and use chemicals she would never normally use on the hard surfaces including the headboards. Then she had to do it all again 10 days later to get the ones that hadnt hatched during the first cleaning. It sounded like a nightmare, but she was successful.

gordo
07-05-2011, 10:54 PM
We had bird mites last summer. The stories on the internet scared the crap out of me, but it wasn't that bad for us. We had birds make a nest in our wall and the mites came in when the birds left the nest. i was the only one reacting to the bites, but they were all over my body. I itched, I couldn't sleep thinking about them crawling on me, etc. We called 3 exterminators who all said that it would be a waste of money to have them come out. That the best way to get rid of them is to remove the nest, spray the hole, close it up and then wash/vacuum the house from top to bottom.

The girls and I moved in with my parents for two weeks while my husband literally washed and bagged every fabric item in my house. Vacuumed from roof to ceiling, washed the walls, etc. Two weeks later, I came back home. I did find a few mites here and there that week and then we didn't have another problem.

Good luck. It totally sucks but in my experience we were able to get rid of them. And I definitely will not be so nice to let birds stay the next time!!!

niccig
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
We had bird mites last summer. The stories on the internet scared the crap out of me, but it wasn't that bad for us. We had birds make a nest in our wall and the mites came in when the birds left the nest. i was the only one reacting to the bites, but they were all over my body. I itched, I couldn't sleep thinking about them crawling on me, etc. We called 3 exterminators who all said that it would be a waste of money to have them come out. That the best way to get rid of them is to remove the nest, spray the hole, close it up and then wash/vacuum the house from top to bottom.

The girls and I moved in with my parents for two weeks while my husband literally washed and bagged every fabric item in my house. Vacuumed from roof to ceiling, washed the walls, etc. Two weeks later, I came back home. I did find a few mites here and there that week and then we didn't have another problem.

Good luck. It totally sucks but in my experience we were able to get rid of them. And I definitely will not be so nice to let birds stay the next time!!!

This was our experience as well. I took a mite to an entomologist I know to confirm that's what it was. He said DH and DS were getting bitten too, but they didn't have an allergic reaction. Only I did - we followed the same above and I wore insect repellant 24/7 for a while.