PDA

View Full Version : ISO Super Comfy Cushy Dog Bed

fauve01
07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Can anyone recommend a really comfy dog bed for my sister's 11YO 50+ pound lab/collie? The dog is getting old and after a big far cross-country move, we want to make her comfortable. Any recommendations welcome.

THANKS!
anne

KLD313
07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I really like the big Costco beds but if the dog has joint issues you may wantto get one of those egg crate orthopedic beds from Fosters and Smith or someplace like that.

doberbrat
07-05-2011, 10:31 PM
I took a crib mattress and topped it w/an egg crate topper cut down to size and put a waterproof mattress pad and flannel sheets on it for my doberman. Its practical.... at some point, its likely that older pets will have accidents. It was 'handy' since I had most of the stuff already. and its nice and large so we could all snuggle up on her bed if we wanted to.

Otherwise, petedge makes a nice memory foam bed that I like.

BigDog
07-05-2011, 10:34 PM
We purchased one of these beds for our Saint Bernard. Expensive, yes, but extremely durable and well worth it for our pooch. http://www.mammothoutlet.com/

twowhat?
07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I really like the big Costco beds but if the dog has joint issues you may wantto get one of those egg crate orthopedic beds from Fosters and Smith or someplace like that.

:yeahthat: The Costco beds are really really awesome and even more "really awesome" based on price! We have a couple that are 5 years old and they're still in use. When we had to put them away to get photos for our house to go on the market, the dogs seriously didn't know where to put themselves - they kind of wandered aimlessly about until we got their beds back out.

I've also seen the memory foam dog mats at Costco.

cvanbrunt
07-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I have been known to lift my geriatric boxer up onto the couch. But that's probably not helpful.......

septmama2b
07-06-2011, 08:12 AM
We have the round one from Lands End and my 60 pound mutt loves it. We've had it for 5 years and it still looks great. I love that the cover is heavy canvas and can be machine washed.

trales
07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
LL BEan - new ones do not last very long - I won't buy another, they go flat in a month or so.

Cabela's - super soft and helping our lab after 10 years. Very washable

Old crib mattress - very wonderful, perfect size

Foam from Jo Anne Fabrics covered with canvas that I sewed - the best.

fauve01
07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone! i will pass on the info to my sister.

LOL to the PP who said the couch... i think they're trying to avoid that. :ROTFLMAO:also it's difficult for the dog to jump up there anymore.

i suggested a piece of foam from the Joanns. we will investigate the other choices! i'm glad to know the costco ones are decent.

thanks for the responses. :)

anne