PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figure out this top

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
I bought a Free people Hibiscus Print top from Nordstrom tonight. The problem is, I don't know how to make it look like this:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/free-people-hibiscus-print-top/3210937?origin=category&resultback=3743

Instead of this:
http://www.6pm.com/free-people-hibiscus-floral-top

It looks more like the 6pm model and I want it to look like the Nordstrom model. Now, I am not tall and lanky. Right now dh says it just looks too round on me. He says because it is see through you can tell that I am not big and round but it just doesn't look right.

Should I change sizes? Up? Down? Wear something nude under it vs something black? Try and wear it lower on my hips? Any ideas?

Beth

DrSally
07-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Interesting. The top looks totally different in the 2 pics. In the Nordstrom pic, it looks like she has the elastic tucked under and then the blouse poufed over the banding. In the 6pm pic, it looks like the elastic is stretched further down, kwim?

I wonder if the pink/nude cami makes the Nordy's pic look slimmer?

I don't really understand it. Maybe if you sized down, there'd be less fabric on the sides, IDK.

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
No elastic but it is banded at the bottom. I tried pulling it down vs blousing it out, nothing. We tightened the string in the back, nothing. Dh decided it was my curves. I have boobs and the Nordstrom model does not. He says that my chest probably pushes the fabric out and it hangs from that biggest point. And he thinks it takes away my waist. I think it is unsavable but I'll try it with a nude cami just to be sure!

Beth

DrSally
07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
I have boobs and the Nordstrom model does not. He says that my chest probably pushes the fabric out and it hangs from that biggest point.
Beth

Yeah, that was my other thought. The Nordstrom model is remarkably flat. Maybe that type of blouse just hangs better on a flat-chested model. Voluminous blouses are hard to pull off IMO (on me at least).

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2011, 11:33 PM
They usually don't work for me either. I was just so intrigued by it. Not something I would normally pick because I know it isn't super flattering. Ah well, I think it should just go back. I have this as a back up in gray:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/remain-sleeveless-cowl-neck-tank/3182729?origin=category&resultback=665

Dh's h.s. reunion is this weekend and I am torn between the tank, white capris and cute shoes route or a dress. A trip to Anthropologie for tops is planned for tomorrow, already checked dresses. Dress? I likely have 1 in my closet.

Beth

bubbaray
07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Honestly, I think that top would make anyone look heavy.

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Honestly, I think that top would make anyone look heavy.

Except for the Nordstrom stick model. :)

Beth

bubbaray
07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Photoshop....

ellies mom
07-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I think the one the Nordstrom's model is wearing is too big for her. It is longer even with the band flipped up underneath and the V-neck is a lot deeper than it is on the other model.

I don't know if going up a size will accomplish that look on a normal sized woman but if you really like the look and are local to Nordstroms you could give it a try.

I do like the other top you linked to also.

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2011, 11:48 PM
I think the one the Nordstrom's model is wearing is too big for her. It is longer even with the band flipped up underneath and the V-neck is a lot deeper than it is on the other model.

I don't know if going up a size will accomplish that look on a normal sized woman but if you really like the look and are local to Nordstroms you could give it a try.

I do like the other top you linked to also.

I tried yanking it down as far as it would go and dh still wasn't sold on it. I had wondered about a bigger one but I just think it's a no-go. The other one is more my style...boring and gray. :)

Beth

DrSally
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
]

Dh's h.s. reunion is this weekend and I am torn between the tank, white capris and cute shoes route or a dress. A trip to Anthropologie for tops is planned for tomorrow, already checked dresses. Dress? I likely have 1 in my closet.

Beth

What is the venue of the reunion? I think either would be fine, but I tend to favor a dress. Do you have an Ann Taylor Loft outlet near you? I hear they have lots of cute dresses.

Reina
07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
nordstrom model is a 13 year old boy with a pretty girl face photoshopped.:ROTFLMAO:

mimi2008
07-06-2011, 01:10 AM
did you try it with the nude cami like in the nordie picture? the 6pm girl is wearing a black cami and hides her shape under the black blouse, so she looks wider. Also, in the nordie pic, the model pulled the front of blouse way down... see where the deepest part of the vneck hits her -- it ends down below the breasts, in the 6pm-- it ends at about nipple level. you can see that the gathers of fabric of the shoulder straps are at about arm pit level in the nordies pic (lower than the 6pm). hope that helps.

i got my HS reunion coming up too. i decided on a v neck black slubby knit tee that has a gathered detail all the way down the back of the shirt (gives it some shape). got it from TJ maxx. wearing it with skinny jeans and heels.

mmommy
07-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Photoshop - I think that picture is elongated.

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I did try it with a nude cami. Not much better. It went back to the store today. The Nordstrom photo just seems to have fewer pleats than mine does. Something about it just isn't right. That's ok though. I like my gray tank and cute necklace I bought to go with it. :)

Beth

Babymakes3
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Someone once told me that the outfits get pinned on the models until it looks just right. I am positive that is why an item doesn't look the same on me as it did online in the photo! :O)

jvs195
07-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Someone once told me that the outfits get pinned on the models until it looks just right. I am positive that is why an item doesn't look the same on me as it did online in the photo! :O)

Exactly. Don't always trust the photo to tell you how it will look IRL on real people. They cut/pin tuck whatever necessary to make it appear the best. I had a male friend who modeled underwear and they would pull the tshirt down as far as they could and cut it off so it didn't hang out of the briefs. Not pretty, but makes the models look buff and the underwear appear to fit perfectly.