PDA

View Full Version : When to worry about a plugged duct

okinawama
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Of course I'm on vacation and think I have a clogged duct.

I discovered it about 2 days ago, but didn't realize exactly what it was until today. It's very painful and red. I've been working like a mad woman to get it out. So far I'm nursing more frequently with my sons chin pointed at the clog, I'm massaging while in the shower, I hold a warm compress over my breast before nursing my little one,pumping after my LO eats, drinking more water...so far the clog is still there. I'm not showing any signs of mastitis yet, but I did catch this thing rather late and I'm worried sick that it's going to turn into mastitis.

What signs should I be looking for? What else should I be doing to get rid of this clog?!

citymama
07-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Hugs! Everything you're doing sounds right. Last month I was on a work trip and got a plugged duct that lasted 2 painful days. The advice I got here was invaluable - heat/ hot shower, massage in the shower, followed by nurse/pump session, massage while nursing/pumping and be quite aggressive with the massage (really knead the darn thing even though it hurts), more frequent nursing, drink lots of water, get rest. All those things helped, esp the massage plus pumping and I passed the plug one pumping session - thank goodness!

If you're feeling healthy and don't have don't have a fever, you should be ok, but I've never had mastitis so don't rely on me for that part!

lizzywednesday
07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Hugs! Everything you're doing sounds right. Last month I was on a work trip and got a plugged duct that lasted 2 painful days. The advice I got here was invaluable - heat/ hot shower, massage in the shower, followed by nurse/pump session, massage while nursing/pumping and be quite aggressive with the massage (really knead the darn thing even though it hurts), more frequent nursing, drink lots of water, get rest. All those things helped, esp the massage plus pumping and I passed the plug one pumping session - thank goodness!

If you're feeling healthy and don't have don't have a fever, you should be ok, but I've never had mastitis so don't rely on me for that part!

I've had mastitis. If you've not got a fever, you're fine, just keep working on the clog.

In addition to my breast hurting, I also had a fever, chills and the strange sensation that even the stubble on my legs hurt. Seriously, everything hurt and I felt like I'd been run over by a Mack truck. (See the thread I started here on that subject through this link: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=376168&highlight=mastitis)

zukeypur
07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
i took lecithin four times a day until the clog was gone (both times) and then I continued taking it 1-2 times a day until yesterday when I weaned her. as long as I remembered the lecithin i didn't plug up again. mine was in the same spot every time it happened.

hellokitty
07-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I hope it unplugs for you soon, they are so painful. You are doing what you are supposed to do and the suggestions the other pp's have made are good ones. Crossing my fingers it will be out for you soon. :hug:

okinawama
07-06-2011, 01:20 PM
can I find lecithin at walmart or do I need a specialty health food/vitamin store? We're vacationing on a lake, so not too many options.

of course, still working on it. I heard that plugged ducts are tough to get out, but geesh, until you have one I don't think you really believe it. This thing is hanging on for dear life in there.

zukeypur
07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
i got it at walgreens, but that's because dh is a pharmacist there.

kaharris83
07-06-2011, 01:31 PM
can I find lecithin at walmart or do I need a specialty health food/vitamin store? We're vacationing on a lake, so not too many options.

of course, still working on it. I heard that plugged ducts are tough to get out, but geesh, until you have one I don't think you really believe it. This thing is hanging on for dear life in there.

I got some at WalMart last month. If you start taking it you'll get rid of the clog quite quickly. In the future if you start taking it as soon as you notice a little hardness it will prevent it from getting worse.

okinawama
07-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Got the lecithin, thanks ladies for the hint!! I've taken 2400mg so far today, I am dying to get rid of this thing. I feel like I'm racing the mastitis clock. I just got out of a 20 minute shower massaging this thing like crazy. my hands are tired and my boob is throbbing! Come on clog!

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Knead way up high under your arm pit and start working towards the nip from there. I had to squeeze ridiculously hard on a deep one I had with ds2.

GL!!
Beth

citymama
07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Got the lecithin, thanks ladies for the hint!! I've taken 2400mg so far today, I am dying to get rid of this thing. I feel like I'm racing the mastitis clock. I just got out of a 20 minute shower massaging this thing like crazy. my hands are tired and my boob is throbbing! Come on clog!

Sounds like you're on your way! Its the weirdest thing when it unclogs - there one minute, gone the next. Keep at it!

okinawama
07-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Knead way up high under your arm pit and start working towards the nip from there. I had to squeeze ridiculously hard on a deep one I had with ds2.

GL!!
Beth
the clog is under the areola, do I still start kneading under the armpit or do I stay closer to the plug?

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I always start up higher to try and push it out- down and out. You might not need to start that high up though.

Beth