PDA

View Full Version : Would you think this was bedbugs? Ick. A little freaking out here...

smilequeen
07-05-2011, 11:48 PM
We just got back from vacation. We were there from Thursday through Monday. Last night (Monday) I noticed that DS1 had 2 little bites on his cheek and DS2 had about 6 tiny little red bumps scattered over his face. I mentioned this to DH today and said I thought I was being paranoid about bedbugs. He says, no they are mosquito bites, look at my legs. His thighs are utterly covered (both sides) in bites. Big red bumps. Only DH is complaining about any itching.

So, here's the facts

-DH, DS1, and DS2 have bites to different degrees. DS3 and I have none.
-DH and the 2 older boys slept in one room of our suite and the baby and I slept in the other.
-Sunday night, DH and the 2 older boys went to a movie under the stars at the hotel while DS3 and I stayed in the room. This is why he thinks it's mosquito bites.
-Not sure this matters, but this was an extremely nice hotel (on the 5 diamond list) and there are no reports about it on the bedbug registry.
-DH slept in long pants and was wearing long pants at the movie

Anyway, of course we came home and started unpacking, but I went through and washed all the clothes and the few stuffed animals we had and I stuck everything else in the garage for right now as it's pretty hot out. I am seriously skeeved out and feel itchy everywhere just thinking about it. But I don't know whether to think this is bedbugs or mosquito bites and there seems to be no way to really know. All the stuff was in our house before we started thinking of the possibilities.

I'm kicking myself b/c I always check the beds in hotels, but the day we arrived we'd had 2 flights significantly delayed and we didn't get to the hotel until midnight and the boys were so exhausted that we just kind of threw everything down and went to bed and then it never occurred to me to check again.

WWYD?

DrSally
07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Could be anything. Could be mosquito bites?

rin
07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
When we had bedbugs, the first bites that we saw were on our ankles. Apparently that's a favorite spot, so based on our experience I'd be surprised for the face to be the first place to show it.

I'd check your luggage carefully, and check all your clothing/toys/etc, but IME there's really no way to tell just from the bites.

kcandz
07-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Fleas?

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/flea-bites-vs-bed-bug-bites.html

Flea Bites Vs Bed Bug Bites

It is really difficult to point out the exact difference between a flea bite and bed bug bite because the reaction of both these bites is different on different people. Whatever the case, there are a few major differences between flea bite and bed bug bite. Let us have a look at it in detail.
The basic difference seen in flea bites vs bed bug bites is that flea bites are small bumps surrounded by a halo. On the contrary, bed bug bites are red, hard and slightly raised like mosquito bites.
Flea bites on humans are found in random and irregular manner, whereas bed bug bites are found in a straight row or in a linear manner.
When comparing flea bites vs bed bug bites, the common observation is that bed bug bites can be found all over the body. On the other hand, flea bites are mostly found on legs and ankles. Flea bites are rarely found on the upper part of the body.
Flea Bites cause itching that is really bothersome for animals as well as humans. Sometimes flea bites can also develop into allergies or cause excessive swelling. Similarly bed bug bites are also sharp and itchy.

Naranjadia
07-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Are they in clusters of two or three? That was our giveaway. And ankles, as PP poster mentioned, as well as forearms.

Cam&Clay
07-06-2011, 01:00 AM
You all knew I'd show up...

Okay, so bedbugs do not usually bite on the legs. That is a myth. They usually live in the headboard or in the wall and come onto the bed from that point. The bites are therefore concentrated on the arms, hands, chest, neck, and face.

Second, are any of the bites in groups of 3? Each bug bites 3 times and leaves. An uninterrupted bug (if you don't move around) will bite 3 times in a row and is done for the night. Thus, the bites are usually in clusters.

Third, they don't usually bite where there is clothing, especially tight fitting things like underwear.

Fourth, it really doesn't matter who slept where. When I was attacked, no one else in the room was. The exterminator told me they usually pick a favorite. Apparently, I am delicious. The boys, not so much.

How long ago were they bitten? Flea bites and mosquito bites tend to stop itching after a day or so even though the raised area is still visible. Bed bug bites itch like crazy for at least a week. In my case, for weeks.

Are more bites showing up? Bedbug bites can take up to 9 days to appear on the body. They are small, hard, and can have a fluid-y center.

I hope it's not bedbugs. You're smart to take the precautions anyway.

maestramommy
07-06-2011, 07:02 AM
if you google bedbug bites pics, you will see that there is no typical pattern. They can appear just like Cam&Clay's bites, or they can look like mosquito bites. Or they can look like flea bites. They can cluster, or they can be random. One thing you could look for, although it's too late, is bloodstains on the sheets.

It's good that you took precautions anyway. You just never know.

smilequeen
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks all. We are very suspicious of bed bugs and I am calling the hotel today and figuring out what to do with the suitcases. I wonder how likely itnis to get a hitchhiker? The bags were in the dressing rooms off the bathrooms the entire trip. Ick. Definitely will never be too tired to check again.

crispychicky
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
For the suitcases, I would open them and put them in the car. Park the car out in the hot sun with the windows closed for the day. Prolonged heat exposure (>120 degrees) is supposed to kill bed bugs and their eggs.

I would wash all your clothes in hot water and run them through the dryer for at least an hour (more like 2hrs). Again, any that didn't get removed by the wash cycle should die in the dryer.

So sorry you're dealing with this OP. I really hope your DH is right and it's just mosquitoes.