PDA

View Full Version : Is this typical behavior for an 18 month old?

fedoragirl
07-06-2011, 02:10 AM
I did try to research it to no avail. None of my books mention this toddler behavior so I need to ask here.
My almost 18 month old DD is turning out to be a very demonstrative person. She loves giving hugs and kisses to just about everyone. I try to redirect her without too much explaining that she can't hug random kids on the street. (usually it's older kids that she tries to hug). She tried to hug her cousin and he hates being touched by most people. I redirected her. She also tries to hug the cats who almost scratched her because he (the cat) couldn't figure out what she was trying to do.
Recently, we were at an Ikea and she didn't hug any of the kids she saw there, but she got really, really close to them, and they were clearly uncomfortable.
So, is this typical? I thought it may be since they don't really understand personal space, etc. Or could it be the personality of my DD? And what can I do to curb this enthusiasm for everyone?

L'sMommy
07-06-2011, 07:17 AM
When my DS was close to 2, we were at the airport (long delay) and he kept going up to a couple kids in the area to hug them. Same thing when we hung out at coffee shops. When he started day care at 2, he would literally walk up to the other kids and touch their face - shockingly, some kids totally let him do it while others walked away. He also likes to sometimes kiss other kids. We have chalked it up to DS not knowing about personal space and through more of these experiences he will learn that some kids don't like it and to back off. As for the dog, DS goes between riding her like a horse and hugging/kissing her. Dog doesn't mind at all. When I first saw him doing these things I thought this was odd behavior and couldn't find anything on the internet that discussed this. Hope this helps.

catsnkid
07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
DS likes to kiss and hug animals and his friends at school etc. I would say it is pretty typical.

brittone2
07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Pretty typical for some kids. I would probably redirect and show them how to give a high five, wave, etc. since that may be better received.

Show how to give the kitty gentle pats.

lowrioh
07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
My DD totally does this. She will go up to babies and kids her age at the park, pool or Ikea and give them hugs. She spontaneously hugs other parents at the playground etc. I do redirect but I don't make a big deal about it.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
My DD is 15 months and doesn't really hug people yet but she blows kisses to literally everyone we see.

TxCat
07-06-2011, 11:37 AM
We were at a party this weekend, and another couple's 2 yo spent most of the party kissing my DD (9 months) on the arms, trying to touch her face, etc. Her parents didn't redirect and neither I nor DD minded - it was very sweet. I'll take that over hitting any day.

MomToOne
07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah we had that at that age. I would hover a bit because at that age they're a little tipsy and might fall over with the off-balance hugging. I'd make sure it was a gentle hug and then I'd tell her, "ok Jane's all done hugging now, that was very nice, thank you, etc". Or if the kid didn't want to hug, "Jane does not want a hug right now but maybe her mommy does/you can hug me, etc"

citymama
07-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Totally normal. My DD is 5 and still loves to hug random kids - little and big - at subway platforms, playgrounds, sidewalks, wherever. In her case I think it peaked around 2.5 or 3.

BabbyO
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
My DS doesn't necessarily hug & kiss random strangers and kids...but he DOES try to look at their bellies. Since he was about 20 mo old he's been OBSESSED with bellies. Not sure if it's because I'm pg or what, but the sitter said she's noticed it too. He will try to look at other kids bellies...now if that isn't an invasion of personal space, I don't know what is! :)

I think its fairly normal....I just try to redirect, or tell him that X doesn't want to show his/her belly right now.

fedoragirl
07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Phew! Thanks. I am glad DD is not the only child with these tendencies. Not that they are bad but I'd rather curb them now before she gets hurt with rejection--which will happen sooner or later, anyway. I also don't want her to frighten other kids or she won't have friends to play. Maybe I am overthinking this thing. It is cute to us that she wants to hug everyone rather than hit. I

kdeunc
07-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Totally normal. My DD is 5 and still loves to hug random kids - little and big - at subway platforms, playgrounds, sidewalks, wherever. In her case I think it peaked around 2.5 or 3.
:yeahthat: DS2 is 6 and still the "huggiest" kid I know. He will hug anyone. I do try to redirect, especially if someone doesn't want to be hugged. Really though he is just a super sweet kid and I don't want to squelch it too much.