PDA

View Full Version : Verizon dropping unl. data 7-7-11/how much data do you actually use?

AnnieW625
07-06-2011, 02:20 AM
aack! (sort of, not the end of the world, but unlimited does have a nice ring to it)

I just heard this on the news last night, and verified here with the Boston Globe article (http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2011/07/06/verizon_drops_flat_fee_data_plan/).

Also is this making anyone else here who doesn't have a smart phone think twice about waiting longer to get one?

Right now through my work I can get unlimited data for $23 a month (25% off). I honestly don't know how much data I will actually use because I don't know how much I will use the phone. My original plan was to wait for Iphone 5 as I was slightly underwhelmed by Iphone 4 and wasn't completely wowed by the Droid X and think it would be too big to use as a phone. I do minimal talking on my cell phone (only used 15 minutes of 700 anytime minutes I split with DH), have no plan on ditching my land line, and honestly really don't want my kids playing with my phone.

AnnieW625
07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
bueller? bueller?

TwoBees
07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I haven't read the article, but what about those of us who already have unlimited data plans with Verizon? Will we be grandfathered?

AnnieW625
07-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I haven't read the article, but what about those of us who already have unlimited data plans with Verizon? Will we be grandfathered?

yes, that's why if I sign up today I would be good.

lizzywednesday
07-06-2011, 11:25 AM

That's why DH & I got iPhones recently and I caved & signed up for the corporate discount. (Totally aside from the fact that my other handset was dying and I need the phone for work...)

Pinky
07-06-2011, 11:28 AM

I was wondering the same thing... I already have an unlimited plan. If I upgrade my Droid to a new Droid will that make me start a new contract?

I use TONS of data and send pictures and video to family out of town nearly every day.

Do you guys know how to check how much data you've used?

pinkmomagain
07-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Annie, Thanks so much for posting this. My dh and dd1 already have unlimited but I don't. I'm anticipating getting and iphone in the fall and so I may just sign up for myself today for unlimited to prepare for that!

BillK
07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
If you have unlimited you will be grandfathered.

With wifi at home and work - both my wife and I use very little data really - maybe 500mb/mo between both of us. Knowing we'll be grandfathered is nice though considering the speed of 4g. I see people saying they're burning through 15/GB a month on their 4g phones - which is nutty.

Oh and the Droid 3 is available for direct fulfillment as of 7/7 and will be in stores on 7/14 - if anyone's looking for a physical keyboard. The Bionic is looking like early August - and hopefully the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be around then too. Those are the 2 phones I've been holding off waiting for on my upgrade - probably leaning toward the Galaxy S2 over the Bionic as I don't particularly need 4g.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 11:45 AM
If you have unlimited you will be grandfathered.

With wifi at home and work - both my wife and I use very little data really - maybe 500mb/mo between both of us. Knowing we'll be grandfathered is nice though considering the speed of 4g. I see people saying they're burning through 15/GB a month on their 4g phones - which is nutty.

Oh and the Droid 3 is available for direct fulfillment as of 7/7 and will be in stores on 7/14 - if anyone's looking for a physical keyboard. The Bionic is looking like early August - and hopefully the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be around then too. Those are the 2 phones I've been holding off waiting for on my upgrade - probably leaning toward the Galaxy S2 over the Bionic as I don't particularly need 4g.

Bill do you know if I upgrade my Droid will I lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan? I've been wanting a new one for a while since I have the original one.

BillK
07-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Bill do you know if I upgrade my Droid will I lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan? I've been wanting a new one for a while since I have the original one.

The consensus over on Android Central, Phandroid and Droid Life is - No, if you have unlimited now - you keep it whether you upgrade or not. Lemme find the link where VZW verifies this....brb.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon/96793-how-keep-your-unlimited-data-plan-after-7-7-even-if-you-upgrade.html

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/27/verizon-support-3g-customers-upgrading-to-4g-after-july-7-can-keep-unlimited-data/

AnnieW625
07-06-2011, 11:52 AM
No wifi at work or home although we keep talking about setting up wifi at home we are just lazy about it as we only have one desktop most of the time (DH can bring home a work computer, but he usually only does right before we go out of town to visit family who have wifi). Another option would be to set up wifi at my house and just get an Itouch, but who knows how fast or convenient that will be when I am out of the house.

KrisM
07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm on day 26 of my 30 day billing cycle and I've used 0.57 GB so far. We were on vacation for a few days and I used it more then than normal. I do not use it a ton for data. I mostly use it while not home and watching kids do things - TKD, swim lessons, etc.

Last month, I used 0.24 GB of data and that is probably more typical of my use :).

I do not use our wifi at home, so all is on the Verizon network.

HTH

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Last month I used

Is that 7.3G?

Holy moly. I knew I used a lot of data but I didnt realize that much. I literaly send tons of pictures and videos because our famly lives out of town and they don't get to see our baby very often.

The consensus over on Android Central, Phandroid and Droid Life is - No, if you have unlimited now - you keep it whether you upgrade or not. Lemme find the link where VZW verifies this....brb.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon/96793-how-keep-your-unlimited-data-plan-after-7-7-even-if-you-upgrade.html

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/27/verizon-support-3g-customers-upgrading-to-4g-after-july-7-can-keep-unlimited-data/

Thanks Bill! I'll check out those links... I may upgrade tonight anyway. I've been needing something to give me a kick to do it.

BillK
07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
If you think you'll get a 4G phone - I can assure you you'll probably use a LOT of data (much more than 3G).

So if the plan is to get a 4G phone you should probably get an unlimited plan today and lock it in as the new tiered pricing model sucks imo. Just my 2 cents.

Example of my usage last month:

Gigabytes 0.253

Megabytes 259.542

Kilobytes 265,770.890

Looks like about .7/GB used to me from your 729906k.

KrisM
07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Last month I used

Is that 7.3G?

Holy moly. I knew I used a lot of data but I didnt realize that much. I literaly send tons of pictures and videos because our famly lives out of town and they don't get to see our baby very often.

Thanks Bill! I'll check out those links... I may upgrade tonight anyway. I've been needing something to give me a kick to do it.

No, it's 0.73 GB.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I thought my math was off... LOL I was thinking 7G was way way way too much to be using monthly. :)

BillK
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Here's a handy online convertor for kilobytes to megabytes to gigabytes etc...

http://egret.net/kb__mb.htm

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
If you think you'll get a 4G phone - I can assure you you'll probably use a LOT of data (much more than 3G).

So if the plan is to get a 4G phone you should probably get an unlimited plan today and lock it in as the new tiered pricing model sucks imo. Just my 2 cents.

Example of my usage last month:

Gigabytes 0.253

Megabytes 259.542

Kilobytes 265,770.890

Looks like about .7/GB used to me from your 729906k.

I saw a 4G Droid on the website but it's way more expensive than the others... I need to convince myself that I don't need 4G. I suppose it will be more expensive monthly as well than 3G, right?

Minnifer
07-06-2011, 12:13 PM
OK, I have a reaaaallly dumb question... Um, so, the data plan covers internet usage, right? :o

Right now I have an old Motorola flip phone and was waiting for the new iphone to come out b/4 getting one. So currently, I have no data plan w/Verizon at all (just phone and text).

So I will be getting an iphone and mostly using it for phone and internet, so it sounds like I should also consider getting the unlimited plan today - but I wonder if it's worth it when I don't know when I'll get the iphone? Also, has anyone heard when it will be released?

BillK
07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I saw a 4G Droid on the website but it's way more expensive than the others... I need to convince myself that I don't need 4G. I suppose it will be more expensive monthly as well than 3G, right?

Current 4G VZW phones:

HTC Thunderbolt
LG Revolution
Samsung Charge (the Samsung screens are amazing - which is partly why it's more than the Tbolt or Revo) If I HAD to get a phone today - this is the one I'd get even for more $.

Coming 4G VZW phones:

Motorola Bionic
"maybe but unlikely 4G" Samsung Galaxy S2 (supposedly to be named "Function" on VZW)

IF you get or have unlimited now - 4G or 3G won't make a difference.

BillK
07-06-2011, 12:19 PM
OK, I have a reaaaallly dumb question... Um, so, the data plan covers internet usage, right? :o

Right now I have an old Motorola flip phone and was waiting for the new iphone to come out b/4 getting one. So currently, I have no data plan w/Verizon at all (just phone and text).

So I will be getting an iphone and mostly using it for phone and internet, so it sounds like I should also consider getting the unlimited plan today - but I wonder if it's worth it when I don't know when I'll get the iphone? Also, has anyone heard when it will be released?

Sept is earliest estimate for next gen iphone. You should buy a cheapie smartphone from ebay or what not now and add unlimited to your plan with VZW today if you want to lock in unlimited. OR - just go to VZW today and get a new smartphone and deal with having to wait to get a new iphone "off contract" for a crazy price (probably 600 or 700) when it's released - or waiting until you're ready for another upgrade at a subsidized price.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Do you think all Verizon's phones will switch to 4G soon? I'm not sure how that works but I'm wondering if 3G will be old school and all the new technology coming out will be 4G.

BillK
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Do you think all Verizon's phones will switch to 4G soon? I'm not sure how that works but I'm wondering if 3G will be old school and all the new technology coming out will be 4G.

ehh....I'm guessing it's gonna be another 3-4 years at least before 4G is mainstream and 3G is totally dead.

I'm holding out for the Galaxy S2 (probably will NOT be a 4G phone) since 4G doesn't excite me considering I'm on wifi most everywhere I go.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
ehh....I'm guessing it's gonna be another 3-4 years at least before 4G is mainstream and 3G is totally dead.

I'm holding out for the Galaxy S2 (probably will NOT be a 4G phone) since 4G doesn't excite me considering I'm on wifi most everywhere I go.

See it doesn't excite me that much either because I'm perfectly happy with 3G. I never use wireless at home just because I haven't taken the time to set it up. Though I do use my phone at home the most... We have DSL. I'm wondering if our home wireless network would be noticeably quicker than 3G.

AnnieW625
07-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Sept is earliest estimate for next gen iphone. You should buy a cheapie smartphone from ebay or what not now and add unlimited to your plan with VZW today if you want to lock in unlimited. OR - just go to VZW today and get a new smartphone and deal with having to wait to get a new iphone "off contract" for a crazy price (probably 600 or 700) when it's released - or waiting until you're ready for another upgrade at a subsidized price.

So what phone would you suggest? I am in the same boat as Minnifer.

Minnifer
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Thanks. So sounds like I can't just add a data plan w/out a smartphone. My non-smart phone says it has "Verizon Mobile Web", I just haven't used it so don't know what the story is, but I thought that meant I could in theory use it for the net. Ugh, since just a matter of a few months, really don't want to get something else for now... wonder if it's worth it just to get the currently avail iphone in the meantime...

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks. So sounds like I can't just add a data plan w/out a smartphone. My non-smart phone says it has "Verizon Mobile Web", I just haven't used it so don't know what the story is, but I thought that meant I could in theory use it for the net. Ugh, since just a matter of a few months, really don't want to get something else for now... wonder if it's worth it just to get the currently avail iphone in the meantime...

I wonder if there is very much difference between the iphone models? I'd be tempted just to go ahead and get the current one.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Bill I started a new thread asking for non-iphone recommendations for myself if you would mind chiming in. :)

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=403425

ohiomom1121
07-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I really hope the grandfathering is true or I'm in trouble. I just looked at my usage this month and it's 0.54GB

KrisM
07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I really hope the grandfathering is true or I'm in trouble. I just looked at my usage this month and it's 0.54GB

Why? Are you at the very beginning of the month? You are still a long way of going past 2 GB and surpassing the new limits. Unless of course you are less than 1/4 of the way through your month, which would average you up over 2 GB.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Why? Are you at the very beginning of the month? You are still a long way of going past 2 GB and surpassing the new limits. Unless of course you are less than 1/4 of the way through your month, which would average you up over 2 GB.

That's good to know that the limit is going to be 2GB. I can't imagine using more than that.

KrisM
07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
That's good to know that the limit is going to be 2GB. I can't imagine using more than that.

I'm just going on the article posted :). It says:
After tomorrow, Verizon Wireless will allow new customers to send and receive a limit of 2 gigabytes of data per month for $30 - enough, said Waterman, to send 1,000 e-mails, view 100 Web pages, listen to more than 20 hours of streaming music, upload more than 20 photographs, and view over two hours of high-definition video.

Verizon will offer higher-priced plans for consumers who use more data. Consumers will be able to buy 5 gigabytes of data per month for $50, or 10 gigabytes for $80. Users who exceed their quotas will be billed $10 per extra gigabyte.

I wish they'd offer a lower tier. Maybe 1 GB for $20. I'd totally switch to that. They had a plan for less money but only 150 MB when I signed up, but I've been over 150 MB each month, so that's too low.

ohiomom1121
07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

I just went back and looked and I thought I had 24 days left but I'm actually 24 days into the month. Looks like I'm good. I panicked a little when I saw that.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I wish they'd offer a lower tier. Maybe 1 GB for $20. I'd totally switch to that. They had a plan for less money but only 150 MB when I signed up, but I've been over 150 MB each month, so that's too low.

I think I saw a list that said they do have a plan for $10 but I think it was only 75MB. I agree, I'd like a lower tier too, but not quite that low.

lcarlson90
07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I am so annoyed by this announcement. I was planning to switch to Verizon in September when my AT&T contract is up but now there is no way I can switch if the date plan isn't unlimited.

It doesn't really seem like 2 gigs is that much data for $30. Ughhh...now I am stuck with AT&T.

Pinky
07-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I am so annoyed by this announcement. I was planning to switch to Verizon in September when my AT&T contract is up but now there is no way I can switch if the date plan isn't unlimited.

It doesn't really seem like 2 gigs is that much data for $30. Ughhh...now I am stuck with AT&T.

Do you know how much data you use now? I thought for sure I'd be over the limit but I was still under 1gig. With that being said i don't watch streaming video on my phone, I'm sure that would really add up.

BillK
07-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Well it's really only like 2 months. Why not just switch to VZW now and cancel ATT come Sept. if you can swing it financially? Get 1 phone with the lowest minutes and unlimited data with VZW until then - then change to what you need. Sure you'll lose your current cell # but it may be worth it if you're a huge data hog.

kboyle
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
i called last week when i heard the news and they said that if you upgrade from smartphone to smartphone (after 7/7) you will STILL STAY GRANDFATHERED since you aren't changing the plan...even if you sign a new 2 yr contract. the lady could only guarantee me this through end of july. she said call in a couple weeks and see if they'll continue through aug...at some point they'll make you change over, but at the moment even if you upgrade to new smartphone you can keep your plan.

if you currently have unlim you will stay grandfathered for as long as you don't change plan.