PDA

View Full Version : Help! DS's nose will not stop bleeding.

Fairy
07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
6yo DS's nose started bleeding last night, and it was quite the bleed. I dunno if he picked, which he does, or if it was just dry. But it was the worst one he's ever haad. I finally got it stopped, he slept on a towel, and no bleed overnight. Now this AM the blood is just pouring out of his nose. He didn't pick, but clearly the scab got dislodged, maybe when he had a couple sneezes earlier. I've been at it for 20 minutes, the sucker will not stop. I already called doctor, and he's sitting here with his nose pinched -- entire nose -- and the blood keeps coming. Ped says my next step is the ER for cauterization. I dunno what silver nitrate feels like when hitting a mucous membrane, but anythign I can do to avoid this I'd really appreciate. Advice?

bubbaray
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Nose pinched, lean forward (if he swollows the blood, it might make him barf). Put an ice pack on the back of his neck, can stay there for 10-15 min on, off for 10-15 min.

If that d/n work, I'd take him to the ER.

GL!!!! Keep us posted.

hillview
07-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Nose pinched, lean forward (if he swollows the blood, it might make him barf). Put an ice pack on the back of his neck, can stay there for 10-15 min on, off for 10-15 min.

If that d/n work, I'd take him to the ER.

GL!!!! Keep us posted.

:yeahthat:

Good luck
/hillary

arivecchi
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Oh no Fairy! I would run to the ER. How scary! Update us when you can!

lil_acorn
07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
We had this happen too - my sons nose bled for hours. I'm not sure if it was becuase it was off hours but they couldn't cauterize it and we had to wait the next day to see an ENT, so you can also try that.

They didn't do much at the ER other than takes lots of blood to test for clotting disorders etc. Luckily those all came back negative and the ENT said he just has superficial veins.

mariza
07-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I would bring him to the ER. If it makes you feel any better, I've had Silver Nitrate applied to a post episiotomy repair tear. The silver nitrate was fine. On an unrelated note, if you are recovering from a stitched episiotomy, you should not squat down in the shower :eek:
I hope your DS is better soon!

Fairy
07-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks all. It took 40 minutes, but it did eventually stop after alot of constant pinching. I then waited another 30 to ensure it was really done, then took him to camp. So for an hour, I knew I was going somewhere, just didn't know if it would be the ER or camp. Frustrating. So vascular up there one little nick and it's bloody hell. I couldn't believe how much there was. Good thing it wasn't DH, he'd've been passed out.

Have to say, I had an 8am conference call, and so i was going to take him to camp after rather than before. I told him that unless it's an emergency, he cannot disturb me. Not a game emergency, but a real body one. Ok, mommy. Sure enough at 8:07 me and my boss on the other end hears "NOSEBLEED EMERGENCY!!!" I said calmly, "Um, I'm so sorry, can I call you back?" She was so understanding, she's got 3 young ones of her own. I was lucky it was her.

I'm worried I'll hear from them today that his nose started back up. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for the input!

lil_acorn
07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I would call the ENT though to get that cauterized. it will probably open up again.

good luck!

hopeful_mama
07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
FWIW, when I was younger 45 minute nosebleeds were common - no one ever seemed concerned so I wasn't either, it was just an annoyance. Awhile back though I was put on iron for anemia and that had the unanticipated side effect of shortening the nosebleeds.

hellokitty
07-06-2011, 01:14 PM
My brother used to have this problem and it was scary looking. He eventually outgrew it. Of course, now one of my kids has the same problem (DS2) and I just keep telling myself he will outgrow it like my brother did. We tried cauterizing a few times with my brother and nothing ever worked. Also, I had a friend who was sensitive to certain foods, chocolate would set off her nose bleeds! Poor girl! I hope she outgrew that too!

mommylamb
07-06-2011, 01:16 PM
:hug: Your poor DS!

MontrealMum
07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
:hug: Glad to hear it stopped!

jhamman
07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Sorry you and your DS had to go through this!

I've suffered from nosebleeds since college, and I only recently
discovered this cool little product: www.nasalcease.com

It absorbs a LOT of blood, and they're individually wrapped
so you can easily keep a few in your purse or DC's backpack.

I ordered mine from amazon.com, but they're probably available
at drugstores, too.

Hope your DC has a nosebleed-free day at camp today!