PDA

View Full Version : Anyone opted for baby aspirin instead of lovenox?

L'sMommy
07-06-2011, 11:56 AM
It's time for me to make a choice again between lovenox or aspirin for my pregnancy. According to the hematologist I don't have a blood clotting disorder...it's basically a gene mutation which makes me a bit more prone to blood clots than the average person (4g/5g heterozygous). But it's not a disorder. Anyway, with my son the neonatal doctor recommended lovenox during pregnancy, but after consulting with another physician i made the choice to stick with baby aspirin instead of lovenox (162 mg instead of 81 mg). Just curious if others have made this choice and delivered a healthy baby. I had a healthy baby 2.5 years ago, but am faced with the decision again.

babyonway
07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I was on lovenox due to a clotting problem, never had a clot but at a high risk for one. I wasn't given the option of baby aspirin though. I took Lovenox until I was 32 weeks pregnant then switched to Heparin for the remainder of the pregnancy (in case I went into labor the half life is shorter with Heparin and they want it out of your system during birth.) Then after birth I was back on Lovenex for 6 weeks post pardem. DD is wonderful healthy little girl.

kaharris83
07-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I was on both. I had recurrent miscarriages around 8 weeks and after a slew of tests no one could figure out a reason. An OB I saw told me there are literally 1000's of clotting disorders and no tests for most so to be safe I went with Lovenox and baby aspirin. Also I was on B6, B12, and increased Folic acid because of potential clotting disorders. I stopped the baby aspirin at 36 weeks and the Lovenox was switched to Heparin at that time too.

BabyDahl
07-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't have personal experience with this, but wanted to chime in. A big reason to switch to heparin near term is that if you have surgery (i.e. C section), heparin can be reversed (ETA with an injectable called protamine), to decrease the bleeding risk.