PDA

View Full Version : Sunblock: Coppertone vs. Banana Boat

PMJ
07-06-2011, 12:59 PM
these are the 2 in the running right now and I'm aware they are not the **best ones out there.

I remember hearing on tv that sunblocks should have "Titanium Dioxide" and of course for babies should be Tear Free.

The Coppertone does not mention these things -- is that weird?

babybell
07-06-2011, 01:10 PM
these are the 2 in the running right now and I'm aware they are not the **best ones out there.

I remember hearing on tv that sunblocks should have "Titanium Dioxide" and of course for babies should be Tear Free.

The Coppertone does not mention these things -- is that weird?

:shrug: I just used the Coppertone on DD this morning with no problems.

sariana
07-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Coppertone Pure & Simple has zinc oxide. As far as I know, it is the only Coppertone product with either of the "-oxides." I use it for DC. I am allergic to Banana Boat products.

ETA: And it does not have oxybenzone, which supposedly is bad. It comes in a pink bottle that looks very similar to the regular Coppertone Babies, but it is labeled "Pure & Simple" in slightly script type. I got some at Target a couple of days ago.

Kindra178
07-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I would look for physical blockers for a baby only. So pick one with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, as opposed to chemical screens. Many people, including babies, are sensitive to chemical sunscreens. Coppertone makes a physical block sunscreen well. J&J does too, for a reasonable price. I do not know if BB makes one.

The chemical screens work by reacting with your skin to protect you from the sun as opposed to physical particles (of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) that actually physically block the sun's rays from reaching the exposed skin.

nfowife
07-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I got the coppertone babies pure and simple lotion this weekend and it scored okay on skin deep. It is a physical sunblock.

wendmatt
07-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I used to use banana boat but switched to coppertone pure and simple, does a good job, got a 3 on the rating and has zinc oxide.