PDA

View Full Version : What are your easiest, semi-healthy, fairly inexpensive dinners?

bisous
07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm in my third trimester now and by 4:00 I am DONE and ready to put my swelling, potentially varicose-veiny legs up but dinner is not until 6:00! I have like 9 weeks left and I just want dinner to be easy and fairly nutritious but nothing ground breaking or exciting. FWIW my DH actually prefers what I call "kid food".

I've worked out my schedule so that I do all of my cleaning, organizing, schooling, reading, etc. before 3:00 and then we head to the pool at which time I remove my compression stockings. I try to keep off my feet so I prefer something that needs little prep/cook time!

So far we've done, loaded baked potatoes, waffles and eggs, quesadillas (sp??), grilled cheese sandwiches. I know, real gourmet! We always have at least one vegetable/fruit at dinner and eat healthy (though also easy) throughout the day. My kids eat a snack at 4:00 in order to tide them over until our 6:00 dinner time.

Any suggestions, way welcome!

TIA!

maestramommy
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
crockpot chili? You can put the veggies in it, frozen! Set on high for 4 hours. I do that when I don't have time to "make" dinner right before.

AnnieW625
07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
This is what we had last night:
thin pork cutlets from Trader Joe's
a head of brocoli, and a head of cauliflower
Garlic Naan bread from Trader Joe's.

The pork cutlets cook in less than 10 minutes, probably more like six. The hardest part was washing/chopping the veggies and boiling the water for them. I set the timer on the veggies for 10 minutes and then put the meat on. When the veggies were done the meat was done and the bread was on the grill. I started at 6:00 and dinner was on the table by 6:30.

Tonight we are having Trader Joe's chicken sausage, some Trader Joe's brown rice medley, and a veggie TBD. Probably zuchini, peppers, and onions stirfried in a pan with the sausage. I might also do some corn because the girls love corn. As long as I get the rice started as soon as I get home it doesn't take that long to cook the meal.

AustenFan
07-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I totally hear you! The end of this last pregnancy was so hard as far as cooking went!

My secret weapon was my crockpot--For the four of us, I'd dump three b/s chicken breasts (fresh or frozen) in the crockpot, top with 1 cup Italian dressing (or really any kind of salad dressing, or olive oil and Italian seasoning), and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-6 hours. Added frozen veggies, and it was good enough.:)

When I have a bit more energy, I cut up a couple potatoes and a few carrots (or even baby carrots for less work) and top them with a small pork shoulder roast, a dash of olive oil, and salt and pepper. Cook low 4-6 hours.

The beauty of both those was that I could do them when the kids went down for a nap after lunch and didn't have to do anything else except set the table once DH got home. You could totally throw them in and head off for the pool for the rest of the afternoon. Hang in there!:hug5:

TxCat
07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
My go-to super fast dinner is fish tacos (not sure if that is an option for your family), with sweet potato "fries" on the side. I cut up the sweet potatoes, toss w/ olive oil, salt, pepper, and stick in the oven. While they are baking, I prep the fish with cajun seasoning (or whatever seasoning you like) and cook in a grill pan on the stove - fish is usually done in less than 10 minutes. While the fish is cooking, I dice tomatoes and avocado. I also use store-bought tortillas and salsa. Since the fries take the longest to cook-prep, I usually take a little bit of time before starting the fish to prep DD's food or wipe up the kitchen so everything finishes at the same time.

kijip
07-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Black bean and spinach quesadillas. Just add canned black beans and fresh spinach to cheese quesadillas. Serve with salsa and avocado for extra nutrients. They are delicious. Love them. Simple. Healthy enough. Super fast.

JTsMom
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Whole roasted chicken. I do 2 at a time in one large baking dish. Mix together a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary, rub it all over, inside and out, and stuff a little under the skin. Roast at 350 for around an hour and a half. It will feed you that night, and you'll have a ton leftover to tear up and freeze for lunches or more dinners (I freeze it in Pyrex, single layers w/parchment in between so it breaks apart easily). I do that about once a week. You can start it around 3:45 then kick back. Serve it with a bagged salad/veggie and rice.

It's easy, but the real benefit is Feingold safe lunches for DS! To reheat, I stick a few pieces in a bowl of water and nuke for 1-2 mins. It comes out really moist and juicy.

We also do fajitas frequently. You can slice everything ahead of time so you just have to dump it into the pan.

Slice up a piece of London Broil or chicken, a red pepper, a green pepper and an onion. Toss with a little oil and whatever seasoning you like. Serve on tortillas w/ or w/out cheese, sour cream, etc. Add fresh cilantro if you're feeling fancy. Makes great leftovers.

hillview
07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Tacos
Make your own salad (with deli meats)
pancakes (you can make them in advance and then reheat them fast)
grilled cheese
tuna salad
canned salmon salad
smoked salmon
make your own sandwich (put all the stuff on the table and give kids over 3 a knife to do mayo etc -- a little clean up after but easy to throw together)

KpbS
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
How about quiche with a green salad? Eggs plus your fave ingredients--tomatoes, spinach, cheese, ham, etc. Mix, bake, and serve.

eh613c
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
When DH wants 'kid food' I make mac n cheese, steam veggies and bake breaded cod from Trader Joe's. Another easy dinner from Trader Joe's is their Orange Chicken in the frozen food section. I add broccoli and carrots into the mix and I serve it with brown rice. You can also try a taco salad. I use ground turkey and cook it with taco mix. The hardest part is chopping the veggies. These dishes have minimal preparation.

Another idea is to have DH buy part of dinner before he gets home. I usually have my DH buy rotisserie chicken and I make a salad at home. Or heat up some tortillas and chop up an onion and cilantro for tacos.

twowhat?
07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I second whole roasted chickens. I will cook one or two at a time, and do microwave-roasted asparagus and rice for sides. It takes a bit of planning to get the chicken brined the day before, but prep time is really minimal.

appx 3.5 pound whole chicken, butterflied (use kitchen shears to cut out backbone, turn over, and press down on breastbone with palm until it breaks and the chicken lies flat - this really ensures a nice juicy chicken that roasts evenly).

Rub generously all over with salt. Stick in large ziplock bag with about a half cup of lemon juice. Seal the bag, squeezing out all the air. Turn it around a few times to distribute the lemon juice and then stick in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

Next day: take chicken out and let it sit on counter for an hour if you have time (if not, no biggie). Remove from ziplock, place flat on a flat rack in a roasting pan. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub olive oil all over. Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper (add other spices of your choice if you want).

I use a convection oven so I roast about 50-60 min at 350 degrees. For a conventional oven, up the temp to 375 and roast until heat-safe thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 165-170. Rest 15 min then carve. Pour juices in pan over leftover chicken before storing.

Microwave asparagus: trim (snap ends off), wash, and dry one bunch of asparagus. Place in glass pyrex. Drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Shake it up to coat evenly. Nuke 3 min. Add additional 1 min at a time for thicker spears, but I've never had to go more than 5 total min of nuke time.

My other easy dish is salmon. Buy 1 inch thick filets (if thinner, fold under to make even thickness all around).Cut filets into 3-inch sections. Rub with EVOO, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Again I use convection and do 400 degrees, 11-12 minutes. If you use a conventional oven I'd try 425 degrees. Do not overcook! Roast only until JUST done.

infomama
07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Crockpot mexican chicken..
chicken, salsa, beans, spices, peppers, onions....goodness.

brittone2
07-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Add us to the whole roasted chicken crowd LOL. We take the leftovers, and cube or shred (in the food processor) for other meals and then freeze/flash freeze. I almost always make 2 at a time in a huge roasting pan. Chop some root veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips...whatever floats your boat) in with the chicken and you have a side dish ready to go.

The cubed leftover meat is easy to turn into chicken salad, quesadillas, fajitas, chicken soft tacos/wraps, toss over salad greens, etc. Mix w/ broccoli and an alfredo sauce (we don't do pasta but you could do that w/ it too).

My kids like thighs tossed with yogurt and fresh crushed garlic (easy with the TJs frozen cubes) , oregano and a little thyme. And sea salt. Really easy. We bake it like that in the oven and for some reason they devour it. That one takes me about 5 mins to prep to go in the oven, if that.

Egg salad?

quiche and a salad works well here.

bisous
07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Lots of great ideas! Thanks!

Some of those are "too fancy" for my brood (DSs and DH) but sound absolutely delicious to me. I've added quite a few ideas to my repertoire!

amldaley
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Pasta bakes.

I boil up either a multigrain pasta or calcium enriched pasta. While it is boiling, I preheat the oven.

I use whatever veggies I have handy, either frozen mixed veg, frozen or canned peas, corn works well, etc. Peas seem to be the fave around here. I beat anwhere from 4-8 eggs (minus some yolks) and add some seasoning...whatever I happen to grab. I add some (soy) milk. If I want protein, I take a can of beans, rinse, through them in the blender with a little oil or water or (soy) milk.

I boil the pasta al dente. Drain. Stir in the veggies and the bean puree and beaten eggs.

Pour in to a greased ceramic or glass baker and bake for 15-30 minutes at 375. It seems simple and bland but it is so easy, keeps well for leftovers and DD and DH are always satisfied with it.

Spaghetti and red sauce are always a hit here, too and can be made cheaply and quickly. Again, I puree veggies to add to the sauce.

DrSally
07-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Whole wheat nan (Target) with kalamata olives (big jar from Costco) and cheese, pop in toaster oven

Frozen cheese tortellini plain or w/squash pasta sauce (Costco), plus veggie

Frozen tilapia in toaster oven (foil packet) with veggie and brown rice

Tondi G
07-07-2011, 01:08 AM
pasta is always an easy quick meal for us

spaghetti with TJ's organic marinara and TJ's turkey meatballs

TJ's cheese tortillini and organic marinara

chili in the crock pot

Tacos or fajitas

mac n cheese, side of broccoli

chicken italian sausages, peppers and onions and salad (my DS1 doesn't like sausages so he eats a hot dog instead)

chili dogs are good too ... often the kids eat their hot dogs plain ... DH and I top with TJ's turkey chili. serve with sliced cucumbers and corn on the cob... if you want, you could do some oven baked fries

MontrealMum
07-07-2011, 01:18 AM
I will often do up a bunch of chicken breasts at a time, freeze them and then use them in chicken salad or as a topping on a green salad with lots of things like nuts, dried or fresh fruit, and a sprinkling of cheese.

We find refried beans very quick and easy...either in quesadillas (I make guac and buy lowfat sour cream, dice tomatoes, and add peppers and onions), or tacos. The quesadillas are probably healthier as we buy whole wheat ones.

We do a lot of omelettes when pressed for time, usually goat cheese with some sort of veg added, and sometimes my DH will make bannock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannock_(food)) too which are nice with jam.

And this is my super-easy go-to, but I don't think you can eat it since you're pregnant. But the rest of your family can! I do smoked salmon (very easy to buy here super cheap, depends on what part of the country you live in) and I serve it with Krisp bread and goat cheese. I'll sometimes add a side like rice or quinoa (easy) or German potato salad (more effort).

I'm also a big fan of cooking a large piece of meat at the beginning of the week: turkey, whole chicken, ham, roast (beef), fish...and then using it over a period of perhaps 4-5 days in different ways.