PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken the CBEST?

niccig
07-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I did the GRE today and now need to do the CBEST. I thought the CBEST was supposed to be easier..how much time will I need to prep for that? Do I need to get a study book? I was going to take it sometime in August, hopefully when some of the GRE is still ingrained.

Thanks.

sariana
07-06-2011, 08:35 PM
It has been years (almost decades!) since I took the CBEST, but I don't think I really prepared for it at all. I never have taken the GRE, so I can't compare, but I would guess that the CBEST is indeed easier. It is the CA Basic Educational Skills Test, after all. The GRE is a graduate-level assessment, right? The CBEST is designed to ensure that teaching candidates have basic core knowledge of a broad range of subjects, not the level of knowledge necessary for graduate work in a subject.

Again, though, I took it years ago (1994 or so). It may have changed since then because of all the emphasis on "highly qualified" teachers and whatnot.

MommyofAmaya
07-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Congrats on getting through the GRE! It is one reason I haven't gone back to get a different degree. I'm terrified of the math portion!

mom2binsd
07-06-2011, 08:42 PM
It is pretty easy....you'll have no difficulties. You got into SLP grad school so we know you're a smart gal (says the SLP). It's really just a basic skills test, nothing like the GRE even.

bisous
07-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I took the CBEST 10 years ago and passed without any incident whatsoever. Not even CLOSE to the difficulty of the GRE!

nfowife
07-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Very easy. I promise you will have no problems if you can do basic math.

niccig
07-06-2011, 09:25 PM
It is pretty easy....you'll have no difficulties. You got into SLP grad school so we know you're a smart gal (says the SLP). It's really just a basic skills test, nothing like the GRE even.

I'm not in Grad school proper yet. I am in a grad course that gives me the pre-requisites to apply for the MS. My adviser said to do the CBEST soon after the GRE as similar material. I better get into the MS program..I'm working my tushie harder than ever before..and loving it.

niccig
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Congrats on getting through the GRE! It is one reason I haven't gone back to get a different degree. I'm terrified of the math portion!

I was scared too...it's been 20 yrs since I've done any of this. I didn't do any Math in college, but, I was surprised at what came back to me. Larig posted a math review prepared by the GRE folks, and I worked through that and some prep books. I didn't get as much practice of timed tests as I would have liked, and with more time to study, I think I could have done better in the Qant, but I got what I needed for the schools I'm interested in.

niccig
07-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks all. I'll schedule it for when we're back from vacation. I don't want to get another prep book for it, already spent way too much on GRE materials...so I'll get something from the college library - I just need to know the format, kind of questions etc. It helped today to know how things were going to be presented...

ha98ed14
07-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks all. I'll schedule it for when we're back from vacation. I don't want to get another prep book for it, already spent way too much on GRE materials...so I'll get something from the college library - I just need to know the format, kind of questions etc. It helped today to know how things were going to be presented...

Late to the party, but you do not need to prepare for it, especially since you are prepped for the GRE. The SATs are harder than the CBEST! I didn't prepare for it at all and came out with a perfect score. You'll do fine...even in your sleep! ;)

niccig
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Late to the party, but you do not need to prepare for it, especially since you are prepped for the GRE. The SATs are harder than the CBEST! I didn't prepare for it at all and came out with a perfect score. You'll do fine...even in your sleep! ;)

Good to hear..I didn't get perfect GRE score - 600 and 530 - but decent enough for my program, I had to get over 1000. So, I'm done.

ha98ed14
07-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Good to hear..I didn't get perfect GRE score - 600 and 530 - but decent enough for my program, I had to get over 1000. So, I'm done.

Honestly, I think the CBEST is checking if you have a pulse and are can you pay attention to the task at hand. The GRE was much harder (and anxiety provoking!) for me.

niccig
07-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Honestly, I think the CBEST is checking if you have a pulse and are can you pay attention to the task at hand. The GRE was much harder (and anxiety provoking!) for me.

:ROTFLMAO: yes the GRE was more anxiety provoking. I was sure I had bombed the quantitive section section, so pleasantly surprised that got what I did, and it's good enough for my course. My adviser told me that they take into account the entire package, and GRE have to be over minimum requirement, but barely over won't make a difference if everything else is great.

I'll book the CBEST for soon, to get it over and done with.

AnnieW625
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Congratulations! I got an 800 I think, if that it might have only been 700 though.

My sister and brother both took the CBEST and they said it was easy and that I could've passed it, but I can't pass a standardized test to save my life, unless it's written. But yeah I am pretty sure that you can pass it.

nfowife
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I think one of the questions on the CBEST was something like "if a large pizza is $5.75 and each topping is $1.25, how much is 2 large pizzas with 3 toppings each".

It's really easy. No sweat.

DebbieJ
07-10-2011, 01:08 AM
The CBEST is a breeze. I did absolutely no prep and passed with flying colors. You'll do fine.