PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for a 4yo and infant?

beltm
07-06-2011, 08:45 PM
What are the oPtions for a bigger kid (think very tall 4yo) and an infant. Would be mostly for the zoo, state fair etc so I would think AT or something with bigger wheels. I am asking because the only strollers I have found that I think will accommodate a tall 4yo are the BJ micro and elite doubles and I am contemplating grabbing a micro double while they are still available. I know the PHil and teds can handle a tall kid in the main seat but bit sure whee the infant would go. Is the MB a seat for a bigger kid? Just don't want to miss out on the micro if that's my best option for a double even though we're not pregnant yet. I doubt something like a vista or bjcs will work for us since he's tall and with anlong torso. So tell me, do I just hope that something comes out that will accommodate a tall 4yo and infant car seat or just grab a micro double now and put it away soni knowni have something that will work for us (I know I'd have to buy the car seat adaptor for it)? all the doubles out there seem like they are made formtoddlers not am older kid. Oh and he won't fit in the bjcmd. Thanks.

legaleagle
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
If you're not even pregnant yet, don't worry about it - there are great new doubles coming out all the time and you don't know exactly what your son will need by the time you have a baby, so I wouldn't worry about it now. The BJC micro has no real recline, so it's only good for 6+ months (most people say close to a year). Also, the wheels are quite small, not even close to AT size.

I have really tall kids myself, so I know how frustrating it is to find strollers for bigger kids. I just got a P&T verve which has a huge main seat and a reclining doubles seat - I'd definitely feel comfortable putting a 3+ month old there. Way different price range than a bjcmicro obviously, but just an indication of all the stuff that's coming out.

RunnerDuck
07-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Based on my own personal experience - you really may not want a double for that age gap. I can't think of my first son riding in a stroller at all past 3 1/2 and my girls now only ride for exercise or if I NEED to contain them. A state fair in my experience would be an evil place to push a double and my girls do OK at the zoo without a stroller now. Again just my experience but esp. if you're not even pregnant yet - I wouldn't count on needing one. I know all kids are different but that's just my opinion.

beltm
07-07-2011, 11:20 AM
alright, thanks ladies, i am going to wait because you are right, who knows if he'll even want to ride by then. so i'll just figure it out then.

vonfirmath
07-07-2011, 11:44 AM
My almost 4 year old almost does not ride in a stroller at all

If we go somewhere that he MIGHT want to ride, I figure we'll take our Baby Jogger City Mini and carry the baby when the 4 year old is riding. As-is, he would not be riding all the time and we'd have several adults most likely in this situation. Baby can use stroller when he was not.

ETA: And in this situation I would not take the infant seat in to the state fair/zoo/etc. The Mini has a deep enough recline that I'd be okay with it for one day

AnnieW625
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I bought a Bob Duallie for my 4 yr. old, and my infant last year and I love it. My 4 yr. old however was riding in an Uppa Baby Vista, and a Maclaren Triumph without any issue until a couple of weeks before DD2 was born. I love my Bob Duallie. We also though take our stroller out for 2 to 3 mile walks at least once a week so it was a necessity us.

alirebco
07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't have a double and my kids are a little over 3 years apart. DS rarely rides in the stroller but if he wants to, I wear the baby. When we went to the zoo, we took our Vista and he occasionally sat in it if he was tired.

I would wait until baby gets here and see what you think. I think a stroller is unnecessary for the first few months anyway.

RunnerDuck
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
ok you know what i am kind of going to eat my words, the annoying thing is in the past i would take my stroller to the zoo and the girls wouldn't ride so it's like yay I am pushing this giant orange stroller for no reason - so today i took my single graco thinking we'd ride the train - that's my no one will steal this stroller stroller - i had the baby in it in his bucket so i could hide him from the sun completely and dammit if the girls weren't complaining they were tired and wanted to be carried the whole time. worst zoo trip ever. thank god i was with my SIL and niece who is 10 so I had help lugging the whiny crabby girls around. however even if i had had my dualie i would have been in a pickle because i wanted the baby under cover, not worn but one girl could have hopped in the footwell in a pinch. it sounds like an in a pinch stroller may work for you so why not get a single bob for the baby? If you want a beefy double so you can get out and exercise a dualie would work for you but if you really just need something now and then it might be overkill. I have an old and a new single bob and I think the old style footwell would be better for hopping in to ride, but the new MIGHT work... anyway I bet that would work out really well.