PDA

View Full Version : Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease + swim lessons...WWYD?

wencit
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
DS2 was diagnosed with HFM today, and based on DS1's complaints about his throat, I'm 99% sure he has it, too. I've been reading some old threads on it here, as well as literature from the CDC and Mayo Clinic, and getting conflicting information about when kids are no longer contagious -- anywhere from 24 hours after the fever breaks to weeks afterward. (My pediatrician today told me, "once his mouth is feeling better and he's back to his old self." Um, not very specific!) DS1's fever broke yesterday, but today he's complained bitterly about his sore throat.

DS1 is supposed to have swim lessons all this week and next, and I'm wondering when I can let him return. The place where I signed him up specifically does not give refunds due to illness, and of course, I prepaid $125 for these 2 weeks. Gah! When do you think it would be OK for me to send DS1 to swim lessons?

Thanks!

HonoluluMom
07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Sorry, was DS1 diagnosed with HFM? In any event, I'd call your pediatrician to get the okay to go to swim class.

HFM is terrible and when DD had it everyone was miserable. I kept her close for probably a week after the fever and sores disappeared to be safe and not to expose others to it. My very vague recollection is that even if there aren't any outward physical signs, it still can be transmitted through feces.

twowhat?
07-06-2011, 10:52 PM
My ped said OK to go back to daycare when sores have healed. You'd think all that chlorine in the water would kill the virus...

The bigger issue probably is that he'll be miserable. The sores hurt and getting water on them hurts even more. HFM is just a miserable illness!!!

newg
07-06-2011, 11:02 PM
DD had a very mild case of this a few weeks ago.....It started on a Sunday and we were suppose to travel to see family on Friday (and ILs have a pool).
My ped said that as long as the fever has broken, and she is comfortable, she could travel and swim......she said the virus is shared through saliva, so as long as DD didn't share food/drink or kiss anyone; we'd be okay.
DD2 did not get this and neither did DD's cousin.......keeping our fingers crossed it stays that way.

I would think after the fever breaks....as long as he's feeling okay.....you could swim.

wencit
07-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry, was DS1 diagnosed with HFM? DS1 was not formally diagnosed, but DS2 had a well-baby visit this afternoon, and the ped did diagnose DS2 with HFM. They've had the exact same symptoms, and judging from the fact that DS1 was complaining terribly about his throat today, I'm also assuming he has the same thing.

I don't plan on bringing DS1 to the pool while his throat is bothering him, but I'm just wondering if it's OK to bring him once he feels well. I read that HFM is extremely contagious, and I know he'll be doing stuff like blowing bubbles into the pool, which, of course, exposes his saliva to all the other kids.

Tondi G
07-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I would talk to the school and see if they would be willing to let you move your lessons a week or two later. Hand Foot and Mouth is a different thing than say your child catching a cold and not wanting to swim. I would talk to them .... it's highly contagious and not fair to all the other kids swimming in the pool who might contract it.

My neighbors DD had it when my DS2 was little ... they kept her away from all the neighborhood kids for a full week.

HonoluluMom
07-07-2011, 05:51 AM
I would talk to the school and see if they would be willing to let you move your lessons a week or two later. Hand Foot and Mouth is a different thing than say your child catching a cold and not wanting to swim. I would talk to them .... it's highly contagious and not fair to all the other kids swimming in the pool who might contract it.

:yeahthat:

I totally agree. HFM is highly contagious. Also consider that it's not just the actual pool/pool water you need to think about. Your LO may be touching other things as well (and exposing other children) - chairs, tables, shower, railings, etc.

jacksmomtobe
07-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I would see if you could reschedule or get a credit to be applied to future lessons. This isn't your child being sick with just a cold this is your child having a highly contagious condition. DD had it a while back and I kept her out of school for a week. I was told that some Peds give different recommendations believing that it is so contagious everyone is going to get it anyway but if you read the CDC they are pretty clear about limiting your child's exposure to others. I think if you explain that this could spread to others and that based on their duty to keep the pool a healthy environment they might be willing to negotiate with you.

Good Luck!