PDA

View Full Version : Constant Eye Blinking---new behavior

HIU8
07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
DS has been doing this hard eye blinking thing for a few months now. It seems to be getting worse. It seems to happen whether DS is anxious or not. I'm worried. I can't tell if it is tied to anxiety, Tourette's or something else. DS also has ADHD.

Gena
07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Has his vision been checked recently? If not, I would suggest an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist just to rule out vision issues.

Any new meds or supplements? Some can cause tics.

Is his head hurting when he does this?

essnce629
07-07-2011, 12:38 AM
DS1 developed an eye blinking tic twice-- once when he was 3 and again a year ago. When he was 3 it went away on it's own after a few weeks (I read tics are pretty common in kids). When it came back a year ago I read online that tics can be a sign of magnesium deficiency. So that night I started DS back on Natural Calm magnesium, which is a powdered magnesium citrate that you mix with water. Within 48 hours the tic was gone! Stress can bring on tics and magnesium also known as an anti-stress supplement. It's great to take before bed to help you sleep. Many people are magnesium deficient.

Natural Calm (it gets excellent reviews)
http://www.vitacost.com/Peter-Gillham-Natural-Calm

HIU8
07-07-2011, 10:31 AM
His eyes were just checked. No issues.

He is not currently on any meds or suppliments.

He says his head does not hurt.

I'm going to call the devel ped and talk to him about it. It's just worrisome b/c he does both eyes together and really squeezes them tight (but has no idea he is doing it).

HIU8
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks, I will look into magnesium deficiency.

happy2bamom
07-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Let us know what they say. DS has been doing this more recently too. I'm thinking that his is more stress/anxiety related, but I'm not 100% sure.

pinkmomagain
07-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Transient tics are not uncommon in children, especially boys. My 2 of my nephews have had transient tics, one has tourettes. It is normally determined my how long it persists, I believe. Hopefully, it is just a phase.

daisymommy
08-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Heather, I know this thread is old, but I just saw it. It's pretty common for facial tics to go hand-in-hand with ADD. It's often made worse by the ADD meds (crazy, I know), artificials in the diet, stress & anxiety. The tics usually come and go. It happens to my DS and my brother as well (who is like a carbon copy of my DS).

The neurons and nerve impulse problems associated with ADD sometimes go haywire in the face and cause the tics.

I hope it gets better!

HIU8
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks. Just at the devel ped. She didn't seem to think much of it at this point (wants to see if it gets worse or better over the next year). We don't medicate right now and are supposed to watch DS and call within the next year (august 2012) if we see things getting worse.

hillview
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
DS1 has gone through 2 phases of this. I think it was anxiety but he did it at times that were not high anxiety (eg watching TV). I ignored it and after a month or so it went away.
/hillary

mytwosons
08-09-2011, 06:40 AM
We are also huge fans of magnesium, but in my son, the blinking is tied to taurine and dairy. He had been GFCF and a whole lot more, but out grew his dairy allergy. When we reintroduced it, he started the blinking (which we had seen in the past as well - but very briefly). Removing the dairy stops the ticks. But, we found l-taurine also stops the ticks and we can continue to give him dairy. Kirkman's has a very small capsule that is easy to swallow.