PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use virgin mobile's no contract plan?

vludmilla
07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Virgin Mobile has an unbelievable sounding $25 cell phone plan with unlimited data, texting, and 300 min of cell use with no contract or sales tax and fees. It seems too good to be true with the Motorola Triumph android phone for VM that is coming out soon. The coverage map seems to suggest that coverage would be good in the NYC metro area. Does anyone here (or elsewhere) have any opinions of VM?

Green_Tea
07-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Yup, I use it. I found out about it here on BBB! I have an LG Optimus V. I have been very, very pleased. I have used it in LI with no issue, but not in the city.

kijip
07-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Yup, I use it. I found out about it here on BBB! I have an LG Optimus V. I have been very, very pleased. I have used it in LI with no issue, but not in the city.

How much is your bill after taxes? We are paying too much for how very, very little we use our phones.

Green_Tea
07-06-2011, 10:18 PM
How much is your bill after taxes? We are paying too much for how very, very little we use our phones.

$26.50. I pay as I go.

I know it sounds too good to be true, but it is :D.

vludmilla
07-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Thank you for responding, Green Tea! I am going to switch to VM this month. Now I have to decide whether to get the Optimus or the Triumph. I'll probably just let DH get the newer one and I'll get the Optimus.

khm
07-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I looked into it, as we already have Sprint, so are familiar with that network and have no "dead zones".

But, I learned that where the Sprint network is non-existent, the calls are picked up on Verizon's network. With VirginMobile, Verizon doesn't pick up. Therefore, I don't think it'd be a good option for us given our area. :(

lowrioh
07-07-2011, 10:22 AM

If you don't need a data plan, there pay as go lets you load $20 and that will keep your phone active until you use your minutes or 90 days. We have been using it for a long time. The money rolls over and I have around $150 credit on my account. There is a small tax (like ~$2 per top up)
Works great for people who don't use their phones much.

mytwosons
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
If you don't need a data plan, there pay as go lets you load $20 and that will keep your phone active until you use your minutes or 90 days. We have been using it for a long time. The money rolls over and I have around $150 credit on my account. There is a small tax (like ~$2 per top up)
Works great for people who don't use their phones much.

I want to make sure I have this correct. I can spend $30 to get started with their 1500 mins. After 30 days, I can load $20 that will keep the minutes active for 90 days. Rinse, repeat?

AnnieW625
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
My mom Virgin Mobile and she's really happy with it. She has had her phone for the last 5 or so years so I am not sure what plan she has. She doesn't text and only once forgotten to load $20 onto her phone. I thought about going this route for DH who barely uses his phone and doesn't text, but it was cheaper to keep him on the $10 family plan I have through Verizon.

liz
07-07-2011, 06:23 PM
My DH has the same phone as Green Tea. I first heard about this plan here on the BBB and suggested it to DH. He is very pleased with it so far. There is a map online that shows what the expected coverage is in your area. We have one or two dead zones, but we had the same issues with AT&T and it's not really a big deal.

hellokitty
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I had the pay per minute virgin phone for yrs. However, when we got rid of our landline, I ended up doing the family plan with DH on sprint. Our contract runs out in Oct, and we are going to switch to virgin. My friend has the unlimited data plan and LOVES it. It is HALF the price of sprint's unlimited data family plan with two phones, and that's WITH DH's work discount.

momm
07-18-2011, 11:40 AM
$26.50. I pay as I go.

I know it sounds too good to be true, but it is :D.

This thread is so timely! I really need to switch

Green_tea, what is pay as you go? Is it different from the 25$ a month beyond talk plan?

Thanks!

lowrioh
07-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I want to make sure I have this correct. I can spend $30 to get started with their 1500 mins. After 30 days, I can load $20 that will keep the minutes active for 90 days. Rinse, repeat?

I use the basic rate where you add $20 and then you pay 0.20 a minute for calls and 0.15 for text messages. The minutes "expire" after 90 days but IME the phone is deactivated if you don't top up in the 90 days but you don't lose the minutes.

Green_Tea
07-18-2011, 01:16 PM
This thread is so timely! I really need to switch

Green_tea, what is pay as you go? Is it different from the 25$ a month beyond talk plan?

Thanks!

Nope, it's the same as the beyond talk plan. I just am not signed up for any automatic billing or anything, so each month I log in and add more money for the next month. I wasn't sure if there's a way to sign up for automatic billing, and if so, if I'd need to be singed up for it to keep my old rate (hopefully not!).

It's an awesome plan!

(I PMed you momm, but wanted to answer here, too!)

Bens Momma
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I have the $20 every 90 days pay-as-you-go plan as I never text and barely use my phone. DH upgraded to a higher end phone and does the $25 a month unlimited plan. You can log on to your account and set it to "top up" automatically with some choices (at a specific time frame or when your balance gets below a certain amount.) I have mine to automatically top up every 90 days or when my balance gets below $5. DH is just automatically billed each month. I've had to call CS a couple times because there was a glitch and it didn't automatically work (both times I/they couldn't figure out why) but other than that we've been very happy with our phones and service. I think it all depends on how much you use your phone and for what (texting, web, etc.) We don't use ours all that much so it's saved us a bunch of $.

HTH-
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!