PDA

View Full Version : GOOD UPDATE Has anyone been reimbursed for expenses when airline lost your luggage?

american_mama
07-06-2011, 11:17 PM
UPDATE 2: Hadn't heard a thing from American Airlines until a check arrived today!!! Yay!! They reimbursed me for 71% of my submitted expenses, $163 out of the $229 I submitted for. Very happy! They wrote a semi-personalized apology letter too, second best one I've ever received from a company.

UPDATE1: I talked to customer service today and think reimbursement will be easier than I and others here thought, although it may not cover everything. As another person said, there is a set amount of reimbursement per day bag was "delayed", with the amount being a little more generous when you are overseas. There is also some wiggle room since it's decided on a case-by-case basis, which I hope I can wiggle to my advantage. I took photos of the clothes I bought, plus the bag with its priority tag, and I have my original baggage claim ticket, which they need, so I'm hopeful. Next time, I will be packing things like a swimsuit in my carry-on, and I'm photographing all our checked bags before we leave. When it was lost, I couldn't remember if the suitcase was black, dark green, or navy, nor the brand (apparently, all details they use in a giant database to help find a lost bag.)

Has anyone had their luggage lost by an airline, bought replacement clothes/toiletries, then had luggage found and still been reimbursed for expenses? If so, any advice about how to successfully get reimbursed?

In my case, we just returned from a trip to the Carribbean, flying on American Airlines. My suitcase was lost for three days. It was 95 degrees, 100 percent humidity, I'd just gotten my period the day we flew, and I had the clothes I was wearing, a toothbrush, a few tampons, and a pair of sandals in the kids' suitcase. We were staying at three different hotels in three different parts of the country, didn't know if DH's cell phone was a functioning means of contact, and weren't too impressed with the airline's response, so we had little hope of getting the suticase back. I went and bought replacement items on Day 2. To my amazement, without contacting me, the airline found and delivered my suitcase to my tiny hotel, two hours from the airport, at the end of Day 3.

FWIW we flew first class using frequent flyer miles, which meant the suitcase was tagged priority. DH is a frequent flyer and had elite status until earlier this year. Hoping one or both facts might grease the wheels.

DrSally
07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
They really do everything to get the suitcase to you. I've had several instances of suitcases delivered to me via courier. I was reimbursed for both a broken stroller and carseat. I had to specifically stop by CS before leaving and show them the damage.

SpaceGal
07-06-2011, 11:27 PM
JetBlue "lost" or car seat...ended up delayed. They loaned me a seat and gave me a voucher. The next day they delivered the seat to my SIL's house where we were staying. I was fine with that service.

Granted luggage is a whole other story but hopefully they can compensate you for your troubles.

HannaAddict
07-07-2011, 01:01 AM
If you have your luggage, you will be lucky to get anything. If you write to them, not even email, you might get some miles, but I doubt you will get much. Especially flying on FF tickets. It is no fun, but glad they did get you the luggage because trying to get replacement coverage for everything these days is a nightmare. About twenty years ago, American lost my luggage coming back from a Christmas trip to Vail and I had expensive clothes, brand new ski things for the trip, etc. but they were great. Those days are gone I fear!

kijip
07-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I think HannaAddict is right. When I was 17, a major airline (I forget which one now) lost my camping gear and fishing pole on my way to a long backpacking trip. They almost immediately paid for full replacements and were besides themselves assuring me I could make my trip. Which honestly was really nice because most of what I had to replace with new was really used handmedowns. I did not go nuts or buy a better rod than they had lost but it was nice to get a pair of new hiking boots, and an internal frame pack and a sleeping pad with a good zipper and a thermarest that had not been patched four thousand times. I still have most of that gear, T just slept on the thermarest this last trip.

echoesofspring
07-07-2011, 01:29 AM
United lost my bag this past NYE. Fortunately I was headed to my parents house, so I could borrow stuff from my mom, etc. But I did need toiletries, contact soln, etc. I got verbal agreement from the CS to buy stuff and they would reimburse me, I think there was a set amt per day lost The bag arrived before I had purchased much -they gave me the option of being reimbursed for what I had purchased or a travel voucher for $100.

brgnmom
07-07-2011, 02:33 AM
If you have your luggage, you will be lucky to get anything. If you write to them, not even email, you might get some miles, but I doubt you will get much. Especially flying on FF tickets. It is no fun, but glad they did get you the luggage because trying to get replacement coverage for everything these days is a nightmare. About twenty years ago, American lost my luggage coming back from a Christmas trip to Vail and I had expensive clothes, brand new ski things for the trip, etc. but they were great. Those days are gone I fear!

ITA. my laptop was stolen from my luggage when flying on Jet Blue and it was not reimbursed. I filed a police report and claim, but nothing was done... someone who checked through the luggage ran off w/ my laptop. fortunately, we backed up the pics, but I learned the hard way several years ago not to be as trusting w/ valuables when traveling.

american_mama
07-07-2011, 10:36 PM
bump for a positive update

BillK
07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
My luggage was lost on the way to Seoul, Korea. Korean Air gave me $100 for my troubles. It did show up in Seoul the day after I did. :ROTFLMAO:

georgiegirl
07-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Once my bags were three days late, and when I received them, my clothes were damp. They gave me $50 for cleaning expenses.

Once when my car seat was lost, they gave us a loaner (a nasty old convertible for my petite 3 month old...we ended up borrowing an infant bucket from a friend.). They also lost our stoller, but I declined the offer of a loaner...a flimsy umbrella stroller...clearly not appropriate for a 3 month old. Both were returned 3 days later.

american_mama
09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
bump for good update