PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Moving long distance--move or sell washer/dryer

lalasmama
07-06-2011, 11:24 PM
It looks like DD and I moving several states away. My family has all moved already (well, aunts, uncles, cousins), and my sister just moved 6 hours the opposite way, so I need to move somewhere to get some family support! Expect a zillion questions in the next 3 months until we move, because this will be my first "on my own" move so far away.

The first thing I've become concerned about is the washer and dryer. They are old and cheap, but they work. They will be a pain in the butt to move--and I gotta believe that they will cut down the MPG on the Uhaul because they are so heavy.

I'm betting I could sell them for $50 before we move on CL. However, then I would be stuck at the laundry mat for who knows how long at the new place. But, like I said, I'm scared about how much it will drag the Uhaul down.

Wow, I'm overthinking this, huh?

So, take the washer and dryer, or sell it and buy something else once we get to our destination?

traciann
07-07-2011, 12:21 AM
As someone who is currently using coin laundry...KEEP THEM! If you can't replace them right away then I think they are worth moving.

tiapam
07-07-2011, 12:38 AM
If you know they will actually fit in your new place, I would take them rather than be stuck with the laundromat. But that means 1) will they go through every door they need to and 2) also fit in the spot they will go in. I know someone who moved machines across country only to find they did not fit well in the new laundry room. Around here, we tend to leave washers and dryers with the house. But if you have the money to buy new when you get there, that sounds like a good option, too.

ha98ed14
07-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Totally OT, but I've been following your story. What does this move mean for your future DC?

HannaAddict
07-07-2011, 01:14 AM
I would check the local craigslist or online ads for the area where you are moving and see if there are decent/cheap replacement units listed. If there are several, I would not transport them. If there is no way I could afford to replace them with inexpensive or used units, then I would take them and hope for the best.

lalasmama
07-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Totally OT, but I've been following your story. What does this move mean for your future DC?

It means that unfortunately (UGH) I'm going to have likely wait until NEXT spring for the new foster baby. :( Not pleased. But the trade-offs are soooo worth it. I'll be near my favorite aunties, DD will get to be around her cousins, and I'll have more support from my family. The new place has a lower cost of living. And I've been told that it will help my health a lot (more sun for vit D, less molds to screw with my asthma, etc). And I'll be able to afford a bigger house, with more room for another foster child.

It's a brand-new decision--literally less than 12 hours since I made the final decision. Need to change my siggy now :(

citymama
07-07-2011, 01:51 AM
I would not transport them if you can afford to buy replacements when you get there. When we moved we were without laundry for exactly a week before Sears Outlet delivered the new w/d and it was fine. But it's not cheap to replace them, although it sounds like youll need to do so soonish in any case. In addition to mpg, factor in the expense/hassle of physically moving and loading these heavy machines on each end of if the move!

lalasmama
07-07-2011, 03:11 AM
I would check the local craigslist or online ads for the area where you are moving and see if there are decent/cheap replacement units listed. If there are several, I would not transport them. If there is no way I could afford to replace them with inexpensive or used units, then I would take them and hope for the best.

I totally hadn't thought about CL, which is stupid of me, because I usually go to there for everything! There's several sets, more than I want to spend, but still reasonable. I'll keep an eye out for some good deals, and plan on buying off CL when I get there, I think. If all else fails, at least DD loves the laundry mat, weird kid she is :p

TwinFoxes
07-07-2011, 06:14 AM

:yeahthat: In addition to other's reasons for not moving them, you can't be sure the place you're going to has correct hookups for the dryer (gas or electric). If you have a gas dryer and the place you move to is all electric, you're screwed.

I'm nosy, where are you moving to? I hope you like it.

RunnerDuck
07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
When we moved into this house it had no washer and dryer and I don't know how we puilled it off but we got one fairly quickly. I had 3 kids at the time, 2 in cloth diapers, so I would have remembered any sort of laundry hell! I wouldn't worry too much about the lapse. If there is family there use theirs! LOL Great chance to visit. We are ouse hunting now and plan to leave the washer and dryer, the washer is too small for 6 people and it would seem weird to leave one and not the other.

See if the place near where you move has a sears outlet aka scratch and dent place! You can get some killer deals. If any appliance is going to be less than pretty the washer and dryer are it IMO.

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Do you know for sure where you are moving has no washer and dryer? Most rentals we have lived in have had them, once we got out of living in apartment complexes (renting through real estate agencies for houses).

Beth