PDA

View Full Version : Would you switch dentists?

s7714
07-07-2011, 07:01 AM
The other day I was searching for a mom from our elem. school on Facebook, and one of the resulting (outside FB) links was for a list of people who had financially supported a controversial ballot measure. I was floored at the thought this person would have supported it, so I clicked on the link to check the list. She wasn't actually on the list, but I was shocked to see my dentist listed. He has a uncommon name, so I'm 99.9% sure it's him.

I don't want to say what the actual measure was, but suffice it to say it's something he probably has moral or religious contradictions to. I'm usually a pretty middle of the road, support what you will I won't judge you kind of person, but this is one issue I do whole heartedly disagree with because it's hate based IMO.

Anyway, I'm really thinking about switching dentists over this. DH thinks I'm being silly. I've been going to this dentist for about 12 years, and while he's always been nice and done a decent job, I wouldn't classify him as the best dentist I've ever gone to or anything. I'm just dreading sitting in the chair thinking "how could you" while he's working on my teeth. But OTOH I don't know what I'd say if I had to ask for a copy of my records and stuff. WWYD? Would you switch dentists or ignore it? If you did switch to a new dentist, would you admit the real reason why you're leaving?

ourbabygirl
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I would switch if I were you. If you need to give a reason why and don't want to admit the truth, you could just say you're going somewhere with different/ better hours or one closer to your house/ work.

kijip
07-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I probably would not. I do not have to agree with a healthcare professional politically or religiously to use their services, anymore than I think would expect to be dropped as a patient for my political or religious views. Unless it was something just horrible or criminal- terrorism, a membership in a group seeking to "advance the rights" of pedophiles, KKK membership. So NRA membership=ok by me even when I am a gun control supporter while membership in a wack-job militia illegally arming for a revolution= keep your hands out of my mouth and I will call ATF to report you if I can.

My favorite nurse practitioner and midwife has many Christian and conservative views I do not share. But she is the best midwife I found and we get along great. We do not need to agree to have a great patient provider relationship. But if you don't feel comfortable about him anymore, that is ample reason to switch. You should do what is best for you.

mommylamb
07-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I think it depends on the issue. If I found out that some service provider I used was a member of the neo-nazis or some similar group, yes, I would switch. I wouldn't feel compelled to give a reason. If they asked, I'd say it was a better fit for me. But, it would have to be something really extreme like that to make me do it. I have no problem with someone who disagrees with me on most issues.

waitingforgrace
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I would not, especially since you can't be certain it was him.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
i would not. i dont' think i have to agree politically with a doctor or dentist or other professional for me to use their services. Unlike it was something extreme like PP said (like they were part of a NeoNazi group or a terrorist group or something). but being on the opposite side of a ballot measure...nope, doesn't even come up on my radar. unless he brought up the topic or other politics when you come in, or something like that, i wouldn't consider switching if it were me.

our nanny is pretty conservative Christian and is a strong Palin supporter..while i am pretty much a liberal's liberal. on her FB i see she often supports a lot of right-wing groups.for me though it just isn't an issue, we don't really discuss politics and it doesn't come up at all really and we get along well. she is great with DS, my DS loves her so for me it's not a big issue at all and i wouldn't consider switching over the difference in political views.

bubbaray
07-07-2011, 12:43 PM
I would not. I don't have to agree with my dentist (or doctor) on anything other than the care they provide to me. JMHO

ha98ed14
07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I would not. I don't have to agree with my dentist (or doctor) on anything other than the care they provide to me. JMHO

I agree with her, even though I think I know the issue at hand and I agree with your views 100%!!! I look at it this way: There are a lot of people whose religious convictions put them in opposition to me and my views, but I am not going to be able to avoid doing business with all of them. My dentist here is an evangelical Christian. I don't agree with all/ most of his social positions, but if I move to a Mormon dentist, there is not necessarily going to be any difference. Same if he/she is a Catholic. In addition, how am I going to be assured that the new dentist shares my position on abortion, gay marriage, legalizing marijuana, etc.? I can't really bring it up as relevant to my dental care in a "get to know you" consultation. That's my opinion.

P.S. OC is a very socially conservative (read Republican) part of the state (and country!). Even if you could interview the dentists as to their positions on different social issues, I think you would be hard pressed to find one that agrees with you!

s7714
07-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I do not have to agree with a healthcare professional politically or religiously to use their services, anymore than I think would expect to be dropped as a patient for my political or religious views.

That's a very good point.

Melanie
07-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I think it just depends upon how strongly you feel about the ballot measure. I felt surrounded during the last heated round of ballot measures when I lived there. It was disheartening and really upset me. Not that people don't agree with ME, but the divisiveness I felt and the vehemence with which they acted. I purposefully avoided businesses who made their associations with that side of the campaign known. Having said that, being on a public list of supporters that is legally required to be published isn't so "IN YOUR FACE! WAVING MY FLAG AT YOU! MAKING YOU SEE IT ON EVERY OTHER LAWN ON THE STREET! WAVING IT AT YOUR CAR WHEN YOU GO SHOPPING! HONK IF YOU SUPPORT MY OPINION!" as some of the tactics were at that time. So for this, I could go either way. If it wasn't such a long-term dentist I loved, I'd drop him in a heartbeat over it, though. My Dollar is My Vote. (ETA: And you giving him your dollars that he is giving to that campaign is...well...understandably conflicting).

s7714
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I think it just depends upon how strongly you feel about the ballot measure. I felt surrounded during the last heated round of ballot measures when I lived there. It was disheartening and really upset me. Not that people don't agree with ME, but the divisiveness I felt and the vehemence with which they acted. I purposefully avoided businesses who made their associations with that side of the campaign known. Having said that, being on a public list of supporters that is legally required to be published isn't so "IN YOUR FACE! WAVING MY FLAG AT YOU! MAKING YOU SEE IT ON EVERY OTHER LAWN ON THE STREET! WAVING IT AT YOUR CAR WHEN YOU GO SHOPPING! HONK IF YOU SUPPORT MY OPINION!" as some of the tactics were at that time. So for this, I could go either way. If it wasn't such a long-term dentist I loved, I'd drop him in a heartbeat over it, though. My Dollar is My Vote. (ETA: And you giving him your dollars that he is giving to that campaign is...well...understandably conflicting).

I agree, and he probably doesn't even realize this list exists. If he had posted a sign at his practice stating his support I would drop him out right and wouldn't hesitate in telling him why.

The my dollar is my vote thing is my main issue. I wouldn't willingly buy from or patronize a company that supported this measure (and actually won't shop at a local store because the owners do support it). I guess I'm just debating the merits of whether I should apply the same rules for my dentist.