PDA

View Full Version : throwing a party - q about tipping

lmh2402
07-07-2011, 12:06 PM
i'm throwing a party for DH in the private room of a local restaurant

it's being set up cocktail style - passed hors d'oeuvres, and a table with cheeses, dips, etc. and then later there will be two food stations.

open bar

so, we will definitely have servers and a bartender, but they will not be waiting tables for a sit down meal

my per/price head includes tax and 20% gratuity

so...question is, do i add extra tip for the servers & bartender at the end of the night?

and what about the guy who helped me coordinate the party? he is an owner of the restaurant, so i feel like it's not really necessary or appropriate. but maybe it is?...

thanks

waitingforgrace
07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I would say no additional tipping is necessary, unless you feel they really go above and beyond. When we've done something like this, the restaurant usually automatically adds 18% and we bump it up to 20%, but generally no more. I personally would not tip the owner of the restaurant separately, but I don't really know on that one, hasn't ever been an issue for us.

emily
07-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I've planned similar type parties for my office and have never tipped above what the restaurant adds for gratuity (usually 18-20%). Never tipped the party organizer either.

jenfromnj
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
I've given an additional tip a couple of times (for DH's surprise 30th birthday party a few years ago, and recently for DS's birthday) but that was only when the servers really went above and beyond to do a terrific job and I thought they deserved something extra. Otherwise, I think the automatic 20% is fine, and I don't think the owner needs to be tipped IMO.

Hope you have a great party!