PDA

View Full Version : Any gardeners have tips on squirrels?

janine
07-07-2011, 01:19 PM
We've spent alot of time on our lawn and landscaping this summer and low and behold our nemesis appears to be squirrels and chipmunks. They are digging holes everywhere and nibbling at flowers. The holes are getting ridiculous...dirt cast aside and looks like a minefield when we've been gone awhile.

Any tips? DH is getting frustrated and threatening to hunt them (jk).

niccig
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
They ate every last single apricot off our tree and we had hundreds of apricots. First year, I've ever had this problem. And they don't eat the whole apricot, chew the part that is ripe and throw the unripe part on the ground. I had to pick up bags of rotting-half eaten apricots. I was so :angry-smiley-005: I normally make apricot pies and jam, and we didn't get one single fruit off the tree.

You can search and see what your options are. For us, it's just the fruit trees, so next year we're going to try a combination of nets, and some repllents like coyote urine and there's some sticky stuff you can put on the tree etc.

I got some ideas from here, but once they've found the tree, it's too late. http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page359.html

MamaSnoo
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
shotgun?