PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about Tan Towels or bronzing moisturizers?

maydaymommy
07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Title says it all.

I bought some and I'm about to take the plunge, but I'm really nervous.

My oh my, how I miss those youthful days of artificial tanning in a tanning bed, when I didn't know how bad it was for me! Actually, we probably always knew it wasn't GOOD for us, but it sure was nice.

Anyway, got some Tan Towels, it came with some spray, too. Also got some sort of glow or bronzing moisturizer.

I have a party coming up (my own!) and I would love for my legs to be tan. As someone said on the BBB recently, tan fat looks better than white fat! My arms are much tanner than my legs already, I'm comfortable with them, but should I do them the same as my legs or is it ok to do just legs?

I'm really nervous about becoming orange and the party is 9 days away.

Tips?

TxCat
07-07-2011, 02:31 PM
First, I would try it out today to see if you like the color - you can either try it out on your legs or if you are really conservative, or just on your stomach so that way if it ends up blotchy/orange, it's in a spot that typically stays covered.

Make sure to shower/shave or wax/exfoliate first. I always exfoliate after I shave to make sure I get all the last bits of shave gel off. If you want really good color transfer, don't put any moisturizer on before putting on the self-tanner. If you are doing your legs or arms, after you have applied the self-tanner I usually go over (rub) the knees, elbows and feet with a clean paper towel to prevent those spots from taking up too much self-tanner. Make sure to wash your palms really, really well (consider using a nail bristle brush cleaner) to get all traces of tanner off of your palms, or else use latex or latex-free gloves to apply tanner.

Usually, you shouldn't shower for at least 4-6 hours. The longer it is on, the darker the color typically becomes. I usually put mine on before bedtime so I don't have to worry about possibly getting it on nice clothing, etc.

Personally, I would do all areas of your skin that will be showing significantly. If the color is not too dark, you can probably get away with just doing your legs, but if it is really dark, then I would do as much as you can stand (arms, legs, back, neck, etc.).

Personally, I've found tan towels a little tricky to use, but other people I know love them. So, if they don't work for you, you can always consider a lotion or gel instead if you still are interested in self-tanners.

maydaymommy
07-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Excellent suggestion to do a "sample" spot. Did a circle on my never- exposed belly & it looks pretty subtle.

I always exfoliate b/f I shave, if I do it at all. Never thought of doing it after. I'll definitely do it b/f the application of any tanner.

I'm too chicken to do my face and neck! Do people do those parts?

mackmama
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I would probably only do your legs if the rest of your body is already tan. Exfoliate one day before. Next day, apply a light amount of moisturizer to the tops of your feet and toes, heels, achilles area, knees and any other dry area (this will help prevent too much tanner from depositing in those areas). Then apply tanner. I like doing circular motions to ensure even coverage. Wash your hands immediately. Air dry for 5-10mins before putting on clothes. Do not shower for 4-6 hours afterward (see packaging).

Yes people do the face and neck - the whole body. I tend to avoid the face (I do my neck) because my face turns orangey with self-tanner (my body does not, or I don't notice). I just use a darker foundation and Occitane bronzing powder on my face.

HTH and GL! :)

TxCat
07-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Excellent suggestion to do a "sample" spot. Did a circle on my never- exposed belly & it looks pretty subtle.

I always exfoliate b/f I shave, if I do it at all. Never thought of doing it after. I'll definitely do it b/f the application of any tanner.

I'm too chicken to do my face and neck! Do people do those parts?

I do face and neck, but I usually use a separate self-tanner for those areas that isn't quite as strong, and that is specific for face.

Typically the trickiest areas are feet/knees. Try to use as little product as possible, and either use the pre-tan moisturizer there, or toweling off the product after you've put the tanner on, or even both.

mom2binsd
07-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Also when washing hands really rub between your fingers well. Also go "lighter on the insides of your arms/back of knees/ankles/top of feet.

I've never used a towel, I love the results I get with Loreal Sublime guick drying gel or lotion.