PDA

View Full Version : Help ds has a rash all over him

hillview
07-07-2011, 04:38 PM
DS has a red raised rash -- lots of little bumps. Looks sort of like heat rash but it is ALL OVER him. Back, tummy, feet. No fever. It itches a lot.
Thoughts??

ThreeofUs
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Take benadryl, in case it's a reaction, and call the ped asap.

mackmama
07-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh no - so sorry. I find this site very helpful re rashes. Maybe it will help? Hang in there, and keep us posted. http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/skin-care/rashes

KpbS
07-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Sounds like a reaction to something to me. New detergent? New food? Bubble bath?

hillview
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Ok I think it is heat rash? It is on his trunk, back and groin. Maybe also on his feet although it is hard to say. I noticed some bumps this am and ignored it as I figured it was heat rash. I gave him benedryl just in case. He is itchy but happily watching dino dan and seems ok -- he also ate dinner. Can heat rash be that extensive?

Also is heat rash very itchy?

mackmama
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Not sure heat rash would appear on the feet?

The link I posted says this:
Heat rash – this appears as tiny red pimples, bumps, or spots. It usually appears on the back of the neck or lower back, but can involve the entire trunk. It occurs due to a mix of sweat, heat and clothing. Treat this by cooling your baby off, airing out the area, or applying a cool washcloth.

hillview
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Here is a photo. Still very itchy

hillview
07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Here is another one. He had no sunburn although in the photo it may look that way.

mackmama
07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Does he have a fever, cough, red cheeks, or any other signs of illness?

mackmama
07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
The poor guy - that looks so uncomfortable. I'd call your pedi.

hillview
07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Does he have a fever, cough, red cheeks, or any other signs of illness?

Nothing. Totally normal temp and otherwise says he feels fine. Asked about breathing and he said fine. He is VERY itchy. Benedryl seems to not have had an effect.

KpbS
07-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Looks pretty intense for heat rash to me. I would be thinking allergic reaction. Anything unusual for lunch/snacks? When did it start?

mackmama
07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I would think probably hives or contact rash. Are the bumps coming and going at all like hives can do?

bubbaray
07-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Was he walking barefoot on the grass? My kids get rashes like that from grass sometimes -- we've never figured out if its the grass or chemicals put on the grass. It doesn't happen all the time, and is pretty random.

hillview
07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Looks pretty intense for heat rash to me. I would be thinking allergic reaction. Anything unusual for lunch/snacks? When did it start?

So I thought he had it a little this am on his chest but assumed it was heat rash. Today after camp it is a LOT worse. Nothing unusual for snacks. And he said he didn't eat anything new at camp (no special treats). It SEEMS like it should be an allergy from how it looks.
/hillary

hillview
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I would think probably hives or contact rash. Is the rash/spots coming and going at all like hives can do?

Was he walking barefoot on the grass? My kids get rashes like that from grass sometimes -- we've never figured out if its the grass or chemicals put on the grass. It doesn't happen all the time, and is pretty random.

Ok I am thinking an allergy? The itchy part seems pretty significant vs heat rash.

mackmama
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Is he itchy only on his skin or also inside in his chest area?

AnnieW625
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
That looks like a grass rash to me or an allergy to a new detergent or soap. I have really sensitive skin, and am allergic to Tide and Dial soaps (thanks to Accutane in my late teens) so I personally think that could be any one of those things. I'd take him to urgent care tomorrow or tonight if an Aveeno bath doesn't help. Hope he gers better soon.

bubbaray
07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't recall my kids being itchy with heat rash. its been a while, though.

The other thought, b/c someone else posted it earlier, was HFM. But does that present on the torso?? I also don't know if HFM is itchy or painful.

hillview
07-07-2011, 06:35 PM
He swam today -- could be they added extra chemicals to the pool? His clothes were all washed in Charlie's as usual.

mackmama
07-07-2011, 06:35 PM
The other thought, b/c someone else posted it earlier, was HFM. But does that present on the torso?? I also don't know if HFM is itchy or painful.

I believe HFM/coxsackie presents more as blisters and isn't itchy. Not sure though.

mackmama
07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Has he taken a shower or bath to remove any possible chemical or irritant?

hillview
07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Has he taken a shower or bath to remove any possible chemical or irritant?

Yes first thing about 2 hrs ago was a cool bath and benedryl. No change. I called the pedi. I so hope they don't ask us to come in. Still no temp.

mackmama
07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I hope you don't have to go in either. Maybe you could email them a pic? Hope your DS feels much better soon!

AnnieW625
07-07-2011, 07:00 PM
This could be a total long shot, but what kind of sunscreen did he put on today?

I am going to assume if he put it on at home it was vitamin A free, but if it was at camp maybe it had vitamin A in it. Ask him if he put sunscreen on at camp.

I ask this because when I was on Accutane (main ingredient is vitamin A chemical like retin A, except it had even more vit A in it) I made the mistake of sitting out in the sun when it was really hot outside with shorts on. I got red bumps all over my legs (similar to the ones your son has) and they eventually went away with lots of lotion and Aveeno baths. My dermatologist told me I had to keep my skin covered until the rash went away.

hillview
07-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Nope just CA baby lotion. Doc office just called back. He needs to go tomorrow even if rash is gone. She said any itchy rash that large needs to be seen regardless. She said any rash she knows of would be strep related but no sore throat and no fever so that is odd.

I wonder if it could be eczema from the pool chemicals?

hbridge
07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
DC also has a really aweful looking rash. It started over the weekend. We thought it was heat rash, but now the theory is that it's a reaction to the sunscreen. We were using Copperton Water Babies... NEVER AGAIN! The rash started on the shoulders and is only present where we have put sunscreen. Thankfully it never migrated to the face.

We went to the ped. yesterday and he said benedryl and a prescription cream...

hillview
07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
So turns out I forgot to pack DS's swimming suit (and shirt rash guard) so he wore his shorts as swim trunks and no top. He has no sun burn and says he cannot remember if someone put sun block on his chest. I am BETTING the camp counselors put some random sunblock on him and that is what is causing the rash. Doesn't totally explain the rash in the groin area.... but that is my newest theory.
/hillary

hillview
07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
DC also has a really aweful looking rash. It started over the weekend. We thought it was heat rash, but now the theory is that it's a reaction to the sunscreen. We were using Copperton Water Babies... NEVER AGAIN! The rash started on the shoulders and is only present where we have put sunscreen. Thankfully it never migrated to the face.

We went to the ped. yesterday and he said benedryl and a prescription cream...

What did it look like? Was it sort of like sand paper?

reneed
07-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I have had the same thing for the past month on and off. The derm gave me prescription cortisone gel which works, but it keeps coming back. He thought it was an allergy to sunscreen but it's happening without sunscreen. It's itcy and annoying and i find that my skin is really dry when it goes away. I'm sure I will eventually ind what the cause is but until then, urgh. FWIW I use unscented everything because my skin is so sensitive...

hillview
07-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I have had the same thing for the past month on and off. The derm gave me prescription cortisone gel which works, but it keeps coming back. He thought it was an allergy to sunscreen but it's happening without sunscreen. It's itcy and annoying and i find that my skin is really dry when it goes away. I'm sure I will eventually ind what the cause is but until then, urgh. FWIW I use unscented everything because my skin is so sensitive...

Ok that sounds a LOT like what DS has. It is sort of dry in some areas so I was considering eczema although he has no real history of that (sometimes in winter I think he has it).

buddyleebaby
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Both my DDs have reactions to sunscreen.

DD2 gets rashes from being in the sun, period, and they last a couple of days.

That being said, your son is the third person I have heard of in the past week to get a rash with no other symptoms. My sister has had one for over a week, it's not strep, it's not an allergy.

reneed
07-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Maybe from the pool for him? I can't swim in chlorine (I use baquacil in my backyard pool). I second using unscented everything. Down pillows and blankets are also something that can commenly cause it. I do have eczema/contact dermatitis on and off......I feel for him, this is ITCHY - i am scratching the top of my feet right now :(

ThreeofUs
07-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Benedryl seems to not have had an effect.

Hmmmm, thanks for the pictures.... Can you write down where he's been and what he's eaten over the last few days? You might need the camp folks to help you out. Might give you some idea, but this is quite the reaction to something, I'd bet.

This is whole-body, so I still say call your ped and go in (with the list, if you can).

ETA: Sorry, just saw post 26. Sounds like you have a likely culprit and I'm glad he's going to be seen.

gamma
07-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Are his cheeks very red? Is the rash lacey in appearance? It's hard to tell from the photo. From your description of it being worse after being out in the heat my first thought would be Fifth's Disease.

mackmama
07-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Have you seen the pedi yet? Hope your DS is feeling better!

hillview
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
He slept fine overnight and woke up this morning with still a raised rash and no temp. He says it itches but he isn't really itching it "does it itch?" "yes" It seems to have gotten better -- hard to see but you can feel it. I think it was an allergic reaction to something. I did not take him to the pedi and sent him to camp. :bag

mackmama
07-08-2011, 02:24 PM
It sounds like the itching may have decreased, so I'm glad he's more comfortable. Hope he is feeling better after camp. Hang in there!

Giantbear
07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
well, add my 13 month dd to the list, started as what looked like a heat rash on all areas under her diaper, using the same diaper we always used, and now it has spread to her legs and arms and belly. Nothing on her back or face. No new foods. She has had an on and off slight fever, 99-100 or normal the last week, but we figured that was her teething. we are off to the dr this afternoon.

AnnieW625
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I would continue to wash him in Aveeno bath and it will eventually go away. Make sure that he keeps the rashy area as covered as possible. Keep lots of lotion on it too. The rash in his groin area is probably heat rash though, which I believe is fairly common.