PDA

View Full Version : Guide me through pumping please!

soontobe
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
So with ds I never had to pump. I was home with him all the time (it rocked!). Nursing was hard in the begining, but got super duper easy. With this coming dc I am going back to work at around 6 wks and will need to pump. I will prob. only need to pump 3-4 bottles the whole week, but still I have no idea how to do it and what to do it with.

So you smart BBB mamas can you help guide me?

my first questions:
1. WHAT PUMP!?!?!? as I said it will prolly only have to pump 3-4 bottles MAYBE 5, but I still don't want trouble doing it

2. how do you start? I know when I'm at work then I pump those bottles instead of nursing, but how do i get those first couple bottles for the first day that I need to go back? How do I get those ones into the freezer if I am nursing dc at the same time?

THANKS, I am super nervous about this!!!!

echoesofspring
07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I work part time, and spent part of that at home and part away. So I'm not an expert at pumping at work, but I'll tell you what I've done.

For the initial stash start adding pumping session as soon as you can to your schedule. For me, the best time seems to be right after the first morning feed (and by morning I mean after 7am or so...). I feed DS and then grab my breakfast, plug in the pump and away we go. mornings are often recommended b/c it's milk supply is often more abundant in the mornings, especially if your child is sleeping longer stretches at night. It can take a while to 'figure out' pumping, the first few times I did it I got next to nothing, and by all accounts I had an oversupply of milk. I ended up getting larger flanges which made all the difference.

I would also, if you haven't already, make sure your LO is willing to take a bottle from someone. And do a test run with freezing milk and making sure teh LO will take it after it's been defrosted, testing for lipase, etc.

For the pump, I don't have a specific rec, but I personally would buy the nicest pump I could afford. You have enough on your plate as a working mom and you don't need to be dealing with a half-assed pump, IMO. I have a Hygeia, which seems to work find, but it's not a super popular brand (it's also kind of noisy, so I'm not sure it'd be the best for pumping at work, but it's the only pump I've used so I don't have anything to compare it to.).

And you might want to get a 'hands free' bustier, I love mine, I think it's by SimpleWishes, but there are others....

echoesofspring
07-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Also this might be helpful, there are links there with info about pumping/work, etc.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

Schmitty21
07-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I work FT so my pumping demands are a bit higher. I like PPs suggestion of getting the nicest pump you can afford. One less thing to stress about. I would also read the Baby Bargains book pump section; if I recall they do a good job of going over the pros and cons. I have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced, which pumps both breasts at the same time. Decide if you want a single or double - double will get you done pumping faster. I also have a handsfree pump bra - Easy Expression. Highly recommend that, it allows you some freedom, even if it's just to sip water while you pump.

I introduced the bottle to DS around 3 weeks, just to ensure he would take it (he did). So starting around 1 week I tried pumping whenever I could, an ounce here, an ounce there. That was to get to the 3-week bottle point. I kept going to have enough for that all-important first day back, also 6 weeks for me.

You'll have to read up on storage rules for milk. The rule of thumb I use is:

4 days in the fridge
4 months in the freezer
Once thawed - must use within 24 hrs

I didn't test for lipase, I guess I didn't research that beforehand and then by the time I even heard about it DS was 6 months and it was like "eh, oh well."

There's probably more to tell, just ask if you have more Qs. You can do it! :)

Momto1
07-07-2011, 07:31 PM
When DD was one week old, I added in a pumping session. Each day, after her AM nursing session, I'd plop her in the bouncy seat and pump for 15 minutes. I didn't get a lot in the beginning, maybe 0.5 oz, but after doing it the same time every day for a week or two I started to get a full feeding's worth of milk. That milk went right into the freezer, and I was able to use it for DD's first day at daycare and to start up my freezer stash. Technically, all you really need is enough milk to get you through the first day away from your LO, because on that day you'll be pumping for the following day.

Get the best pump you can buy. I used a Medela PISA and a Lansinoh Double Electric. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a Hygeia because I'm a little skeeved out by some of the things I've heard about Medela.

When you're at work, pump for every feeding you miss. You want to produce as much milk as your LO is taking in (which should only be ~1 oz per hour). Set a schedule and stick to it!

Good luck!

soontobe
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
thanks guys! i guess i'll have to start with the pumping right away. any more recomendations on which pump is best and why? or where i can find out more info?

this is a whole new world to me...

echoesofspring
07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I went with the Hygeia Enjoye for the following reasons:

- double pump
- can run on (rechargable) battery or car adapter if need be
- the way the hose mechanism is set up means it can actually be used by other people w/out there being a chance of bateria/etc. getting into the milk. So I was thinking it could be resold if/when

seems to work fine for me. Some one else wrote a scathing review on Amazon, but I haven't had any problems. But again, it's the only one I've used so I can't compare it to another one.

Oh, it also has this feature that lets you record your baby's voice. When I bought it I thought, well that's pretty unnecessary. Until the day I was having trouble pumping and for fun played a video of DS on my iphone. The milk came pouring out....

Nooknookmom
07-08-2011, 02:40 AM
I loved my Medela Symphony!!!! It was very easy to use and the "let down" phase was AWESOME. I needed a hospital grade pump and rented. My LC had me pumping after each feeding, when possible. It really helped my supply build. I'm sure there are other Medelas that would work as well, I did get spoiled with the auto 2 phase deal.

Good luck you will do just fine:)

soontobe
07-08-2011, 06:45 AM
what is everyone refering to when they talk about the let down phase? why would a timer/auto shut of be helpful?

thanks for all the encouragment! I need it:)

Momto1
07-08-2011, 11:05 AM
what is everyone refering to when they talk about the let down phase? why would a timer/auto shut of be helpful?

thanks for all the encouragment! I need it:)

When the baby is nursing, they usually suck in very short, quick bursts until the milk "lets down." Once the milk starts flowing, the baby slows down and starts using longer, slower, stronger sucks to gulp the milk down. Pumps with two settings mimic the way that the baby nurses.

My pump - the PISA - has the two settings, but when I was pumping I always just went right to the after-let-down setting because I never felt like the first setting was strong enough to get my milk to let down. So for me, having two settings was worthless, because my DD has a really strong latch/suck so my body was not used to the weaker setting, if that makes sense.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
- can run on (rechargable) battery or car adapter if need be

The Medela PISA also has a battery pack (not rechargeable; takes something like 6 AA's) and car adapter.

I've used my hands-free bustier (Simple Wishes brand) and nursing cover to pump while driving on several occasions recently as well as during a breast cancer charity weekend.

Oh, it also has this feature that lets you record your baby's voice. When I bought it I thought, well that's pretty unnecessary. Until the day I was having trouble pumping and for fun played a video of DS on my iphone. The milk came pouring out....

That's a cool feature! Alternately, you could do what I did and just play videos/slideshow photos of your baby while you pump. (I used to nap.)

FWIW, although the PISA is not a closed-system pump (Hygeia and Lansinoh are, for example) it's a sturdy thing & it did a great job during my almost-a-year of pumping.

I think it's fine for an everyday pump & haven't had problems with it. I like the letdown feature (not everyone does) and I haven't worried that the tubing would be contaminated, though I declined the offer my sister made to lend me her pump when my DD was born. Sharing pumps kind of skeeved me out and I'd received enough gift card money to cover the cost of the one I registered for as shower gifts.

I also second the suggestion of a PP upthread to get the next size up flanges regardless of which pump you decide to get; it'll help production and reduce discomfort immensely. (I actually gave a friend the next size up flanges as a shower gift because I actually had a friction injury from the standard Medela "horns" while I was in the hospital.)

If you go with the PISA, get a timer to help manage your pump time without a constant check/re-check of your watch or phone. I have a fancy yoga/meditation clock that chimes, but it was a gift from my mother. The Freestyle, OTOH, comes with a built-in timer and the ability to save "programs" for maximum milk. (If I were to replace my PISA, I'd get the Freestyle - it's also a closed system pump, so it's got resale value without voiding the warranty.)

Lastly, I also suggest multiple sets of parts so that you're not constantly washing & sterilizing the same set when you get home. I have 3 complete sets of horns, connectors & valves as well as a spare pack of membranes.

TxCat
07-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Not much else to add - you've gotten some great tips! I echo the suggestion of getting at least one more set of pump parts, if not two - you don't have to constantly clean them at work, you can just bring them all home to clean at the end of the day.

Also, because my break time for pumping was always limited, I ended up keeping my pump parts in the refrigerator either in a clean ziploc or a clean tupperware in my insulated "lunch" bag dedicated for pumping stuff (parts, bottles, etc). This was based on a recommendation by my LC at the milk bank at the huge children's hospital in town. This saved me a lot of time, and I didn't have to worry about always having an optimal spot to clean my parts at work.

The other thing I would recommend is talking to your SO about how to help with the process. For me, when I came home, my DH would take the refrigerator bag, put all the bottles in the refrigerator and wash all the parts for use for the next day, while I would spend time with DD. That helped a lot - that way I didn't feel like I was always busy with something related to pumping (you can get really sick of it day in, day out at work).

marymoo86
07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
The only thing I will add is to make sure you wear pump friendly clothing to work if that is an option. For instance you don't want to have to deal with unzipping a dress from the back when you are trying to hurry.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
The only thing I will add is to make sure you wear pump friendly clothing to work if that is an option. For instance you don't want to have to deal with unzipping a dress from the back when you are trying to hurry.

Good point!

I found that most of the dresses from Milk Nursingwear are also pumping-friendly.

Button-down shirts, cardigans/blazers & shells, etc. are great options. (I have a casual environment, so I never worried.)

logan's mom
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I went back to work full time when DS was 12 weeks old. I got the Medela Freestyle (http://www.amazon.com/Medela-67060-Freestyle-Breast-Pump/dp/B0013O9RX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310142603&sr=8-1) It was completely worth the $$$. I liked that it wasn't stuck inside a bag. I ended up pumping while driving a lot so it was nice that just the pump was on my lap, not the entire bag.

Here's my system:

I would nurse DS just before leaving the house. This was usually around 6:30 am. I had three set of pump parts and kept them in a gallon ziploc bag. I would carry a second gallon bag with me. I would pump around mid-morning. With the Freestyle, I could pump directly into DS's Dr. Brown bottles (which saved transferring and washing later.) The dirty pump parts would go into the second ziploc bag.

I would usually go see DS at daycare around 1:00 and nurse him in person. (If you can do this, I would recommend it. It was the only thing that made going back to work doable, even though it extended my day by taking an hour for lunch.)

I would pump again in the late afternoon (usually around 4pm.) Again, directly into bottles, putting dirty parts in the "dirty" ziploc bag. When DS and I got home (usually around 6ish) he would nurse for a short session....I think mostly for comfort though.

As he got older, I could usually just pump once and nurse him at lunch. You may not need to pump this much but my DS nursed/wanted a bottle every 2-3 hours for what seemed like forever.

I often had to travel around the city for my job, so sometimes it was easiest to pump on my way somewhere. The Freestyle has clips that you can clip to your nursing bra to make it hands-free without needing the hands-free bustier. It has rechargeable batteries or can be plugged into the wall. You can also get the car charger.

My milk when in a lunchbag and then in the fridge at work. Whatever I pumped was the next day's milk. Daycare always wanted an "extra" bottle so he would usually come home with a bottle. I numbered his bottles so that he would always get the oldest milk first. (The #4 bottle from Monday was relabeled as the #1 bottle for Tuesday, etc.) I usually froze Friday's milk even though technically it would have been okay in the fridge.

Like others have mentioned, it does help to have pictures/video of your baby. Usually by Friday, I was so over pumping but it helped to remind myself that I providing the best for my baby even though I couldn't be with him. Good Luck!

BayGirl2
07-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Also want to put in a plug for the Medela Freestyle for a number of reasons:
1. Rechargeable battery that can go through a few sessions w/o recharges - so you never have to plug in or worry about replacing batteries.
2. Hands free parts come with it and work with pretty much any nursing bra, so you don't need to buy special hands free bras. (This made a huge difference for me as I can work while I pump)
3. Not attached to a bag, so you can throw it into a smaller bag or suitcase if needed.

I know a lot of people love the PISA but the Freestyle is newer and the points above were huge selling points for me. So if you are going to spend the money, I'd go with the freestyle.

Schmitty21
07-10-2011, 10:11 PM
The other thing I would recommend is talking to your SO about how to help with the process. For me, when I came home, my DH would take the refrigerator bag, put all the bottles in the refrigerator and wash all the parts for use for the next day, while I would spend time with DD. That helped a lot - that way I didn't feel like I was always busy with something related to pumping (you can get really sick of it day in, day out at work).

Definitely recommend this. After some extremely frazzled/stressed days where I felt like all I was doing was pumping, toting the bag around, washing bottles, measuring, pouring, or otherwise handling milk-related products, DH and I worked out a system. It's his job to wash the day's pump parts and empty daycare bottles. I never have to worry about it anymore. The end. :)

FWIW, I have a Medela PISA that comes out of its bag. I did not like the "in-bag" version. Just pointing that out if you don't want to spring for the Freestyle, there's that option as well.

I had only 2 sets of pump parts. I bring 1 set with me during the day, but I use the Medela quick clean wipes and air-dry them on the counter of the mother's room in between pump sessions (I was the only one using the room). The other set was purely a back-up for if we had a crazy night and they didn't get cleaned the night before or whatever. You can play it by ear, perhaps don't go crazy stocking up until you've gone back to work and figure out what system will work best for you. You can always pick up spare parts later on. They sell them at lots of places, I've seen them at Target.

BayGirl2
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Definitely recommend this. After some extremely frazzled/stressed days where I felt like all I was doing was pumping, toting the bag around, washing bottles, measuring, pouring, or otherwise handling milk-related products, DH and I worked out a system. It's his job to wash the day's pump parts and empty daycare bottles. I never have to worry about it anymore. The end. :)

I had only 2 sets of pump parts. I bring 1 set with me during the day, but I use the Medela quick clean wipes and air-dry them on the counter of the mother's room in between pump sessions (I was the only one using the room). The other set was purely a back-up for if we had a crazy night and they didn't get cleaned the night before or whatever. You can play it by ear, perhaps don't go crazy stocking up until you've gone back to work and figure out what system will work best for you. You can always pick up spare parts later on. They sell them at lots of places, I've seen them at Target.

Agree with this. When you get home you'll want to nurse the baby, and having someone grab that bag and deal with its contents is a huge help. My DH learned early on that one of the best ways he could help me was by washing pump parts, bottles, and dishes. He now recommends that to his soon-to-be-dad friends as a good way to be supportive.

I ended up getting 3 sets of horns bc I had to pump 3 times a day. That way I just pumped and didn't need to clean in between. I felt like I saved a lot of work time that way. However when traveling I just brought 1 set along and used the wipes in between, then washed with soap at the end of the day. I agree, start with one set and see how that works for you. Its easy enough to buy a new set online or at BRU when you need them.

BabyDahl
07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I am going back to work Labor Day and I will have to pump for DD (she'll be 5 mos then). This thread has been sooooo helpful. Thanks everyone!! :bowdown:

AnnieW625
07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
With both kids I rented a hospital grade pump because I didn't know how long I was planning on pumping. With DD1 I didn't even want to breastfeed until I had given birth (no flames here please; not opening this can of worms) so I didn't buy one and I definitely didn't want to open one at a baby shower:bag. I used the hospital pump for three months with DD1 and it worked out okay, but I got better output from the Avent hand pump. With DD2 I used a hospital grade pump for about 2 months also, and it was okay and did it's job but then I got a Medela Pump In Style from a friend and OMG it worked so much better, plus it was free (if you are in So Cal please PM me as I no longer need it and neither does the person who gave it to me so I'd feel weird selling it). I still tried the hand pump I had from DD1 and got nothing with that.

Freezing wise I think it depends on the freezer. I had all but two bags used up by the time DD2 was 6 months old. I wasn't a big pumper and didn't pump at work so I have no insight there, however I was just happy with having a weeks worth when I went back to work with DD2. I weaned DD1 by 4 months, and DD2 by 3/1/2 months (again no flames, just the choice I made, which worked for me).