PDA

View Full Version : Is there a connection between your name & your DC's name(s)?

ourbabygirl
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
OOPS! Wrong forum.... Mods, can you please move to the Lounge? Sorry!

I've noticed that many of my friends, relatives, and acquaintances on FB name their kids something similar to their own names, and was wondering if the same is true here.
Many people I know might name their child with the same first initial that they have, or the same number of syllables as their name has, or both ending in -y/ -ie if both are females, etc. I guess the syllable-thing is true in my case (DD and I have the same #), but I didn't do that on purpose. Of course, the Duggars all have the J-name thing going on, but even Casey Anthony named her daughter Caylee (which seems like a unique spelling done to be like the mom's name).

Any sort of connection/ pattern/ initial/ syllable/ something going on with your name and the name(s) of your kid(s)?

crayonblue
07-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Not on purpose. Both my name and DD's name starts with "L" but we didn't pick her name based on my name so I voted no.

Older DD's middle name is Elise and youngest DD's middle name is Elizabeth, both which mean consecrated to God. Middle DD's middle name was a variation of her birth name (Sandra to Alesandra).

Other than that, we just picked names we liked!

elektra
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
DD and I have the same middle name.

Momto1
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Not her first name, but her middle name is my name with an extra letter in it :)

mommylamb
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm Jewish, and Jews don't name children after anyone who is still living, so no. DS is named after DH's (deceased) grandfather.

jenfromnj
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Technically DS's name is the traditional nickname for DH's name, but I've always loved the name and it just happened that I married someone with that name. We also all have first names beginning with the same letter, but that wasn't by design, either. So I guess my answer is yes, but not really on purpose!

BabyDahl
07-07-2011, 06:41 PM
DH and DD both have an unusual sound to start their name ("kah" like cottage), chosen because we liked it. Bonus: his non-native English speaking family would be able to pronounce it. So I voted other.

AnnieW625
07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes, DD2 and I have the same middle name. I actually thought about naming DD2 that name, but it's the female version of DH's name and he didn't want people thinking we named her after him.

citymama
07-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Nope, not at all!

goldenpig
07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
DS has the male version of my name (more or less). I wasn't trying to make him a goldenpig jr.--DD picked the name. I worried that it might be too similar, but so far it's been fine.

scrooks
07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
DD and I have the same middle name (which is also my moms middle name).

DS and DH also have the same middle name but DH actually goes by that name ( instead of his given first name that he dislikes) and DS goes by his given first name.

WatchingThemGrow
07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I want someone to fess up to combining both parents' names to form a new name. It seemed to be common practice in the South years ago.

DD and DS2 - no similarity, but one has my grandmother's middle name as her middle name, and another has FIL's name as his middle name. DS1's middle name is DH's given name.

larig
07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
DS's name is my last name.

ETA: DS's other two names are from my GGGgrandfather, and a family name from DH's side (FIL's middle name) that also happens to be a family name (surname) in my family. His names are all very significant.

MontrealMum
07-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Well, they're both Irish/Scottish names :) But other than that, no. My name is very female and DS' name is very male. And there aren't really opposite-sex versions of either. All of DS' names are family names though. His first is from DH's side, and his 2 middles are from mine.

My name is a diminutive of my mom's name.

KrisM
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
All the kids have middle names that are the first name of a grandparent.

DS1's middle is my FIL's first.
DD's middle is my mom's first.
DS2's middle is my dad's first.

I feel a bit bad that we don't have a fourth to give my MIL's first name to, but not enough to actually have a 4th.

mom2ethan
07-07-2011, 10:16 PM
DS, DD, and I have the same middle name. (It's also the middle name of my sister, dad, and grandfather.)

infocrazy
07-07-2011, 10:40 PM
DS1's middle is FIL name
DS2's middle is my father name
DS3's middle is DH middle
DD...well she took a REALLY long time to name. I wanted her middle name to honor my grandmothers but DH didn't like it--I don't blame him, we didn't have much to work with for Girl names. I caved for more say in the first name. I was feeling bad she didn't have a family connection to her name when my FRIEND brought up DD's name is connected to me! Which is quite coincidental, but it starts with the same letter as me and includes my middle name, I didn't realize until she was about 6 months old! Go figure.

Chag78
07-08-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm Jewish, and Jews don't name children after anyone who is still living, so no. DS is named after DH's (deceased) grandfather.

Jews of Middle Eastern and Spanish origin do name their children after the living. My son's middle name was his great grandfather's (who was still alive but unfortunately has passed away).

niccig
07-08-2011, 02:41 AM
DS's middle name is the same as DH's and FIL's. It's FIL's mother's maiden name and she died when he was 2yo..

DS's first name just happens to be MIL's maiden name. We didn't name him for that, we loved the name, and it was my suggestion to put it on the list when I saw it in a baby names book. Our girl names included my maiden name. DS was a boy, so he got DH's family names.

It's never bothered me that my family name isn't in DS's name, but it has bothered other people. We chose the names before we found out if we were having a boy or a girl...and we got a boy. I can't imagine him being called anything else. And yes, I did get brownie points from DH's grandmother as it was her married name..

kijip
07-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Our similarity is a format issue. My husband and I each have names that are longer and more formal with a shorter, common, nickname. Obvious what that is for me, for my husband he is a Joshua/Josh. We both like this- having a formal name for work and stuff and a more casual name for intimate friends and family. So we chose names like this for our kids.

Also, each son has a middle name that is the first name of one of their uncles. T for my younger brother and F for my BIL.

MoJo
07-08-2011, 06:08 AM
I want someone to fess up to combining both parents' names to form a new name. It seemed to be common practice in the South years ago.

Kinda sorta, even though we are not in or from the south.

Jelly Bean has a LOT going on with her name.

*It's similar to my middle name (which is a variation of my mom's middle name, which was a variation of her dad's middle name). That was the original goal.

*The syllables in the name not only include me, but DH, my father, my FIL, my BIL, my brother, my sister, my grandfather, my aunt

*Her nickname, which is much more common, is the first syllable of my middle name combined with DH's middle name (which happens to also be my dad's and brother's middle name and a component of my sister's name)

*In spite of all that, it's a real, seven letter name with the wonderful meaning, "God has answered." It's a name that no one in the family has ever had but that fits with the other family names in its own unique way.

*Oh, and she has my mom's first name as her middle name. I wanted to use a variation of DH's mom's first name as her middle. . . and now maybe DH does too. We're already planning on changing DD#2's middle name, so we might change hers too, except I don't think my mom would like it and unlike my DH, I'm sure she'd find out.

Ha doesn't have nearly as much going on. Her names aren't connected to mine in any way, but her name is the first syllable of my father's first name plus his middle name (which, as mentioned above, is also my DH's middle name, and my brother's middle name). My father died four years ago, so I really like this connection, and DH just loved the name.

None of this is stuff that the average person meeting the girls would ever know, but we know, and the families know, and they will know when they are older. It's been meaningful to both DH and I to have names that were somehow connected to our families, so we hope it will be meaningful to them too.

MamaSnoo
07-08-2011, 06:32 AM
DD and I have very similar names, in that the both shorten to the same nickname (much like Elise and Elizabeth could both be Liz), although our names do not start with the same letter). I do not use the common nickname, but DD does. I have a different nickname. Honestly, I never thought of the similarity until she was about 3 mos other. I went back to work and one of the ladies said "Myname and DD....both like Nickname, that's cute!"

I did not do it on purpose, but I do not mind it either. I am suprised by the number of ppl on the board who said their names were similar to DC, but not intentionally. Maybe it is a subconscious thing.

klwa
07-08-2011, 06:40 AM
DS has my maiden name as his first name. DD, while named after family members, is not named anything similar to DH or I. And DS & DD's names aren't similar in any way, either.

FooBar
07-08-2011, 06:46 AM

DD and DS2 - no similarity, but one has my grandmother's middle name as her middle name, and another has FIL's name as his middle name. DS1's middle name is DH's given name.

And DS1's first name is your maiden name.

Sent from my phiremod for Nook using Tapatalk

Pyrodjm
07-08-2011, 07:54 AM
DD1's middle name is the female version of DH's middle name (Frances/Francis). But his middle name is his grandfather's first name, he goes by Frank, though. So she was named to honor her great grandpa, since I liked the idea of honoring family with a child's middle name. DD2's name has no connection to either of ours.

mommylamb
07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Jews of Middle Eastern and Spanish origin do name their children after the living. My son's middle name was his great grandfather's (who was still alive but unfortunately has passed away).

I'm Ashkenazi. I guess I didn't realize that this differed for Sephardic Jews. You learn something new every day. :-)

lowrioh
07-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Nope. Neither one of the girls has names similar to mine or DH. DD1 is named after our grandmothers and DD2 has my mother's name has her middle name but they aren't anything like our names. Their names are English or French origin and mine is Welsh and DHs in Dutch.

ashleybama24
07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Not that I noticed...I did realize that all of our first names have 6 letters. It actually made me choose a spelling for #2's name that had 6 letters instead of 5.

kdeunc
07-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Each child has a family name as their middle name.
DS1 has my maiden name minus the final "s" which makes it a first name. It was the middle name of both my and DH's grandfathers.
DS2 has FIL's middle name as his middle name. It is also FIL's mom's maiden name.
DD has my first name as her middle name. If she had been a boy she would have had DH's first name as the middle name.

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Yes, both girls names end in a short "a" vowel sound, like mommy's name....

gatorsmom
07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Yep. Sisi's middle name is spelled Elisabeth to hide my name inside. But she's also named after my dad's
mom. And all our boys's names are from family members living and dead.

HIU8
07-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Also Jewish, but Ashkenazi decent, so my kids are named after deceased relatives. My friend, who is sephardic decent has an older brother who has the same name as his then living grandfather and so on.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm an "other."

DH and I had the darndest time picking a girl's name! (Boys' names are easy not to sound like strippers' names; girls' names, it's much more challenging.)

DD's middle name, Elaina, begins with the first 2 letters of my full first name, but the name is after MIL & MIL's deceased mother, using a variation on MIL's middle name, which I liked and really loved the way not only the sound of the name but also its meaning went with DD's first name.

DD's first name begins with the same letter as my dad's, brother's and older nephew's names. And, her nickname, when paired with my older nephew's name, becomes a pop-music couple, but we didn't think about that before she was a few months old and responding to her name.

If we have a DS, he'll be named for FIL and my dad. If not, we plan to name a DD in honor of my deceased grandfather.

FWIW, my middle name, Theresa, is the same as my mom's and there's a connection to my Dad's middle name too. I've not always appreciated the connection with my mom, but have thought it's fun more recently.

shawnandangel
07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
DD's name is my grandfather's first name + "ina"

My first name ends in "ina"

DD's middle name is my grandmother and great-grandmother's first name.

eh613c
07-08-2011, 01:49 PM
There's no pattern to our DC's names. Our firstborn has the same middle name as DH but only because it's been tradition in their family.

SkyrMommy
07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Not to me or DH, but tied closely to my dad and DD's guardians.

newg
07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
yeah....
DD1 has the same full name as me.....but goes by a different "nickname"
I sorta threw the idea out to DH when I was pregnant, thinking he wouldn't like it........but he actually loved the idea of his DD having the same "given name" as mommy.

When trying to pick DD2's name, we liked the idea of the girls having names that flowed together....so both of their full names end in -lyn.

When we found out DD2 was a girl, DH was thrilled, but I also think an itty bitty dissapointed he wasn't getting a boy to follow in the traditions of naming men in his family.......so we decided to take a female spin off of his name.

eta: Both the girls have family names for their middles names too.
I like the idea of a name having a story, a family tradition, behind it.

mom2khj
07-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I voted other because our kids all have "family" middle names, but their first names are their own.

DD1 - middle name is combination of my two grandmothers names
DD2 - my middle name (almost went with something totally new, but felt bad b/c DD1 has "family" name)
DS - middle name is one of my uncles (like a father to me)

soon2b4
07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Yes -
My middle name is my mother's younger sister's middle name.
DD1's middle name is my younger sister's middle name.
;)
DD2's name will be unique (as far as we know)

brittone2
07-08-2011, 04:25 PM
2 of the 3 have some connection to my name.

truly scrumptious
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
We deliberately steered clear of family names because there are so many identical or similar names in DH's family that we get confused sometimes about who we're referring to. Both DS and DD have names that are easy to pronounce in both our home culture's (and in the US.) They each also have a name (first and middle) from each of our cultures.

But we did end up doing the super-long Latin double-lastname thing (DH's culture but I encouraged it so they'd have my lastname in there too. ;) )

maestramommy
07-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Not in English. BUT for Laurel the 2nd character of her Taiwanese name is the same as mine. All of my sisters and my girl cousins on my dad's side have the same second character. It's actually quite rare, MIL said she had never seen it before she met me. But it has a good meaning and fits Laurel well (quick, sharp, smart:p:p). The first character is pearl and is the same as one of my cousins. No real connection there except that all the girls on her dad's size of the family have that same character.

love_a_latte
07-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I voted other.

DD and I have the same first and last initials, as do DS and DH. The reason that I voted other is that it was totally not on purpose, we didn't even put it together until all five of us got new insurance cards and I was filing them away.

DH and I made sure we mentioned the fact that we had just noticed the matching initials to DSS, and make sure that he didn't feel slighted. Thankfully he was fine with it, although he did think that it was funny that we didn't figure it out for so long.

DietCokeLover
07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
DS has DH's first name as his middle name.

JElaineB
07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes, DS has the same first initial as I do (J). My siblings and I are, in order, J, C, C, J. DH is a "C" and his older brother is a "J". So the plan was our first child would have a J name and second would have a C name...except we never had a second kid.

s7714
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
It's tradition in DH's family for the first born son to be given the father's first name as the baby's middle name. Other than that we don't have any similarities.

lablover
07-08-2011, 06:38 PM
DS's middle name is DH's first name. DD's middle name is the same as my middle name.

mnosky1
07-10-2011, 11:20 PM
We (me and my 2 DDs) all start with M but it wasn't on purpose and if I thought it out better, I wouldn't have done it - I just like the names.

crl
07-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Yes, there is a connection, but more tenuous/subtle than your examples. We all have family names for first names (for example, I am named for a grandmother). We also all have very classic names that are perennially popular.

Additionally both children have my last name (I kept my name) as their second middle name.

Catherine

lalasmama
07-11-2011, 12:13 AM
My brother and my middle names are the male/female versions of each other, and DD (who is biologically his child, and my forever foster child) was named a nickname of both his and my middle names. Basically, we're similar to Elliot (brother), Ellen (me), Ellie (DD). Future children will have middle names along the same vein as well. I don't think my parents did it on purpose, however, DD's birthmother did give DD our nickname on purpose. And I don't want Fictional-Child #4 to feel left out if his sister is Ellie, his brother is Elijah, another sister is Elinor, and he's Joe :)

fumofu
07-11-2011, 12:33 AM
We gave DS his name because I just liked the sound of it. but it turns out his name starts with the same letter as DH's name, and ends with the same letter as my name. I didn't even realize this until my mommy friend pointed it out. Must be a subconscious decision!

goldenpig
07-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Just thought of another one: someone at work just had a baby--the father's name is Nick, mother's name is Nicole, and baby is Nicholas. Talk about confusing! :)

hellokitty
07-13-2011, 08:00 AM
The only pattern about my kids' names compared to mine are that since I had such an unfashionable name, I made sure my kids had decent, "normal" names. I have a traditional amercan name, but it is an old lady/nun name and I got teased for it throughout K-12. I didn't want my kids to deal with a dorky name like mine, and I'm still sore at my parents for giving me such a bad name. They gave me a middle name that is unusable (sounds like a hooker name, this is what happens when your parents are clueless immigrants) too, so I have been unhappy about my name for most of my life.

truly scrumptious
07-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Just thought of another one: someone at work just had a baby--the father's name is Nick, mother's name is Nicole, and baby is Nicholas. Talk about confusing! :)

Reminds me of that scene in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where everyone is named Nick or Nicki!

luckytwenty
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Only because my husband loves my name and claims it's partially why he was first attracted to me!

Our oldest's name begins with the same letter as my first name. Our middle child's middle name is two letters off from mine. The baby and I both have an "ie" ending.

We're Jewish and don't believe in naming kids after living people (no "juniors," etc) so this is kind of skirting our rules.

buddyleebaby
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Yes.

My name is Alicia Anne.

DD1's middle name is Alice.
DD2's middle name is Anne.

We all have three syllable names that start with vowels but that was coincidental.

DS's name (first and middle) is the Irish version of Dh's name. (I am Irish.)

JBaxter
07-13-2011, 09:59 AM
No not me but

Ds1 has the same legal first name as his father
Ds2 middle name is my Dad's first name
Ds3 middle name is DH's first name
DS4's first name is my Grandfathers middle name and his middle name is DH's Grandfather and uncles first name and he was born on DH's uncle's birthday