PDA

View Full Version : OK stroller experts, how do I get me my MBUD?

bisous
07-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Disclaimer: I probably don't belong on this board! Y'all have impeccable taste and knowledge of strollers and I'm always a few years behind!

Example: I have an older 2007 P3 in excellent condition that I still love and will be using for my September newborn.

I WANT an MBUD for walks with my two youngest sons. I've done a lot of research and really prefer the MBUD over say, the BOB mostly because of looks and because of size!

How (aside from stalking Craigslist) do I get one? I have almost no budget but I'm willing to buy one that is old. I was so close to getting one in excellent condition a week or so ago for only $200. That is my approx. my budget. Since then, I've seen a few others in my MAJOR metropolitan area (a few HOURS drive but...)

WWYD?

poohbear
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
The problem with MBUDs is they're heavy and big to box up and expensive to ship, so CL is your best bet IMO. It may be worth a drive to get what you want.

Kaylee31
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
This one may end up going for under $200.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mountain-Buggy-Urban-Double-Stroller-/330584130145?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1185420722024786663
I have seen other old MBUDs in [seemingly] decent or good condition go for ~$200 on Ebay, even with shipping. I would stalk CL/Ebay until one pops up.

bisous
07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Thank you both!

Okay, another question. That link you posted Kaylee looks like it might be a winner! I'm hoping DH can get home before the close of the auction so he can "approve" my purchase. I can actually pick that thing up and save myself the $90 shipping!

BUUUUT, can I replace the covers by any chance? It does look at tad bit worn...

arivecchi
07-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Theoretically you can, but I am not sure where you would buy them. You can try cleaning the skins yourself. People on swap have also used dye on mbud skins.

Welcome to the MB fan club. You have great taste. ;)

bisous
07-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Aah. Thanks. I missed the auction, unfortunately. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know how to bid (where's that bag overhead smiley!)

Here's three local(ish) craigslistings. Any of them look good?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bab/2481082157.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/bab/2477275919.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bab/2476946854.html

Some are a lot closer than others.

Other question. Do I have the time to sit and wait for the "perfect" MBUD? (i.e. $200 and a color I would choose) or do I need to move now? DS3 (who will be a rider) won't even be here until Sept.

Any deals look too good to sit out?

TIA!

bisous
07-08-2011, 01:49 AM
BTW, I'm intrigued with this concept of dyeing the stroller! The "storm" MBUD is definitely available and fairly close to where I live. Could I dye it? What colors work?

Thank you VERY much for your helpful replies!

arivecchi
07-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Does the first one come with the carrycots? If so, that is an amazing deal! I know some girls on strollerswap have done dye jobs. You could post there.

I like the second one too.

The third one has liners which are nice but looks a bit faded, but that could just be the picture.

wellyes
07-08-2011, 08:30 AM
I'd get the first one pronto. Nice to have a carrycot for the new one plus the covers, that's worth the extra $50 for sure. If you don't get it, hold off.

Let me just also gently say that I think you are going stroller crazy :tongue5: I got my CL MBUD after a similar intense search. And while I like it, let me tell you, the lusting after it phase was the best part. It is a good stroller, but it's not the Holy Grail.

arivecchi
07-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Stroller crazy? She only has one stroller! That qualifies as perfectly sane in these parts. :ROTFLMAO:

Plus no one stroller is perfect. That's how I ended up with 5 at one point! :D

bisous
07-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys! The first one is closer and the seller seems like she wants to unload. I'll see if I can check it out tomorrow/today (it is EARLY here!), lol!

poohbear
07-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys! The first one is closer and the seller seems like she wants to unload. I'll see if I can check it out tomorrow/today (it is EARLY here!), lol!

Definitely my pick. You can always sell the carrycots separately and recoup a chunk of your investment. I like that color too.

Personally, I probably would be hesitant to dye, only because I would be afraid the color would transfer... I like the light grey :)

ETA - tjat ebay one didn't sell, so it's possible the seller may relist. You can try sending a message to him/her.

I still think the grey is a better bet :)

Eagletmom
07-08-2011, 09:50 AM
I think it is very difficult to dye the newer mbud models because the fabric is waterresistant. You are better off finding one that just needs a good washing, the fabrics are easy to remove and throw in the washing machine :-)

bisous
07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks, all! I'm going to set something up with the first seller!

And I do think I'm probably going a little crazy! The first stroller that I saw (about a week ago) was in such fabulous condition, so close to me and for such a great price that a part of the longing for an MBUD came back to me that had lain dormant for a few years. It is back with a passion! I hope I love it as much as I think I will!

AnnieW625
07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I would look at #2. There were no MBs for sale last spring prior having DD2 so I never got to look at one, but I would've jumped on #2 for that price had it been available.