PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Caylee's law

plusbellelavie
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
For those upset by the recent verdict hopefully we can change things for future children! I wonder why there isn't a law like this in place already!

www.change.org

Also an article in Huffington Post about the petition

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/caylees-law-petition-casey-anthony_n_892317.html

I hope the links work correctly.

nrp
07-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I couldn't read all of the links, but it looks like it makes not reporting a missing child a crime? I'm all in favor of something like that, but it strikes me that it is more of a state criminal matter, not federal. I'd totally sign a petition for a law like this in my state, but not sure I think a federal law makes sense.

ha98ed14
07-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I couldn't read all of the links, but it looks like it makes not reporting a missing child a crime? I'm all in favor of something like that, but it strikes me that it is more of a state criminal matter, not federal. I'd totally sign a petition for a law like this in my state, but not sure I think a federal law makes sense.

That's exactly what the article said! I would support it too! Whether you think she did it or not, finding out *how* Caylee died would have been a lot more possible if she wasn't a skeleton by the time they found her.

liamsmom
07-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm not in agreement with the second part of the petition where it proposes to make not reporting a child's death within one hour of discovery a felony. I would think that even a normally responsible and loving parent could go into shock or just freak out at discovering their child dead and not be composed or clear-headed enough to make a 911 call. Why further punish grieving parents? Especially if it is determined that is was an accident or SIDS?

I completely agree that if one's child is missing, it is neglectful not to report it to the authorities and that should be illegal. But the rest of it seems like more a knee-jerk reaction to particular details in the Anthony case.

mommy111
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I think this is a 'duh' situation.....who would not report a missing child???? But it wouldn't have helped Caylee, per her mom she had drowned, didn't go 'missing'
But yes, definitely, a law like this needs to be in place.
The more I see of people, the less believable they seem.

sariana
07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I think this is a 'duh' situation.....who would not report a missing child???? But it wouldn't have helped Caylee, per her mom she had drowned, didn't go 'missing'
But yes, definitely, a law like this needs to be in place.
The more I see of people, the less believable they seem.

I think the purpose is to provide a "crime" with which the person can be charged, not so much to prevent people from doing what Casey allegedly did.

People are outraged that there seemed to be no charge between "manslaughter" and "interfering with an investigation" or whatever it was. Caylee's Law would provide a felony with which to charge a person so that the public can feel that there was some justice even if a more serious crime cannot be proven.

lhafer
07-08-2011, 02:55 AM
I think the purpose is to provide a "crime" with which the person can be charged, not so much to prevent people from doing what Casey allegedly did.

People are outraged that there seemed to be no charge between "manslaughter" and "interfering with an investigation" or whatever it was. Caylee's Law would provide a felony with which to charge a person so that the public can feel that there was some justice even if a more serious crime cannot be proven.

Exactly.

I think a lot of people are of the mindset that she didn't talk to anyone, raise a stink, whatever about her child for 31 days. There's shock and denial. And then there's cover up. It doesn't matter to me if she was missing, dead, etc. Something was off. I don't know all the details of the story. But first she said her daugther was with a nanny (okay for a month?!?!) who turned out to be bogus (not the woman - but her being the nanny). Then she said that Cayleee drowned?? Her story kept changing.

Anyway, I digress. I think people were at least hoping and expecting that she would get charged with more than just 4 counts of lying to police.

And can someone tell me me HOW is NOT reporting your child missing for a month not neglect??? I just can't wrap my head around how she didn't at least get neglect charges.

hwin708
07-08-2011, 04:50 AM
And can someone tell me me HOW is NOT reporting your child missing for a month not neglect??? I just can't wrap my head around how she didn't at least get neglect charges.
Well, isn't the position of both sides, defense and prosecution, that the child was NOT missing for a month? She was never missing at all.
Her ultimate story in the courtroom was the accidental drowning, which they then covered up. And the prosecution's story was that she killed her daughter and covered it up. Either way, Caylee was already dead, not being neglected.