PDA

View Full Version : Duplo, knockoffs, hmm?

Pear
07-08-2011, 10:23 AM
DD is 28 months and we have some of the large megablocks. I think she is ready for a toy with better building capabilities. Should I spring for Duplo or look for a knockoff? Can anyone recommend a good starter set? We don't have a Lego store so I am limited to what I can get at a toy store, big box store, or online.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-08-2011, 10:31 AM
i would spring for Duplo..if they're too, $$$ i would just look for them on craigslist.

Pear
07-08-2011, 02:06 PM
I was thinking Duplo. My hesitation was because I bought some for my nephew a few years back and my sister thought it was wasteful to have gotten name brand.

nrp
07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I've seen a few of the knock-offs, but never owned them. The Duplo are definitely superior quality, they lock together better, and will be a far less frustrating experience for your DD.

vonfirmath
07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I was thinking Duplo. My hesitation was because I bought some for my nephew a few years back and my sister thought it was wasteful to have gotten name brand.

It was your money, not hers. *shakes head*

AnnieW625
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Duplos are great. DD2 (14 mos.) though is really loving the Mega Bloks. I think I have seen some Mega Bloks sets though that are more than just blocks. My DD1 really started liking her Duplos between 2 and 2/1/2. DD2 does like the little Duplo people.

As much as I prefer the Fisher Price Little People from the 60s-90s DD2 got the Fisher Price Noah's Ark set for her birthday and she loves it and really the people are the perfect size for a <than 3 yr. old. The LP have made it into her Mega Bloks and she likes looking for them.

new_mommy25
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Go with Duplos. They are far superior to Mega Bloks. We have a huge bin of duplos and my kids still play with them all the time. They are incredibly well made. The problem with Megabloks is they just don't stick together as well. Trying to build something and having it continually fall apart is extremely frustrating. We have owned Megabloks of all sizes and I have come to realize they just aren't worth it. The little tiny ones are the worst. DS got a couple of the Halo sets and they made me want to pull my hair out and take up drinking.