PDA

View Full Version : How do you nicely tell someone they aren't getting the job?

hillview
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Any tips on how to nicely tell someone who works for you and who is applying for a manager role that they are not getting it?

TIA

Jo..
07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank the candidate for submitting his application,

Tell the person what you believe her strengths are for the position, but inform her that you have decided to hire someone with qualifications and skills (http://www.ehow.com/how_6612369_turn-someone-down-job.html#) that better meet the needs of the company at this time.

Wish the candidate luck in the future, and thank her again for submitting her application

sste
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Are you telling them officially or unofficially?

Unofficially I would say something like I have enjoyed working with you and I admire your work. I wanted to give you a heads up so this doesn't come as a surprise. X other person was hired. Management thought their experience/x skills/whatever fit exactly what they needed for this position.

Officially, I would say the same thing as above but minus the heads-up line and maybe with a tag line about how competition is fierce for these things and *if it is true* that the person should keep on applying for things as they come up.