PDA

View Full Version : How much do you shop/order online

HIU8
07-08-2011, 12:19 PM
compared to shopping at B&M stores?

I'm just reflecting on how much I've changed how I get things for myself and my family. I used to shop exclusively at B&M stores. The area I live in has pretty much every kind of store you could want/need within a decent driving distance (under 20 minutes). HOWEVER, just since the beginning of June I have ordered 2x from Lands End, 1x from Old Navy and 1x from Mabel's Labels. I also have a gift card for shoebuy.com that I will be using. Oh, and I'm ordering a new mirror and over the toilet cabinet for my bathroom all online. I'm finding it easier and easier to just type and click than to run around on the weekends to go out to all sorts of different stores for what we need. I still go grocery shopping and out to get little things, but I'm mostly pre-planning my purchases, searching online and receiving things at my doorstep.

TxCat
07-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Except for grocery shopping - that's at B&M; everything else, probably 95% online, maybe more. I just dread going to the mall at this point, or any other B&M stores - it seems like such a hassle. Even for clothes or shoes... all too often the store doesn't have my size or the right color, etc., and they have to order it for me anyways. I could have just stayed home and done that myself.

HIU8
07-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Oh, I forgot. I do go to a special B&M store to buy my kids shoes (not SR at the mall, but a ma and pa owned kids shoe store--we have known the owners since I was born). I have never had success buying shoes online.

mommylamb
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I do the vast majority of my shopping online. It's just so much easier. I do return things to B&M stores if that option is available and I would otherwise have to pay return shipping. I love stores that offer FS/FR!

hillview
07-08-2011, 12:27 PM
most online for kids, amazon S&S, dog stuff, some for me and DH (we do most of our clothes shopping in B&M stores).
/hillary

mackmama
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Way too often. :) I do almost all of our shopping online, as I don't really enjoy shopping at B+M stores.

wencit
07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't buy too much online. I still buy clothes from B&M stores because I hate paying for shipping. Sometimes there's a free shipping code floating around, but many times you have to purchase a minimum amount, which I frequently don't meet anyway. Plus, I hate the thought of paying for return shipping if something doesn't fit. I think I purchased shoes at Zappos or Endless a couple of times, only because they offer free shipping and free returns. The majority of my online shopping is done at Amazon, which is usually "non essential household goods," like books or board games or toys or gifts for other people.

DietCokeLover
07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I live an hour from any stores, so I do ALOT online. Even if I pay shipping, it's usually comparable to how much I would spend in gas driving to the store.

egoldber
07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I do a lot of shopping on-line, but I still do go to B&M stores. Mainly for things like shoes. Except for stuff like books and household things I know I want (Amazon), I do tend to buy at places where I can return to a B&M store AND that has a generous return policy: LE, LLBean, Nordstrom, REI.

Cuckoomamma
07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
ditto to Beth. Almost 99% except for groceries (that's about a quarter online) online.

SkyrMommy
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
I think DH and I are probably split 50/50 between actual brick and mortar stores and online. Most everyday things and groceries are at a store as is some of our clothing, but more and more of our clothing, gifts and more unique household items are online purchases.

mom2khj
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
We have just about everything we need within a 20 minute drive. However, I work full-time and time for me is precious. I buy probably 99% of the stuff we need online. I do a big household good shopping trip once a month and DH goes to the grocery store once a week.

Unless it is something I'm really itching to get and I can't wait for shipping, I buy online!

lizzywednesday
07-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I shop online almost exclusively for everything except groceries.

I save on sales tax on most things, get discounts for others and spend enough to get free shipping on still others. I'm also crazy-particular about a lot of things and, if I can't get them in a brick & mortar store, I figure out which online source gives me the best deal, customer service or both.

If I had to drive around to get all of the specific things I wanted, I'd probably spend more on gas than I do on non-free shipping!

AnnieW625
07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I prefer to B&M shop because I like to see things in person and try them on first. I like to support the mom n pop shoe store(s) near me too because that's how I got my shoes when I was little. I loved going in and getting my feet sized. I have done Endless for shoes in a pinch, and don't have an issue returning what I don't end up using, but really my heart is still with the local shops. I have actually found that they keep things cheaper than online. I will also buy from Pedipeds.com when they have their Make A Wish sale.

One thing I don't like about shopping at stores like Gymboree, Crazy 8, and Janie & Jack is that they don't have dressing rooms so for those lines I usually just order online, and their warehouse is near my old home town in Nor Cal so I like to support that area. Thankfully both my girls have been able to wear their clothes pretty much based on their current age so I have had to do minimal returns.

I do buy a lot of my girls Hanna Andersson stuff on Ebay but for new and EOS I do really prefer going into the store to see things in person and they have dressing rooms! I have gotten some good deals though online for the EOS in 2008 and 2009 (not so much in 2010 or current). I also do call into the Hanna outlet stores though.

For Amazon I'll look for niche items like DH's shaver heads, but really the only mainstay items I get from them are diapers and wipes. Occaisionally I'll buy a gift, but for the most part I do prefer to do that in person too.

SpaceGal
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd say 75% off it is online. I do go to the stores when I see a crazy good deal...like the Gap Kids sales or what not. Otherwise I order most clothes and things for the house online. I don't shop that much at the stores. I even order my cereal from Amazon when they have good deals. I just don't like to pay for shipping...so I usually watch where I shop.

BabyBearsMom
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Um, way more than I should :ROTFLMAO:

I do the vast majority of my shopping on line. Who has time to go to the mall anymore?

weech
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I buy almost everything online - groceries, personal care products, clothes/shoes for me and DS, baby stuff, everything travel-related, dog medicine, gifts, greeting cards, household items, etc.

The things I never buy online are dog food (can't find it cheap enough) and paper goods in bulk (I buy from Costco B&M).

On any given day, there's anywhere between 1 and 4 packages on my doorstep. I just don't have time to go to B&M stores, hope they have what I want, stand in line, etc. This way I can purchase things while I'm on the go (on my phone) or while I'm at work and spend more time with DS and DH.

Babymakes3
07-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Other than the grocery store and Sam's Club which is once a month I buy 95% of everything else online. I would say the last 5% is spent browsing Target, Tjmaxx and Marshalls. Those are really the only stores I like to wander through anymore. I like being able to sit down at my computer during naptime and shop, when i'm ready to order I try to hunt down coupon codes and cashback. I think the access to codes and the cashback is the icing on the cake, add in not dragging an almost 3 yr old around while browsing and trying on and it's a done deal for me!

essnce629
07-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I do most of my shopping online, except for groceries. I do buy speciality grocery items online though-- tea, coconut oil, coffee syrups, xylitol, tetra pak and glass tomato products. I still go to Target and Costco at least once a month though for a few items. I've been buying organizing products at the Container Store a lot too and usually order online and then pick up at the store so I don't have to pay shipping (the store is right next to DBF's work so we'll meet him for lunch at the same time). I buy pretty much all of our clothes online (except for pj's I get at Costco) since every time I go into the store they don't have the right size for the kids and shopping for myself with a toddler in toe is a nightmare!!!! Shoes I buy online too on Zappos usually. I get our laundry detergent, dish soap, and dishwasher detergent on Amazon using subscribe and save since it's cheaper. I still buy toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, and DBF's face wash and shampoo at Target though. I buy my and the kids hair products on Amazon. I buy all our vitamins and supplements online as well. I buy all gifts online as long as I have at least 2 days notice! I did have to buy a gift at Target two days ago though for a playgroup birthday party that I had forgot about. I LOVE shopping online-- especially with the free shipping, coupon codes, and cashback!

sste
07-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I do almost all of my shopping online or at costco. Patio furniture, mattresses, a beautiful glider, strollers, all come sailing through our front door via ups ground. Occasionally I get something at target that I can't find elsewhere but I bear some animosity toward target over their return policy. I hardly every buy clothes for myself but when I do I also try to go to a specialized b&m boutique where the salespeople can help (alot).

WatchingThemGrow
07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
probably 75% online for new stuff -
craigslist for some that I go pick up in person
groceries - 50% online - pick up in person
shoes - 90% online with f/s & f/r

furniture B&M
stuff we may return B&M - like small appliances we are trying out

With the hassle of getting 3 DC in/out of carseats/strollers, shopping in a B&M store is a total PITB. I can't even tell you how much more I can accomplish shopping online rather than trying to take a 2, 3, and 5 yo into a store. Talk about poking your eyeballs out.