PDA

View Full Version : good xbox/kinect games for a turning 6 year old?

hillview
07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
We have kinect and have several games (kinect sports; kinect dance central; kinecanimals) are there other games you would suggest for either kinex or xbox? DS loves Wii Mario brothers and king kong .... No wii for our house.
thanks!
/hillary

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I can't speak to xbox or kinect specifically, but if they make the same games for those systems as for the Wii, I can tell you that the biggest hits here are Wii Ski, Mario Winter Olympics, and Just Dance.

BillK
07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
We have kinect and have several games (kinect sports; kinect dance central; kinecanimals) are there other games you would suggest for either kinex or xbox? DS loves Wii Mario brothers and king kong .... No wii for our house.
thanks!
/hillary

We really just have Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures & Kinectimals demo at this point (my wife uses Your Shape Fitness Evolved a lot and likes it). I've looked around and other than maybe a Dance game like Dance Central - I can't really see anything the little ones would dig until Star Wars comes out later this year.

Tried the Joyride demo and Sonic demo and they both sucked IMO. Fantastic Pets might be ok - but we need games both our boys can do at the same time - and waiting is hard for them at 4 & 6.

Tondi G
07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
My 6 year old likes Kinect adventures. we haven't played it but the new Wipeout game might be fun.

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Is Dance Central on a mat? We have tried the Wii games that require a mat and they suck. We prefer the games that don't require a mat. I'm not super familiar with gaming, though.

OT, Bill (or Tami), can you describe a bit more about the features of the fitness game Tami likes? I am looking for one for me for the Wii. TIA

BillK
07-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Is Dance Central on a mat? We have tried the Wii games that require a mat and they suck. We prefer the games that don't require a mat. I'm not super familiar with gaming, though.

OT, Bill (or Tami), can you describe a bit more about the features of the fitness game Tami likes? I am looking for one for me for the Wii. TIA

The Xbox Kinect is totally different than the Wii and it's Wii Fit Balance board. There is no controller at all with the Xbox Kinect - it's a camera that tracks your motion to coach on correct form etc.

We have a PS3, Wii and Wii Fit and Xbox 360 with Kinect. There's no contest - the Xbox 360/Kinect combo wipes the floor with the other systems when it comes to interactive stuff. The PS3 and Wii aren't even close.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved isn't on Wii - so there's really no way for me to compare it with the Wii Fit. :(

BarbieSmith
07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
I did the research, and until 2 new games come out at the end of the year, the 3 you have are the best for grade schoolers. I was hoping for more games for my girls (5 and 6) too :)

Melaine
07-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking about the other pet game for the girls maybe for Christmas....the reviews looked good!

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Pets-Xbox-360/dp/B004FEJ8ZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310329854&sr=8-2

bubbaray
07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
We have a PS3, Wii and Wii Fit and Xbox 360 with Kinect. There's no contest - the Xbox 360/Kinect combo wipes the floor with the other systems when it comes to interactive stuff. The PS3 and Wii aren't even close.

So, why all three systems? Just because? Like I said, neither of us are gamers at all, so we are mystified by this. My next door neighbor has all three and looked at us like we had 2 heads when we said we (previously) had no gaming system.

We never use the balance board, it kinda sucks. We do like Just Dance game, using just the controllers. I like how the Xbox doesn't require controllers. Are there as many little kids games? When we were looking last Christmas, it seemed that the xbox stuff was for older kids.

BillK
07-10-2011, 07:34 PM
So, why all three systems? Just because? Like I said, neither of us are gamers at all, so we are mystified by this. My next door neighbor has all three and looked at us like we had 2 heads when we said we (previously) had no gaming system.

We never use the balance board, it kinda sucks. We do like Just Dance game, using just the controllers. I like how the Xbox doesn't require controllers. Are there as many little kids games? When we were looking last Christmas, it seemed that the xbox stuff was for older kids.

There are some kids games but not like for the wii. I'm a gamer so for me the xbox360 is my preferred system. The games tend to be geared toward older kids and adults plus the controllers are harder to use for little ones. There are some kids games though but no mario stuff. The ps3 it's really just a glorified bluray player in my case and the wii has some good kids games but the graphics are so bad compared to the other systems I can't bring myself to play it even though the boys don't care.

If I had to have just one system even with little ones it would be the xbox 360 with a kinect.