View Full Version : s/o how much do you write by hand

hillview
07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I do virtually NO writing by hand. In the last week I've:
taken notes once on paper (too lazy to fire up laptop) once
written a check
signed permission forms
left a note for the cleaning lady

That is it. Everything else is via typing!
/hillary

egoldber
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Very little, mainly just forms and checks.

I guess I do take notes at meetings.

I do write things down when I am trying to figure some things out at work.

The occasional thank you note.

AnnieW625
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
I write thank you notes by hand
I still write checks
permissions slips
school forms
I use a paper calendar at work, and keep a small one in my purse
I still write out a shopping list (when I use one)

HIU8
07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Almost nothing.

Grocery list
permission slips
notes on dry erase board at preschool (if I have to tell them something)
paper calendar, but I'm getting BAD at keeping it up to date

eh613c
07-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I write thank you notes by hand
I still write checks
permissions slips
school forms
I use a paper calendar at work, and keep a small one in my purse
I still write out a shopping list (when I use one)

:yeahthat:

I don't know what it is but I like to write certain things out with pen and paper than the computer.

happymom
07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
As a preschool teacher, I write notes to parents all the time by hand. I also an constantly writing kids names on projects etc. At home, I write lists all the time by hand. And recipes too, whenever that happens to come up.

Ceepa
07-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Other than posting online and replying to those who e-mail me I do little writing electronically. Lists, notes, correspondence, appointments are handwritten. Even if I have to write something lengthy I prefer to draft it on paper. I like the feel of a pen or pencil in my hand.

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Hours and hours in hearings.

Meatball Mommie
07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Other than posting online and replying to those who e-mail me I do little writing electronically. Lists, notes, correspondence, appointments are handwritten. Even if I have to write something lengthy I prefer to draft it on paper. I like the feel of a pen or pencil in my hand.

Me too.

I do pay bills electronically so little check writing, but all "to do" lists, shopping lists, thank you notes, reminder notes (like sticky notes around my desk or in the office) are handwritten. I also keep several paper calendars (one in my purse, a big desk calendar and a hanging calendar in the kitchen) along with Google calendar. I just need to see some things written out and a calendar is a big one for me. I can't be 100% electronic with a calendar - I've tried in the past and it just doesn't work for me. I like to handwrite recipes that I see online (or from cookbooks I borrow) - I like to use my own shorthand for measurements and I don't write out all the steps (like preheating the oven or which pan to use, if I don't write an oven temp, I know its 350 F). I am also the type of student who re-copied her notes before an exam as a study method ;)

With that said, I pride myself on my nice handwriting - it's not cursive though! - I get lots of compliments on how neat/nice looking it is. I actually used to have more "quirky" handwriting, but I had to go back to more common letter formation since my kids started reading. Now I'm writing cursive to help my oldest learn to read it. I don't love my cursive but it's still neat. It just looks like the handwriting books - kind of too big for an adult though ;)

BabbyO
07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I guess I do a fair amount of writing by hand. After sitting in front of a computer all day...the last thing I want to do is fire up the computer at night.

I handwrite:
-grocery lists
-to do lists for DH & myself around the house
-Hand calculations w/notes at work pretty regularly (sometimes this really helps me think more clearly)
-weekly to daily updates on DS to the sitter. We have a notebook that travels between the 2 houses since we often can't communicate everything during dropoff/pickup. This is where I write the most
-Thank you cards (I have a pile waiting for me for DS' birthday gifts)

Gena
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
I write lots of things by hand. I can think and write faster and more easily than I think and type. And typing stuff is often a pain because you need a device and I don't always have one, but I do almost always have paper and pen with me.

After spending too much time and aggravation trying to manage my calendar on the computer, I gave up and got one a desk blotter style one I can scribble all over, keep notes on, etc. I'm much happier.

We use white boards, cue cards, and other visual aides to communicate with DS, these are mostly handwritten.

I handwrite stories and poems. I cannot imaging trying to compose creative writing while typing, but I can compose non-fiction at the computer.

new_mommy25
07-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I write lots by hand. For instance, I went back to college recently and I take all my notes by hand rather than laptop. I have found that it helps me to retain the information better.

I write checks for rent, kids lessons, etc. Most other bills are paid online or have set dates to be withdrawn from checking.

I write thank you cards to relatives, and make my children do the same.

I still keep a paper calendar and I enter things into my phone. I like the paper calendar better because it's in an area that DH and I visually look at daily and it helps keep us both in line.

maestramommy
07-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Only when I have to. I have some problems with my RH wrist, and if I write too long my fingers go dead. So I only write directions, shopping lists, greeting cards, and my annual letter to Dh.

essnce629
07-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I pretty much only write out:

- grocery lists
- checks to repair people
- things to do on my white board
- I have a paper Moms calendar in the kitchen that I write down all activities/appointments
- school forms/permission slips
- directions since our GPS was stollen and we haven't gotten a new one yet and I don't like printing directions when they're super simple

Globetrotter
07-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Just things like permission slips and checks, plus notes at meetings or sometimes rough drafts. None of these require good handwriting. Last year I tried to handwrite a long letter, and i was appalled at all the mistakes i made! My handwriting used to be really good at times, but now it is terrible unless I really focus, which makes me wonder what will happen in the next generations (I'm old and had written for years before I got a computer - heck, when I was a kid we used ink pens, but that was also due to where I attended school :tongue5:).

ETA: I also write thank you notes, but then I have to focus on making them look presentable.

niccig
07-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Several hours a week in lectures. I can type very fast, but find the computer distracting. All our lectures were powerpoint, but one week the projector wasn't working and the lecture went old school with whiteboard - best lecture ever. It was easier to listen to what he said and write it down over madly trying to write done the information on the powerpoint slide and listen.

ellies mom
07-10-2011, 02:29 AM
I sign my name, fill out forms and write the very occasional check. And not much more. When I volunteer at the free clinic, I do write my chart entries by hand but they are typically very brief.

My husband and I have synced shopping list apps and calenders. And my to-do list is also on my iPhone.

When I'm in school, I do take notes by hand. Commenting on something Niccig mentioned, I'm a firm believer that if a teacher uses powerpoint for their lectures, they need to provide a way for the student to print them out ahead of time. They tend to cram so much crap on each slide and then talk about completely different stuff. It is near impossible to keep up. At least with the print out you know you've got the info from the slides and you just have to keep up with what they say.

niccig
07-10-2011, 02:50 AM
When I'm in school, I do take notes by hand. Commenting on something Niccig mentioned, I'm a firm believer that if a teacher uses powerpoint for their lectures, they need to provide a way for the student to print them out ahead of time. They tend to cram so much crap on each slide and then talk about completely different stuff. It is near impossible to keep up. At least with the print out you know you've got the info from the slides and you just have to keep up with what they say.

Some professors will not give out a copy as students then don't go to the lecture. I've found that the professors will talk about what's on the slide, but the slide information is 50+ words and the lecturer can sum it up in less. Or the organization of the information is quite poor, and I'm constantly looking up to see where I am so I can write the next point.

ellies mom
07-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Some professors will not give out a copy as students then don't go to the lecture. I've found that the professors will talk about what's on the slide, but the slide information is 50+ words and the lecturer can sum it up in less. Or the organization of the information is quite poor, and I'm constantly looking up to see where I am so I can write the next point.

I've had instructors go either way. My A&P instructor started out the series not giving us the link to the slides but eventually did because he realized how much we were struggling to keep up. But he had info on the powerpoint slides, stuff he was drawing on the board and what he was saying all at the same time. It was pretty crazy. My microbiology instructor never got the lecture notes posted in time and she was the worst at cramming a ton of info on each slide and then talking about stuff that wasn't on the slides. I knew that she would eventually post the slides so I just took notes on what she said.

I just hate it when they aren't aware of how much information they are presenting at one time. Powerpoint is great but if they don't think about it they can overload the students. So either they need to give the notes ahead of time or they need to pace the lecture the way they did when they were writing and talking at the same time.

mom2binsd
07-10-2011, 11:16 AM
I work in healthcare and currently we still write our daily progress notes by hand, evaluations etc...so I do lots and lots of handwritten writing.

mackmama
07-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Very little (thank you notes, to-do lists), and I've noticed my handwriting has suffered from lack of use. I used to get compliments on my handwriting, and now it looks like chicken scratch!

Melanie
07-10-2011, 01:11 PM
That's a funny question. Let's see, lists (grocery, to do, packing) and forms for school. ;)

Occasionally I go to a school meeting so I hand write notes for myself there. Perhaps a Thank you note or birthday card here and there.