PDA

View Full Version : “American” gifts to bring to kids oversees?

janeybwild
07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
We’ll be visiting England and seeing relatives/friends with kids ages 6 mo-5 years. I need to bring some small gifts for these kids but am drawing a blank. Ideas? Nothing too heavy or bulky, cost <$10-15 each. TIA.

citymama
07-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Books.

I was amazed to visit relatives in the UK with babies and toddlers that had never heard of Eric Carle or Margaret Wise Brown. Pick some classic American books/authors like those two, Robert McCloskey (Make Way for Ducklings) for the littler ones, and books like "MY Father's Dragon" or "Frances the Badger" for the older ones, and you should be set. If you buy paperbacks they won't add a lot of weight.

janeybwild
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Great idea! Perhaps candy and a book?

Green_Tea
07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
LOVE the book idea! And I think American candy would be a big hit!

citymama
07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
My little cousins in the UK loved Jelly Bellies!

ljackson
07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Books. I was amazed to visit relatives in the UK with babies and toddlers that had never heard of Eric Carle or Margaret Wise Brown.

I am British and I would just say to avoid taking The Very Hungry Caterpillar as that is popular there. I had never heard of any other Eric Carle books before I moved to the US though, so those should be a safe bet. The same goes for Margaret Wise Brown. If you need to know whether a specific book is known in Britain you could always look on at Amazon there http://www.amazon.co.uk/ref=gno_logo to see if it is sold or popular.

BeachBum
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
My 5 yr old loves games....something like Uno? or Rat a tat Cat? or Set? My 5 yr old and my 2.5 yr olds love the small hex bug nanos. they build trails and stuff with their blocks.

hollybloom24
07-08-2011, 06:51 PM
How about things from the American flag collection that Life Is Good sells? They have caps and t-shirts.

LL Bean tote bags? Not sure how much they cost.

Wiki-Stiks, Smencils...

LMPC
07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I have brought candy and tshirts (baseball or football....American teams) to my nieces and nephews and they have always been a big hit!