PDA

View Full Version : Camping question - what size tent do I need?

mikeys_mom
07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
We are planning to take the 4 kids camping for the first time this summer. What size tent would you get for 4 adults and 2 kids? I initially thought an 8 or 10 person tent would be fine but there is now a 13 person 4 room tent on sale at 50% off at a local store. Is that overkill in terms of size or will we be happy with the extra space?

Here is the tent;

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents/PRD~0765065P/Broadstone%252BBeaumont%252B13-Person%252BCabin%252BTent%25252C%252B21%252Bx%252B 17%252527.jsp?locale=en

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
The general rule of thumb with tents is to take the stated capacity and divide by 2. So, that tent would be great for 6-7 people.

GL!

mikeys_mom
07-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Great, thanks!
Now I've got to head out to Canadian Tire later and hopefully they still have some.

o_mom
07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I would honestly consider two smaller tents. The large tents are a pain to set up and use, a pain to clean and store, need a larger clear area to set up, etc. Two smaller tents can be much easier to use, IMO. We have a small 4 person, 10x8 tent from pre-kids and a larger, two room tent that is more like 14x10. We usually sleep 2 in the smaller and 3 in the larger. When the kids are old enough to be alone in a tent, then DH and I can stay in one, and the kids in the other. ETA: Yeah, if you do want just one tent, go 12 person or larger for your family.

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Great, thanks!
Now I've got to head out to Canadian Tire later and hopefully they still have some.

You can put your postal code into their store finder and it will let you know if your store has stock. You can call and have them put it on hold.

I understand omom's thoughts about separate tents. Your kids are young, though. *I* wouldn't have my kids in their own tent. Plus, they would freak out.

mikeys_mom
07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I would honestly consider two smaller tents. The large tents are a pain to set up and use, a pain to clean and store, need a larger clear area to set up, etc. Two smaller tents can be much easier to use, IMO. We have a small 4 person, 10x8 tent from pre-kids and a larger, two room tent that is more like 14x10. We usually sleep 2 in the smaller and 3 in the larger. When the kids are old enough to be alone in a tent, then DH and I can stay in one, and the kids in the other. ETA: Yeah, if you do want just one tent, go 12 person or larger for your family.

DH and I have been back and forth debating the one vs 2 tents. When I camped with my family my parents always had 2 tents and the kids were in their own tent. I think that if we actually continue camping, we might end up with 2 tents later on but for now, when the kids are so young, the logistics of splitting up into 2 tents will be difficult.

o_mom
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
You can put your postal code into their store finder and it will let you know if your store has stock. You can call and have them put it on hold.

I understand omom's thoughts about separate tents. Your kids are young, though. *I* wouldn't have my kids in their own tent. Plus, they would freak out.

Even as young ones, we did the separate tents, just with one adult and 1 or two kids in each tent. We still do this and will for the foreseeable future. If there were just two adults/two kids, an 8 person tent is still manageable, it's the 10-15 person tents you need for a family of 5-6 that get really unwieldy and it can be hard to find enough level space without rock/roots/trees to put up a tent that size.

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Even as young ones, we did the separate tents, just with one adult and 1 or two kids in each tent. We still do this and will for the foreseeable future. If there were just two adults/two kids, an 8 person tent is still manageable, it's the 10-15 person tents you need for a family of 5-6 that get really unwieldy and it can be hard to find enough level space without rock/roots/trees to put up a tent that size.

:hysterical: Surely you jest. That would me *I* would be in a tent. I don't do tents. If I must camp, I RV. Tent, sment.

In all seriousness, though, yes. I do get your points. I can definitely think of many campsites here in BC where that particular tent wouldn't fit on the site. I can't speak to that particular tent, but we've seen large tents that are easy to put up.

o_mom
07-08-2011, 03:17 PM
:hysterical: Surely you jest. That would me *I* would be in a tent. I don't do tents. If I must camp, I RV. Tent, sment.

I believe it is spelled "schment". ;)

Yeah - I can believe some are easy, but after the last cub scout campout - I can tell you there are many that are not (many cub scouts learned many new words.... and the Weblos had to go around helping with tents, lol).

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I believe it is spelled "schment". ;)

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

KpbS
07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I love having our larger tent. I got it for a song and it is one of those that has an little room off to the side. It has really been great for camping with little ones--our pack and play fits with plenty of room to spare. I am one of those people who loves to have my bags in the tent and our air mattress fits inside nicely with all of the above too.