PDA

View Full Version : Name change question

siri
07-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I want to change my last name back to my maiden name since I am divorced. Form a quick google search it looks like I need a paper from a judge saying that it is ok for me to go back to my maiden name.

Does anyone know if there is a form I can submit myself to the courts or do I have to hire a lawyer to do it for me. My divorce lawyer was excellent, but is also very, very expensive. I really don't want to spend a lot more money on something that seems pretty straight forward.

My divorce went through in Philadelphia county if that helps.

Thanks!

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 04:44 PM
There should be a form you can use. Call the courthouse directly, they are very helpful (usually).

Friday afternoon might not be the time to call, though....

georgiegirl
07-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Google name changes in your state. There's probably a form/petition you need to submit and pay a fee. I changed my name in the winter (I hyphenated it when I got married and decided to just use Dh's last name and change my middle name to my maiden name.). I just googled all of the info for my state.

Staraglimmer
07-08-2011, 11:22 PM
You can do it yourself. My husband is an attorney. I have found that if you do some leg work and are fairly intelligent, you can do most things yourself :).

Some cities list name changes in the newspaper.

When i helped a friend do it it was just a lot of standing in line, filing out forms etc. You might need a copy of your divorce decree, birth certificate etc.

Sent from my iPhone
Steph