PDA

View Full Version : MBUD left out on the street

mom3boys
07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I just drove past a MBUD left out on the street as garbage. So I admit I stopped to check it out-navy, fabric was definitely faded and could use a good cleaning, and the wire for the canopy was sticking out. Um, I feel like I should go get it. I would never normally pick up anything with fabric off of the street (bedbugs, etc)+ I don't know if the canopy can be salvaged but hey, free MBUD! It's either me or a homeless guy. I think I have a problem.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I just drove past a MBUD left out on the street as garbage. So I admit I stopped to check it out-navy, fabric was definitely faded and could use a good cleaning, and the wire for the canopy was sticking out. Um, I feel like I should go get it. I would never normally pick up anything with fabric off of the street (bedbugs, etc)+ I don't know if the canopy can be salvaged but hey, free MBUD! It's either me or a homeless guy. I think I have a problem.

um, are you kidding? i would TOTALLY want to grab it!!! :p i don't know much about MBs, but i figure in worst case you could order replacement canopy or something (i know with vista, and i think bjcm you can order replacement fabrics?).

eta: i agree with bubbaray too, i would probably make sure it was okay to take.. was also thinking of wellyes' thread a while back where she had to leave her vista int he middle of the street and it was taken.

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
I would totally grab it. I might stop and ring the bell and ask if it is garbage or just forgotten. Someone here left their stroller at a park due to an emergency and it got taken.

mom3boys
07-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes, given the recent thread on stolen strollers, I thought about that, but it was left on the curb with some other random baby items that would not normally be outside, like an old exersaucer. Looks like it was moving day and got left behind. Ok, if it's still there I'll get it. Of course it's raining now so it will be soaked. Who can tell me how to fold an MBUD?

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Gosh, I haven't owned MB in at least 2yrs (and it was a single), but IIRC there are two black levers that slide down on the lower sides of the silver footrest.

Maybe just leave a note that you've taken it? Sounds like it was meant to "go".

Great find!

FWIW, cleaning is a snap with a brush, some warm soapy water (I use Dawn) and a hose.

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 05:22 PM
you might be able to get a new canopy (won't match if the seat fabric is faded) or all new skins either from MB or off of StrollerSwap.

In the meantime, I'd totally duct tape the canopy. I mean, its free! :)

bubbaray
07-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Video of new version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S44TmXZvA14

Fold is demo'd at 5min or so. The levers are MUCH smaller (you really have to look for them) on the older models and they aren't dials, they are just sliders.

poohbear
07-08-2011, 07:53 PM
There are two levers at the bottom of the metal plate. Pull them down. Make sure the front wheels are both facing forward.

mom3boys
07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks all! I got it. I did pull the levers down by the footwell to fold, thanks for the help!

I still don't think I got it down as flat as it can go, but anyway enough to fit in my trunk (some nice girls walking by, about 20 years old, offered to help me, since I was in the pouring rain and 9 months pregnant, at which point I had to admit to them I was taking it off the street--not my finest moment!). And bubbaray, good suggestion about the note, I did leave one on the door, so if I was in error taking it the people can contact me to get it back, but I think that's unlikely given the other stuff left there.

I probably need to get a replacement canopy and maybe a new basket underneath (there is a small hole in the current one), so I will see if I can get them on strollerswap but otherwise doesn't look bad and can't beat the price :)

WatchingThemGrow
07-08-2011, 09:10 PM
might be the best curb-shopping I've ever heard about! Congrats. Use duct tape to fix the basket.

ECUPirateMom
07-08-2011, 09:12 PM
i'm excited for you!! a free MB??? its like Christmas in July or something! post pics if you can!! :)

mom3boys
07-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I will clean it first and then post pics! And I may be able to fix the canopy by just stitching up the holes where the wire is jutting out. I'm not much for sewing but I can try. Regardless, the frame looks to be in good shape so if I need to get new canopy or skins it might be worth it.

arivecchi
07-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Wow! Awesome! Free MB! Can't beat it. :jammin:

blondflava
07-08-2011, 09:39 PM
YAY!!! What a find! Post pictures if you can :)

Kaylee31
07-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow, great find! Hopefully you can fix the canopy. I know you can order a new one from MB, but it looks like they're OOS right now.
http://shop.mountainbuggy.com/parts/pre-2010/double-urban
I would throw a couple of cute Mac liners on there too to spruce it up a bit. :)

gamma
07-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Both swivel wheels have to be forward not under the stroller when you fold it. The stroller will collapse flat.

mackmama
07-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Score!!! :cheerleader1:

mom3boys
07-10-2011, 11:32 PM
A couple of pictures as requested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65062763@N02/sets/72157627041722531/

Well, I vacuumed and washed the seats and canopy and fixed a broken bracket, but due to the nature of the fading it still "looks" dirty in pictures. And I might have to armor-all the tires or something, I wiped them down but they still seem a little dingy (I can't really hose the stroller down, I have very limited outdoor space and no outdoor connection for my hose, oddly, we do own a hose though!), that said, it doesn't look much worse than some MBUDs I see on CL. Oh and is there anyway to fix the footplate? It is a little bent. I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet but that did no good.

bubbaray
07-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Wow, that is in GREAT shape for FREE! I'm very impressed. It actually d/n look faded to me (assuming it was navy to start with).

I'd call MB about the footplate.

GREAT SCORE!

mom3boys
07-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I must say that after I cleaned it (especially the canopy) it was really more dirty than faded, the canopy is actually not too bad except for the wire sticking out (I put some black electrical tape to hold it in for now, may sew it in the future) . It is just along the sides where the fabric wraps around the frame, and in parts of the seats that there is fading. And the seats look a little slouchy but I think that is typical MB.

blue
07-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Wow! Great find :thumbsup:! ..... I also like that you left a note on the door where you found the stroller encase they left it outside on accident (I doubt they did from what you said, but it was nice that you did :)).