PDA

View Full Version : Bee+ bad reviews?

alirebco
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
So looking on Amazon, it seems like people don't like the Bee+ but I've seen everyone rave about it on here. I was seriously considering replacing my Vista and Quest with a Bee+ and a Bob but now I am not so sure.

So for those who have a Bee+ or have used one, tell me what you love about the Bee and what you hate about it. And why are there so many bad reviews on Amazon??

poohbear
07-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I love the push (which rivals a BOB) and steering, ease of use, ability to parent face or front face, ease of folding, upright seat, ability to raise the seat to accomodate taller children and ability to change it up. Adjustable handlebar, light weight, easy to add a rider board, I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it...

I don't love that you can't really hang an SK Buggy buddy console on it.
Oh, and my front wheels were skittery with no kid in the stroller, but they sent me a piece to fix that - I haven't had a chance to put it on yet though.

I would take the advice of people here over amazon.

alirebco
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Hmm, I thought people don't care for the fold.

I definitely trust reviews here over Amazon but I just found it odd that there were some really bad reviews on Amazon.

Anyone else want to give input on the Bee+?

Kaylee31
07-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I think part of it is that most of the bad reviews are for the Bee minus. That is one flaw of Amazon-- they will put all the reviews together even if some for an older model. I've noticed this with the Bumbleride Flyer reviews too. And some reviewers don't even seem to know the differences between the 2; or specify what model year they have.

alirebco
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I thought that too at first, but when I looked at the date of the reviews, it didn't seem to match up. When did the Bee+ come out again?

krobbin
07-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I think the bee+ is 2010 or newer. The amazon listing for 'bee complete' is a bee minus (I think, others can certainly call foul here if I'm wrong)

Amazon does combine reviews from different model years, but it sounds like you looked at the dates. I mean if there's only 5 reviews and one of them is 1 star, that will definitely bring down the rating. As my friends say "haters gonna hate" - the bee isn't for everyone I guess ;)

As far as I can tell, the majority of people love their bee+

Kaylee31
07-08-2011, 09:49 PM
2010. I used to think they were just hideous and looked like mini wheelchairs. Now all the hype from the Bee lovers has made me want one too! :p

Multimama
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
I also think the Bee+ gets bad reviews sometimes just because it is really expensive. People want their stroller to cook dinner for them after they spend that much on it.

Here are some complaints I've heard:

• seat is hard to rotate, not intuitive (this may be improved with the new version, but it's still not obvious, takes practice)
• wheels are not AT (don't push well through gravel etc.)
• seat is low to the ground (so LO seems far away from you - but Poohbear says it's not an issue)
• doesn't have a bassinet option (but some people have invented their own)
• accessories are pricey (I mean, you have to buy the canopy separately!)
• bugaboo customer service sometimes gives people the run around (it seems to have declined in recent years, they are also *very* picky about proof of purchase)
• it is not *that* light for a lightweight stroller (almost 20 lbs, I think??)
• it can be hard on the eyes (what did poohbear used to call it, a tiny wheelchair? - I think the person who designed it used to design wheelchairs)
• price (wow, that is a pricey stroller!)

That's all I can think of right now. I've never owned one so take anything I say with a grain of salt. And definitely check with Poohbear before selling your cocoon on Ebay (so to speak).

poohbear
07-09-2011, 04:59 AM
I also think the Bee+ gets bad reviews sometimes just because it is really expensive. People want their stroller to cook dinner for them after they spend that much on it.

Here are some complaints I've heard:

• seat is hard to rotate, not intuitive (this may be improved with the new version, but it's still not obvious, takes practice)
• wheels are not AT (don't push well through gravel etc.)
• seat is low to the ground (so LO seems far away from you - but Poohbear says it's not an issue)
• doesn't have a bassinet option (but some people have invented their own)
• accessories are pricey (I mean, you have to buy the canopy separately!)
• bugaboo customer service sometimes gives people the run around (it seems to have declined in recent years, they are also *very* picky about proof of purchase)
• it is not *that* light for a lightweight stroller (almost 20 lbs, I think??)
• it can be hard on the eyes (what did poohbear used to call it, a tiny wheelchair? - I think the person who designed it used to design wheelchairs)

That's all I can think of right now. I've never owned one so take anything I say with a grain of salt. And definitely check with Poohbear before selling your cocoon on Ebay (so to speak).

On the plus, the seat is SUPER easy to reverse - I did it on the first try and never had a problem with it (Hollie from baby gizmo gives a tip on her review). It was one of the fixes from the minus to the plus

I don't really find it to be heavier than my BJCM, but obviously it's not a Maclaren Triumph.

Obviously you know the low seat doesn't bother me. I honestly would have never thought it was that low if someone hadn't mentioned it.

Can push through rougher terrain if you lock the front wheels, but it's not an AT. Neither are most other strollers in this class.

Agree with other points, however resale is HIGH. So maybe over three years it costs you $150-200 (assuming you paid full price new), but so would a graco...

All and all, it's a great stroller. There is no holy grail out there IMO, but for me, it comes close. And I used to think it was a ridiculous stroller and a ridiculous waste of money.

Hmm, I thought people don't care for the fold.

I definitely trust reviews here over Amazon but I just found it odd that there were some really bad reviews on Amazon.

Anyone else want to give input on the Bee+?

The fold doesn't bother me at all. It's not as easy as the BJCM, but easier than most. You just pull two triggers (while pushing in a button on one of the triggers) and it folds itself. Unfolding, you just push down on the brake and it unfolds. Sometimes it takes a little effort to unfold, but it doesn't bother me at all...

Honestly, you just have to go with your gut. I find that amazon reviewers tend to be pretty skewed - it's not the site I would go to for reviews in general (as PP said, haters are gonna hate), I haven't checked out the reviews to know what they're saying. I bought mine based on the advice of a friend and people on here and on swap (and haven't seen any negative reviews here and really none on swap either), but if you're concerned, maybe it's not the stroller for you... It is a big chunk o change for a stroller.

krobbin
07-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Oh my, I never thought of it that way, but it does kind of look like one! :rotflmao:

Multimama
07-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Can push through rougher terrain if you lock the front wheels, but it's not an AT. Neither are most other strollers in this class.

Yeah, I know. I was just listing complaints I had heard about it. I wouldn't expect a stroller with those wheels to be AT, but I think some people hear about the great Bugaboo push and then the price tag and the just assume it can do it all, you know?

poohbear
07-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Yep, I call it the tiny wheelchair. But... I do think the plus looks much better (and much less like a wheelchair) than the minus. I'm not a fan of the looks of the minus... I also like the wheels better on the plus (the star wheel vs. the solid white disc)

meggswife
07-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I had never thought about it looking liking a tiny wheelchair until I heard you comment awhile back - now that's what I see when I look at it. :) I really wish they would release a black chassis like they did with the special edition Cam. That would look great IMHO. :)

mackmama
07-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I have the Bee+, and here is my review :) I believe the Bee+ came out in 2010.

Pros:
-adjustable handlebar
-reversible
-huge basket which is easy to access
-pretty lightweight for a reversible
-fantastic push
-full recline on seat so safe for a newborn (no need for a carrycot/bassinet)
-great optional travel bag (but $$)

Cons:
-very low seat to the ground: this does bother me quite a bit. I don't like DC that close to the ground (close to exhaust, dogs, etc), and it's hard on my back to bend so far over to get DC in/out.
-the fold: Unfolding it is easy. Folding it is very annoying with the 2-step folding of the seatback when rear-facing. DH wants to sell it solely because of the fold.
-no follow-the-sun canopy
-no air tires
-expensive accessories (cocoon, travel bag, canopy, etc)
-when rear-facing, the seatback is kind of floppy (not a tight fold once it's folded)
-no peekaboo window

I have decided not to sell our Bee+ because the pros outweigh the cons for us. I think it'd be almost a perfect stroller if the seat was higher with a follow-the-sun canopy, and it had air tires. (I'd even be willing to deal with the fold in that case.) Please feel free to ask any questions I didn't cover. HTH!

MamaBear
07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
I LOVE my Bee+! I'm definitely a Bugaboo devotee, that much is certain, but I do find they're worth the money - to me, at least. I love the push (nearly telepathic!), the fold is a snap (whichever way the seat is facing), it couldn't be easier to reverse the seat, and the full suspension gives a delightful ride. The extendible seatback and bottom make it easy to adjust the harness for either of my kids, and even my super-tall preschooler can still fit with room to spare. (His head touched the Cam canopy by 2.5 years or so.)

What don't I like about it? Hm. Compared to the Cam, the basket is somewhat smaller than I was used to. The light weight makes it feel slightly less sturdy, but again that's comparing to my Cam and my tank (ie, Mutsy).

The only other thing I don't like about it is that it was recently mangled by an airline :hopmad: But a couple of days ago they confirmed that they will replace it for me - yippee!

AnnieW625
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
2010. I used to think they were just hideous and looked like mini wheelchairs. Now all the hype from the Bee lovers has made me want one too! :p

that made me LOL! So true I didn't see all of the good of them until I pushed one in a store once. Wow! I think that was a Bee-, but I had already had a Vista so I didn't need to spend more money another $500 stroller. The Bee+ was even better, but again no need for one. A friend of mine has never complained about using one at stroller strides (she is not a runner) so there must be something that works about it. Had it been out in 2006 when I had DD1 I probably would've given it a closer look.

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Yep, I call it the tiny wheelchair. But... I do think the plus looks much better (and much less like a wheelchair) than the minus. I'm not a fan of the looks of the minus... I also like the wheels better on the plus (the star wheel vs. the solid white disc)Is there a pic comparison anywhere? I'd love to see the differences!

poohbear
07-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Is there a pic comparison anywhere? I'd love to see the differences!

Here's a video from magic beans that shows the differences as well as the two side by side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4N2iX_QeSA&feature=player_embedded

PGTB
07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I was seriously considering replacing my Vista and Quest with a Bee+ and a Bob but now I am not so sure.

a Bee+ and a Bob :love-retry:

This is my ideal combo, except I also have a Micralite FF Superlite, so I have it covered in the AT department. :yay:

I think you will love it and it will be something different to try.

So, here is my utterly honest review of the Bee+, I hope it helps you with your decision/analysis of the bad reviews on Amazon.

I was one of the earlier Bee+ enthusiasts here who got it back in August last year when everyone here was pretty lukewarm towards it. I was using it for a few months as my one and only stroller in NYC starting when DS was only 3 months old. Now almost a year later I still love this stroller, but after being exposed to a few of others, I can't say I would be happy having the Bee+ as my one and only stroller, not an issue for you when having a Bob.

Pluses (i will list unique features not easily found in other strollers especially together):

- Compact reversible, love DS facing me and doesn't feel like too much stroller for the older toddler.
- easy and compact fold with seat attached in both directions
- takes infant car seat without having to remove the main stroller seat. great for car trips and travel.
- small footprint (as much as a typical umbrella) and great maneuverability one handed. No small cramped place is off limits with the Bee.
- amazing push
- great basket and stability - ability to carry lots of cargo.
- adjustable handlebar - most strollers in its class don't have this.
- Newborn friendly, nap friendly - reclines flat and has extendable seat bottom like the legrest. DS sleeps great in it and the canopy covers the sleeping baby very well.

Things I gripe about:

- Main thing: very bumpy on some surfaces (rough gravel, cobblestone, tree roots) and can get stuck going over raised obstacles on bad sidewalks. Not great going up/down curbs - a must for us to dodge the crowds on busy sidewalks. It is not tippy, which makes it harder to raise the front wheels to go over obstacles, so you have to watch where you are going.

The other gripes are pretty minor and may not bother many other users.

- Canopy is not great for the babies that hate their view to be obstructed. You end up using only half of the canopy.

- You need to remove the seat in order to reverse it, so not great if you want to change the direction your baby is facing mid-stroll. I used to take the Cam's seat by the handlebar with sleeping DS and reverse the seat direction very easily without getting him out of the stroller. I missed that ability when we used the bee.

- Raincover design is flawed. When parent facing the basket of the stroller is exposed and will get soaking wet - i wish they made a flap to go longer on the back. It also requires the canopy to be fully extended, which my DS will not tolerate and makes ventilation poor.

- when unfolding the stroller in parent facing mode the bottom seat and the break pedal you need to press come too close and clamp together. It's hard sometimes to squeeze your foot in between to unfold the stroller.

I wish that at least the front wheels of the stroller would have softer or adjustable suspension. The suspension will not engage much when there is a lightweight baby in the stroller, it works much better when the stroller is fully loaded. It would be great if it had swappable air tires with slightly larger size maybe 8" or even 10"? It would negatively reflect on the compactness and the fold, but for those using it as their main stroller and not folding it, this would be a great feature. The current wheels are great too, they are rubber and feel as close to air tires as solid wheels can. EVA wheels and plastic are much worse. I just wish they were a bit thicker sometimes to avoid getting stuck in some places. A little observation - it feels better in forward facing mode, it is a bit bumpier when the baby is facing you. I only use it in parent facing mode though given my other strollers don't reverse.

PGTB
07-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Which particular bad reviews are you concerned about the most? maybe we can tell you if the same is an issue for us too.

It seems the list of negative features is quite subjective just reading through the posts in this thread. What bothers one user may not bother another one.

for example, I am not bothered by the seat being low to the ground, I don't think it is, honestly, compared to a standard umbrella stroller like Mac it is higher off the ground. I am also not bothered by the fold, I find it quite easy. I am sometimes bothered by the un-folding because I always forget to put the break on and that leaves me no space to squeeze my foot to open it.

The way it handles the bumpy terrain also may not be an issue for many other users if they mainly use this as a car stroller for smooth sidewalks, mall use. This stroller will rock your world if you use it on smoother surfaces :D I think I would not want anything else for my everyday stroller had I not had to hike 4 miles on avg. over terrible sidewalks dodging curbs with it.

mackmama
07-11-2011, 04:38 PM
- when unfolding the stroller in parent facing mode the bottom seat and the break pedal you need to press come too close and clamp together. It's hard sometimes to squeeze your foot in between to unfold the stroller.

This bugs us, too. DH and I both stumble many times trying to fit our foot on the pedal with the seat in the way. We always feel like people must think we're such clowns slipping off the stroller again and again.

LoveBeingMrs
07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
The only other thing I don't like about it is that it was recently mangled by an airline :hopmad: But a couple of days ago they confirmed that they will replace it for me - yippee!

Yikes, what happened?! Did you gate check it? How did you get the airline to agree to replace it for you?? :boogie:

roseyloxs
07-13-2011, 02:46 AM
I am sometimes bothered by the un-folding because I always forget to put the break on and that leaves me no space to squeeze my foot to open it.

Good idea. I have never even thought to put the break on to make unfolding easier. I have gotten much better at it over time but little tips always help.

I almost sold my bee plus multiple times. For me it actually took me some time to get used to the spongy feel of the suspension on the Bee. I am used to strolling with double AT strollers which have a more rugged type feel to me. Also the Bee kept sliding off slanted sidewalks on me and that was very annoying. I have since learned if I lock the front wheels then this doesn't happen.

I also find the stroller to be very stiff in all its parts. The brake is the exception, very easy to do and undo the brake. The recline though requires some force on my part to do as does unfolding the stroller as previously mentioned. I don't like feeling like I have to manhandle my stroller and that's how the recline and unfold make me feel sometimes. Folding is super easy though.

All in all I am glad I have kept it. It has been my one and only stroller for the 3 months I was nomad with no home. I have been informed on here that it has a low max weight but I have loaded my bee up with both children (65+ lbs) and it's still fantastic. So I choose to ignore that. I am in the school of thought that the more expensive something is the more abuse it should take and so far the Bee is living up to that philosophy.

ijopint
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
personally I like my Bee better than my Cam designed wise. the harness and the seatback is better than Cam IMO it reminds me a backpack designed. I have the Bee - and I do not have any problem with it so far.