PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with being the 3rd wheel?

KpbS
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
We have some friends we know a bit socially. The DHs all get along and like each other equally well but the two other women are much closer friends (to each other) than I am to either of them. One I know would like to get to know me better but the other woman is not interested in developing a friendship. I'm really ok with it but it does grow old when we get together. I've tried to lower my expectations but how do you handle being the third wheel?

DietCokeLover
07-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I think that is so hard. Females just don't usually work well in odd numbers. I don't have any really good advice, other than to go into the situation knowing that the one lady is not going to be someone you are going to have a great relationship with. Maybe if you can adjust your expectations, it won't feel so awkward. Also, maybe invite a fourth couple that you are all familiar with to join the group may throw some more balance to the group.

wencit
07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure about the dynamics of the friendship, but is it possible for you to invite the lady that you're close to, without inviting the other one? Maybe just have her family over for a casual play date or dinner or whatever?

:hug: Being a third wheel is just so awkward and sucky!